PDA

View Full Version : Artificer Half-golem

Seth62
2011-05-26, 09:45 AM
I want to make my human artificer like a construct but I don't want to take the renegade mastermaker because it's ten levels. I found half golem and by DM is allowing me to forgo the int and cha loss if I make it a level so I am doing this. I need to now which limb to take.
http:///Users/student/Desktop/Picture 3.png
http:///Users/student/Desktop/Picture 2.png
http:///Users/student/Desktop/Picture 1.png

Halae
2011-05-26, 09:57 AM
If you can manage it, the two best ones are clay and Iron, with clay coming out ahead. Iron gives you the highest boosts, such as strength +12 (!!!), but clay golem gives you immunity to piercing and slashing, meaning bludgeoning weapons are all that damage you, and even then they need to be adamantine to get past damage reduction, which is all kinds of crazy awesome

Seth62
2011-05-26, 10:06 AM
Oh you can only get one kind of limb :smallfrown: so there are no Iron, brass, clay, dragonflesh, golems running about.

Undercroft
2011-05-26, 10:37 AM
I'd lose a leg for it. You can always hide it with trousers/robes/whatever. An iron/clay arm is likely to attract attention.

Your DM may houserule a clay's DR away though, so find out first if he'll let you keep it. If you can, go clay. If not go iron.

McSmack
2011-05-26, 10:49 AM
I'm assuming he's not going to let you play a warforged? They're not JUST Eberron specific, they were listed in the MM3, I believe.

But yeah clay if you can keep the immunities, otherwise go iron.

Seth62
2011-05-26, 11:39 AM
I can play as a warforged and you can also apply the half-golem template to warforged, I just like the extra feat. But do you think a warforged would be better? As for the limb I am going with clay and I am going to have the outside layer fired with prestidigitation so that it looks normal till I am attacked so in town it looks like weird artificial limb and because I'm an artificer thats believable.

This a Faerun Campaign but anything from eberron can be used, it is simply an alternative material plane in our game.

true_shinken
2011-05-26, 11:47 AM
Half-golem has HEAVY penalties to mental stats and no listed LA, so I wouldn't use it (even though Dorn Graybrook kicks all kinds of ass).
What I suggest is judicious use of warforged grafts (Magic of Eberron, I believe) and construct grafts (Fiend Folio).
The Mighty Arms graft for example is really cheap - just 1000gp or so.

Tokuhara
2011-05-26, 11:50 AM
I can play as a warforged and you can also apply the half-golem template to warforged, I just like the extra feat. But do you think a warforged would be better? As for the limb I am going with clay and I am going to have the outside layer fired with prestidigitation so that it looks normal till I am attacked so in town it looks like weird artificial limb and because I'm an artificer thats believable.

This a Faerun Campaign but anything from eberron can be used, it is simply an alternative material plane in our game.

Warforged is better for artificer because you can heal yourself, thus giving the party healer a lighter load to deal with. Plus, you have racial substitution levels for Warforged artificer and you can dip 5 into Spellcarved Soldier and add runes to your body. As weird advice, here's what I'd suggest for maximum fun:

Race: Half-Clay Golem Psiforged (take the Psiforged body feat to have crystals growing out of you)
Class: Psychic Warforged Artificer (Hence the Psiforged) 12/Warforged Paragon (http://home.arcor.de/geraldim/ebbparagon.pdf) 3/Spellcarved Soldier 5

You are a Warforged with a Clay framework, crystals growing from your body, and runes carved into both steel and clay.

Seth62
2011-05-26, 01:07 PM
Not familiar with the paragon nor am I familiar with Spellcarved Soldier were would you find these?

Tokuhara
2011-05-26, 01:19 PM
Not familiar with the paragon nor am I familiar with Spellcarved Soldier were would you find these?

Spellcarved Soldier is from Magic of Eberron and the Paragon is in the Link tag in the name (just click on it.)