PDA

View Full Version : [3.P] Mercenary Character

Bugbeartrap
2011-05-26, 01:27 PM
Help! My DM told me to make a level 7 character with a level 4 apprentice for a one shot we plan on doing this week. He says for the most part the 2 will be together and we should be mindful of survival and endurance. My first build was a batmanesque gnome artificer and his construct companion, but my DM says we are using half WBL and the concept is the higher level characters are aging mercenaries going on one last hurrah, so I don't think our concepts mesh. I trust my DM's vision, so I want to try to come up with something to fit this concept.

I have access to almost all books and dragon material may be allowed if I can obtain it. I am hoping to play something besides a fullcaster because I usually play one (and outshine my buddies). Bonus points if I get to use an older age category!

FMArthur
2011-05-26, 04:36 PM
What immediately springs to mind is, do you want the apprentice to have greater potential than the master? That's sort of a staple of such relationships in fantasy heroes.

For example, something like a Fighter training a Warblade might work. The Fighter's advantage in levels gives it access to more powerful things than a lower-level Warblade has, but when it comes time to pass the torch (ie the Master is dying, which is all but inevitable in this sort of plot) the apprentice will have learned what he needs and is coming into his own. Fighter -> Warblade is also good because many maneuvers are directly comparable to combat feats, their whole purpose in fact being to take the burden off of feats as your defining combat purpose to place it on class features instead.

Ranger is also very good for the Master if not better, since they have something to do with their mental stats, get similar style-defining feat access to a Fighter via Dragon material (alternate Combat Styles), get some spells that are very similar to maneuvers, and are bizarrely more customizable than Fighters due to the plethora of ACFs they get. Mystic Ranger is almost a must here, since you won't want a Ranger animal companion and you'll get enough Ranger spells to partially imitate a Warblade in combat. The awareness-focused skillset and spells also allow a Master to still demonstrate his superior expertise and wisdom even after being surpassed in combat capabilities.

Bugbeartrap
2011-05-26, 04:46 PM
Thank you! I love the idea of fighter to warblade, and now that you mention it, my DM did hint that it was a one-shot with potential to go on, if we so chose.

Unfortunately, the one of the other party members already has a ranger to barbarian set up. Because I just finished playing a stealthy character as well, I think I might do a commander type character. Perhaps something like a Bardblade? Is this too equipment-based/15minute adventuring day sort of build for an endurance adventure?

The Glyphstone
2011-05-26, 04:48 PM
Howbout a Marshal/Fighter, training a Warblade with lots of White Raven maneuvers?

Greenish
2011-05-26, 05:28 PM
Low wealth isn't a reason to shelve the artificer, but quite the opposite. Low WBL hurts non-casters, while an artificer can craft a bunch of great items, and there are always the infusions.

Of course, you seem fond of the new concept, so go for it. I'm just pointing the wealth thing out for general edification. :smallcool:

The Glyphstone
2011-05-26, 09:26 PM
It's a oneshot, though - the artificer shines in campaigns, but it's doubtful here he will get either crafting materials or crafting time.

Greenish
2011-05-26, 09:28 PM
It's a oneshot, though - the artificer shines in campaigns, but it's doubtful here he will get either crafting materials or crafting time.Well, if you could craft at character creation…

And there are still infusions and whatnot.

Bugbeartrap
2011-05-27, 12:19 PM
While I'm sure I could craft at character creation, and being an artificer and doubling the wealth I have would be powerful, and effectively negate the handicap, I feel like it goes against the story my DM wants to tell. The motivation for this "last" adventure is that the older mercs have spent most of their loot, and are looking to win back some glory.

So, while I love my gnomish batman, I'm going to shelve him and find something that fits the narrative a bit more. Although I eagerly await when I can play in a campaign with an artificer.