PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a monster.

Mr.Christie
2011-05-26, 02:23 PM
I am currently DMing a game with a few friends and was wondering if there was a Kitsune printed in any books? If there isn't any I will be willing to use homebrew you suggest.

McSmack
2011-05-26, 02:30 PM
I might be mistaken but I believe the old Oriental Adventures 3.0 book had an anthropomorphic fox base race. Well IIRC it had several different animals. But I could be completely wrong. It's been a long time since I looked at that book.

Tvtyrant
2011-05-26, 02:35 PM
There is an anthropomorphic fox in Savage Species, and you can take a tentacle creature and refluff for a kitsune that uses its tails as weapons.

Mauther
2011-05-26, 03:56 PM
wotc never made one, but there is a homebrew at DanDwiki.com. Just do a search for "kitsune d20". Under LA for my taste (+4 Dex/-2 CON, permanent True Seeing, and the Scent ability) at only a LA +1.

erikun
2011-05-26, 04:33 PM
No, there isn't.

The Hengeyokai from Oriental Adventures 3.0 are shapeshifters: animals who can turn into humans, basically. Fox Hengeyokai can turn into human, foxes, or a fox/human hybrid. They just have +2 Dex and -2 Wis, though, and no special "kitsune-ish" powers.

Savage Species has rules for turning MM animals into anthropomorphic humanoids, but again, that's for a fox walking on two legs, not a kitsune.

There have been a few homebrew attempts at a kitsune race. Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154696) and here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192293) are two, although you'll note that getting all the kitsune's abilities in there without being overpowered is a bit tricky.

Arbitrarious
2011-05-26, 04:40 PM
Depends what kitsune abilities we are talking about. There are a lot of myths and they demonstrate different sets of abilities though things like assuming human form, with various degrees of success, are more common then others.

I think a hengeyoki is the best option and use class levels or maybe templates to grant them their more magical abilities to flesh out your idea. What abilities do you think a kitsune should have?

holywhippet
2011-05-26, 06:46 PM
There was a werefox in 2nd edition D&D - I don't think it got updated for 3rd edition though.

Greenish
2011-05-26, 06:58 PM
There was a werefox in 2nd edition D&D - I don't think it got updated for 3rd edition though.3.5 has the Lycanthrope template, so you can make a werefox (if you were to find fox's stats from somewhere).

Tvtyrant
2011-05-26, 07:01 PM
Take Greater Barghest, add 9 tentacle attacks with improved grab, add some illusions, win.