PDA

View Full Version : E6 Archer/ranged

NeverSleep
2011-05-26, 03:31 PM
I'm playing in an E6 game, and I need advice on an archer or ranged type build. I would like it to be "rogue-y"/"ranger-y" with some skills, etc.

Psionics ok, tob ok, most is ok as long as cheese isn't to bad. All core and srd no questions. Other stuff on approval.

Whattaya got playground?

Eldariel
2011-05-26, 03:44 PM
I'm playing in an E6 game, and I need advice on an archer or ranged type build. I would like it to be "rogue-y"/"ranger-y" with some skills, etc.

Psionics ok, tob ok, most is ok as long as cheese isn't to bad. All core and srd no questions. Other stuff on approval.

Whattaya got playground?

Straight Ranger, Ranger/Fighter/Barbarian, Ranger/Barbarian, Ranger/Scout, straight Rogue, and various psionic classes all offer solid options. Cleric isn't bad either, though kinda loses out on the skill-stuff you wanted. Ranger is probably the base you want barring a Sneak Attacker (which would rely a bit on magic items though).

the_archduke
2011-05-26, 03:50 PM
Pixie Warlock with wild talent. Get psionic shot, psionic meditation and eldritch spear. You are now a flying, invisible artillery platform that can hit anything within 250' with a touch attack for 5d6, all day, forever.

Edit: I guess this is light on skills, but I'd like to see a better sniper in E6

Who needs hide/move silently when you have greater invisibility at will? Thats a 4th level spell. The easy ways to counter it aren't really available in E6.

Essence_of_War
2011-05-26, 04:03 PM
Pixie is LA+4 right?

1d6 is hardly an artillery platform.

the_archduke
2011-05-26, 04:14 PM
E6 Rules

level adjustment is handled with a lower point buy. A pixie at +4 LA gets a zero point buy. This gives a pixie in E6

STR 4
DEX 16
CON 8
INT 14
WIS 12
CHA 14

Definitely playable. 6 levels of warlock give 3d6 eldritch blast. Psionic shot adds 2d6 to each. You just need to be able to use a move action to recharge psionic shot. That is what psionic meditation is for.

the_archduke
2011-05-26, 04:15 PM
*double post*

NeverSleep
2011-05-26, 04:17 PM
Pixie is LA+4 right?

1d6 is hardly an artillery platform.

Also, I'm probably not going to get any +LA races. Pretty much standard races mainly, though I'm open to hearing the suggestions.

Urpriest
2011-05-26, 04:19 PM
Scout 3/Ranger 3 with Swift Hunter isn't a bad choice either. Scout is pretty much the go-to class for ranger-y rogue-y archer, and E6 means you don't even need any tricks to get a full attack off.

Hyfigh
2011-05-26, 04:26 PM
Scout 3/Ranger 3 with Swift Hunter isn't a bad choice either. Scout is pretty much the go-to class for ranger-y rogue-y archer, and E6 means you don't even need any tricks to get a full attack off.

+1
Or Scout 4/Ranger 2. You're not losing much either way. Pick your favored enemies carefully (undead for sure).

the_archduke
2011-05-26, 04:28 PM
You don't have to be a pixie. A halfling warlock could do much the same thing. Grab fell flight or walk unseen at level 6. 5d6 damage from a 250' ranged touch attack, basically at will, in E6 is godlike. If you can get a lesser chasubule of fell power (makable under E6 crafting) you bump to 6d6.

Jude_H
2011-05-26, 04:34 PM
Lightning Warrior Mystic Ranger is absolutely ridiculous in E6. Probably too ridiculous. I'm not sure where the line is here, so I'll just mention it and move on.

The simple variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#druid) Druid 6 (the one that gets Ranger Favored Enemy and Tracking and Monk AC and Speed) is very straightforward, powerful and generally agreeable (it's a core class and a variant that's generally a step down power-wise).

Psychic Warrior could work, but it misses out on some ranger-ness without multiclassing. Races of the Wild has some interesting archery powers (reprinted in Complete Psionic) that would also help.

Psychic Rogue (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b) and Marksman (http://dsp-d20-srd.wikidot.com/marksman) make interesting psionic archers. Psychic Rogue might need a little bit of finagling to act as a Ranger (the Wilderness Rogue (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#rogueVariantWilderness Rogue) variant from the srd/UA can be applied pretty directly, even though PRog steps a little further out than most variant classes). Personally, Marksman's the option I'd try to get through, just for sheer niftiness.

Savage Bard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#bardVariantSavageBard) can generate some big numbers in terms of group buffs. It's decent straight out of the SRD, but with a couple non-core expansions like Song of the Heart, Badge of Valor and Inspirational Boost, it can really shine.

You could make a pretty good Swordsage archer with Diamond Mind/Setting Sun counters, Tiger Claw/Shadow Hand stances and a smattering of utility maneuvers to balance it out. Martial Study (Iron Heart Surge) might also be worth building toward.

dextercorvia
2011-05-26, 09:15 PM
Bard1/Totemist2/Bard+2/X1

Manticore Belt+DFI

X can be anything that helps. You can fairly easily get 4 attacks at +4d6 [Fire] every round. Gets plenty of skills.

Draz74
2011-05-26, 10:17 PM
Bard1/Totemist2/Bard+2/X1

Manticore Belt+DFI

X can be anything that helps. You can fairly easily get 4 attacks at +4d6 [Fire] every round. Gets plenty of skills.

Cute. Scout might still be a good choice for the final level (is Fractional BAB allowed? I hope!). Although, in that case, it's best to take Scout first, for skill points' sake.

dextercorvia
2011-05-27, 09:05 AM
Cute. Scout might still be a good choice for the final level (is Fractional BAB allowed? I hope!). Although, in that case, it's best to take Scout first, for skill points' sake.

The spikes are a volley attack, so precsion damage isn't the best.

Darrin
2011-05-27, 11:38 AM

If you want to optimize feats:

Race: Human/Azurin/Strongheart Halfling
1) Ranger 1. Feat: PB Shot. Human: Travel Devotion. Bonus: Track.
2) Ranger 2. Bonus: Rapid Shot
3) Barbarian 1 (Whirling Frenzy variant). Feat: Precise Shot*.
4) Fighter 1. Bonus: EWP Bone Bow* (auto-adjusts to Str bonus)
5) Crusader/Warblade 1.
6) Fighter 2. Feat: Manyshot**. Bonus: Greater Manyshot**.

* = Alternately, take Knowledge Devotion at ECL 3 and Precise Shot at ECL 4.
** = Swap in Improved Rapid Shot and/or Woodland Archer if you prefer.

Crusader Maneuvers:
Battle Leader's Charge (even if you don't attack... double move without AoOs)
Crusader's Strike (hey, free healing)
Leading the Attack (use a whip)
Mountain Hammer (just too darned useful)
Shield Block (doesn't actually require shield)
Stance: Bolstering Voice

Warblade Maneuvers:
Moment of Perfect Mind or Wall of Blades
Mountain Hammer (just too darned useful)
Sudden Leap (free movement)
Stance: Hunter's Sense

If you can get Mystic Ranger (Dragon #336) approved, then try something like:

1) Ranger 1. Feat: PB Shot. Human: Travel Devotion. Bonus: Track.
2) Ranger 2.
3) Ranger 3. Feat: Precise Shot. Bonus: Rapid Shot
4) Barbarian 1 (Whirling Frenzy variant).
5) Fighter 1. Bonus: EWP Bone Bow (auto-adjusts to Str bonus)
6) Fighter 2. Feat: Manyshot. Bonus: Greater Manyshot.

Vladislav
2011-05-27, 11:43 AM
E6 Rules

level adjustment is handled with a lower point buy. A pixie at +4 LA gets a zero point buy. This gives a pixie in E6

STR 4
DEX 16
CON 8
INT 14
WIS 12
CHA 14

Definitely playable. 6 levels of warlock give 3d6 eldritch blast. Psionic shot adds 2d6 to each. You just need to be able to use a move action to recharge psionic shot. That is what psionic meditation is for.
To further optimize the damage output, five levels of Warlock and one level of Rogue, for 3d6 blast and 1d6 sneak attack (all your attacks are sneak attacks, as you're invisible). Take Craven for extra oomph. 6d6+6 damage per round at will, with a touch attack that probably only misses on a natural 1. While you're flying, invisible, and enjoy DR and SR.

MeeposFire
2011-05-27, 12:40 PM
You could make a soulbow build. Something like soulknife2/Xclass/soulbow1.

X class could be ranger, fighter, or other full BAB class. You could also go 4 levels of soulknife (just remember to use the ACFs) and just one level on non-soul knife.

Greenish
2011-05-27, 06:06 PM
To further optimize the damage output, five levels of Warlock and one level of Rogue, for 3d6 blast and 1d6 sneak attack (all your attacks are sneak attacks, as you're invisible). Take Craven for extra oomph. 6d6+6 damage per round at will, with a touch attack that probably only misses on a natural 1. While you're flying, invisible, and enjoy DR and SR.That limits you to point blank range, though.

Godskook
2011-05-27, 08:11 PM
I'm going to second the swift hunter suggestion. With improved skirmish and a source of free movement(shot on the run is *WAY* better in a high-feat E6 game), you'll being doing +4d6 on attacks, that works against at least 2 different normally precision immune enemies. You'll also have one level to play with for adding various kinds of flavor.

@Everyone suggesting fighter, if this is a 'standard' E6 game, then feats are 5kxp a piece, and spending 1/6th your levels on getting a single feat is *NOT* worth it when you can get an arbitrary number of them. He's much better off spending his levels on class abilities that either provide things he wants to do or can be used to qualify for feats he wants to use.

Eldariel
2011-05-27, 08:23 PM
I'm going to second the swift hunter suggestion. With improved skirmish and a source of free movement(shot on the run is *WAY* better in a high-feat E6 game), you'll being doing +4d6 on attacks, that works against at least 2 different normally precision immune enemies. You'll also have one level to play with for adding various kinds of flavor.

@Everyone suggesting fighter, if this is a 'standard' E6 game, then feats are 5kxp a piece, and spending 1/6th your levels on getting a single feat is *NOT* worth it when you can get an arbitrary number of them. He's much better off spending his levels on class abilities that either provide things he wants to do or can be used to qualify for feats he wants to use.

RWM can be acquired with base-Fighter with the +8 BAB capstonez.

Godskook
2011-05-27, 09:20 PM
RWM can be acquired with base-Fighter with the +8 BAB capstonez.

You'll note that nobody I was responding to mentions that, including yourself.

Eldariel
2011-05-27, 09:50 PM
You'll note that nobody I was responding to mentions that, including yourself.

I just did. I figured the reason would be obvious hence why I didn't extrapolate. In retrospect, I suppose I should have in the first place. Meh.