PDA

View Full Version : Terrain - fighting on Custard

Mauther
2011-05-26, 03:38 PM
I'm setting an encounter in bizarre terrains and one I wanted to try was treating water like a nonNewtonian fluid, roughly acting like custard. For those unfamiliar with the effect, this particular nonNewtonian essentailly solidifies under contact, but returns to liquid when pressure lessons. This is usually demonstrated by the fact that one can walk across a custard pool, but if you stop you start to sink.

In game terms it will mean players need to keep moving or they'll start to sink. How would you reflect this in game.

Allanimal
2011-05-26, 04:21 PM
That sounds like fun!

Maybe rule that as long as they move their base land speed, there is no effect. If they move less than that, their next round the terrain is considered half movement. If they still move less than their full move rate, they can no longer move, and will be sucked under in 1d6 rounds, when suffocation rules kick in.

This allows a standard action per round, as long as they keep moving. If for some reason they don't, then they have to use 2 move actions to get back to the beginning state,or they better hope a friend can pull them out...

It is pretty harsh, and any magic that slows or stops someone will be deadly...

Forged Fury
2011-05-26, 04:31 PM
Ummm...

I'd probably do it like this:

The ground starts as normal terrain. If the character doesn't move more than 10' each round, the ground changes under their feet as Marsh Terrain (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/wilderness.htm#marshTerrain) types:
Shallow Bog -> Deep Bog -> Quicksand

You can also include that if a character uses at least one move action to move their speed (whatever it happens to be due to the terrain condition), the ground stays at the same category. If they do nothing in a round but move (using two move actions), they improve the ground conditions by one level.

Edit: Semi-swordsaged! Actually, combining both would probably work well.