PDA

View Full Version : How to build a villain using inspiration from EoE

Sir_Chivalry
2011-05-26, 06:53 PM
I was reading Exemplars of Evil the other day and I wondered about their list of villainous personality traits. They list contradictory traits to flesh out villains, but I wondered, what if I gave the villain all the contradictory traits?:smallamused:

So what manner motivation and overall plan would a villain have if he/she was:

Humble
Generous
Kind
Trustworthy
Complimentary
Moderate (as opposed to gluttonous)
Tolerant
Chaste
Logical
Direct (as opposed to manipulative)
Traditional (as opposed to nihilistic)
Capricious
Organized
Modest
Forgiving

Would such a person be capable of still possessing an evil alignment? I think yes, but what's the playground's view?

Das Platyvark
2011-05-26, 06:57 PM
He could be trying his best to be all those, but still be fundamentally evil, and keep regressing. Or he could support those values, but think of them as being optional?.....

Lateral
2011-05-26, 10:13 PM
Sure, he can be all of those. Evil doesn't have to mean 'jerkass', after all.

PersonMan
2011-05-27, 08:26 AM
Would such a person be capable of still possessing an evil alignment? I think yes, but what's the playground's view?

I think they could, you'd just have more narrow possiblities for evil schemes.

For example, using a classic "I need to kill everyone so the super-evil madness thing doesn't make them go insane and die an unspeakably horrible death."

Humble: "I'm just trying to do my best, until someone better comes along..."
Kind: "People don't deserve death-by-OHGODTHEPAIN, the only way to save them is by killing them."
Trustworthy: "Why bother lying? It only slows things down if you betray your allies, and time is of the essence."
Complimentary: "These people do such a great job all of the time...It's a shame that they have to die."
Moderate (as opposed to gluttonous): "There's no reason to overdo things...I have a job to do, after all."
Tolerant: "Everyone is going to die in the end, anyways...it doesn't matter who or what you are."
Chaste: "I don't have time for that sort of thing, I have a job to do!"
Logical: "Everything goes better with a plan. I have to do things the most efficient way or I won't be able to kill everyone."
Direct (as opposed to manipulative): "Why should I beat around the bush? It only wastes time, which is of the essence here."
Traditional (as opposed to nihilistic): "That's just how things are done...Even though I'm on a mission to kill everyone I still want to uphold the Old Ways."
Capricious: "There are way too many things to do...I can't just do one at a time, it'd be too slow!" (A little twist on the normal version was necessary for this to really work.)
Organized: "Time spent lounging around or looking for things you misplaced is time wasted."
Modest: "I just happened to find this knowledge...There's really no point in acting like a grand leader when I'm not one."
Forgiving: "I need everyone to get my job done. Killing them is for after I've killed everyone else."