PDA

View Full Version : Mantle of Spells Options?

Forged Fury
2011-05-26, 07:07 PM
Hello Playground!

I'm building a Cleric/Wizard/Runesmith/Dweomerkeeper (although not for abusive reasons) and I was wondering what would make good spells for the Dweomerkeeper's Mantle of Spells class feature.

As built, I should be able to cast 2nd Level Cleric and Wizard Spells at the point in time when I get the first instance of this class feature. After that, I'm not sure. It might depend on what spells people think are worth it. I don't want to wait too long, so let's say I'm able to cast 3rd level Cleric and 4th level Wizards spells by the time I get the second instance of the class feature.

Core, Completes, SC, and any Eberron (We felt it was thematically appropriate for Aureon).

Any help would be appreciated!

gbprime
2011-05-26, 08:48 PM
I've done a very similar build. I'd recommend stopping at Cleric 1 to maximize your wizard casting. If you do, you're looking at taking Mantle of Spells 1 at 6th level wizard casting, unless you wait a level and then you get it at 7th wiz casting.

You want to use your Mantle of Spells to cover "oh s**t" moments that crop up. These are spells that you don't normally memorize, but are vital to have when the need arises. (Some are great to carry around in staff or runestaff form.) That said, here's a list of top choices I considered...

3rd - Energy Aegis, Suggestion
4th - Celerity, Dimension Door, Mass Resist Energy
5th - Break Enchantment, Mass Fire Shield, Wall of Force
6th - Globe of Invulnerability, Greater Dispel Magic, Steal Summoning
7th - Forcecage, Limited Wish
8th - Polymorph Any Object

And if you squeeze Wizard 5 in there, you can also take Spontaneous Divination ACF from Complete Champion, allowing you to also toss out any divination spell you know.

Forged Fury
2011-05-26, 09:01 PM
Oh sorry, I'm also going Mystic Theurge. I know the build isn't optimal, but let's assume it's what I'm doing, so I'm planning on going Cleric 3. I figured the Oh S#$# moments would be what I was shooting for. Thanks for a start to the list!

Tvtyrant
2011-05-26, 11:39 PM
Which book is dweomerkeeper from? Its a class I see brought up alot, but I don't recognize it.

Also, I applaud your use of Runesmith!

Urpriest
2011-05-27, 12:04 AM
Which book is dweomerkeeper from? Its a class I see brought up alot, but I don't recognize it.

Also, I applaud your use of Runesmith!

Complete Divine Web Enhancement. I think it was originally from some FR book.

Tvtyrant
2011-05-27, 12:10 AM
Complete Divine Web Enhancement. I think it was originally from some FR book.

Ah, a Metamagic reducing class. I like the class, but you could take either of its major abilities and make that into a prestige class and not be underpowered.

Forged Fury
2011-05-27, 08:33 AM
Ah, a Metamagic reducing class. I like the class, but you could take either of its major abilities and make that into a prestige class and not be underpowered.
It is a Prestige Class, or I'm confused by the comment. In any event, I'm only taking about 3 or 4 levels in it. The metamagic reducer is a level 10 capstone power.

gbprime
2011-05-27, 10:12 AM
Oh, well if you're throwing Mystic Theurge in there too and only taking a few levels in Dweomerkeeper, then you're better off skipping Dweomerkeeper altogether. Your best bet is to take the Domain Spontaneity feat (complete divine) so you get one of your domains as spontaneous casting.

Forged Fury
2011-05-27, 10:28 AM
Oh, well if you're throwing Mystic Theurge in there too and only taking a few levels in Dweomerkeeper, then you're better off skipping Dweomerkeeper altogether. Your best bet is to take the Domain Spontaneity feat (complete divine) so you get one of your domains as spontaneous casting.
Dweomerkeeper is partially flavor, since the only PrC focused on Aureon a) requires one to be a half-elf and b) sucks. We felt Dweomerkeeper really fit the Aureon theme.

I guess I should ask my question in a different way since I am not looking for build suggestions:

If you could spontaneously convert spells into a specific 1st or 2nd level Cleric or Wizard spell, what 1st or 2nd level Cleric or Wizard spell would it be?

gbprime
2011-05-27, 10:53 AM
Dweomerkeeper is partially flavor, since the only PrC focused on Aureon a) requires one to be a half-elf and b) sucks. We felt Dweomerkeeper really fit the Aureon theme.

I guess I should ask my question in a different way since I am not looking for build suggestions:

If you could spontaneously convert spells into a specific 1st or 2nd level Cleric or Wizard spell, what 1st or 2nd level Cleric or Wizard spell would it be?

Fair enough.

Best cleric spell to get spontaneously at that level is Close Wounds (2nd, Spell Compendium). It's an immediate action spell that can prevent an ally from falling to -10 HP.

Forged Fury
2011-05-27, 11:10 AM
Thanks gbprime! Any thought on a good wizard spell at those levels?

gbprime
2011-05-27, 03:05 PM
Thanks gbprime! Any thought on a good wizard spell at those levels?

If you're in a party that needs emergency healing every once in a while, Benign Transposition (1st, Spell Compendium). You can swap two party members or even have your familiar fly to a specific location and then swap with someone.

Otherwise, the winning wizard spell at that level is Alter Self (2nd, PHB). With it you can get water breathing, flight or gliding, burrowing, natural armor, or a brilliant disguise.