PDA

View Full Version : How to deal with this...

hobbitkniver
2011-05-26, 07:20 PM
So I've joined a DnD group of all people I don't know. We've played only a few times and everyone's level 2. I made a very simple Elf ranger with great stats and heavy optimization. Here comes the problem... the others are much more powerful than me because they are using not quite fair things. After we had all created our characters, the DM informs us that he things LA is stupid and he won't use it. We have a ton of people (more than 10) but only a few show up every time and its always different people. We have a half-dragon knight whose level adjustment is now +0. We have 3, count 'em, three drow who also have no LA. We have some crazy angel called a Sword Arkon (not sure if I got that right) and lastly we have a half orc with some strange class based around grapples. Basically, at level 2 it gets like +18 or more to grapple and puts the enemy to sleep if it stays grappled a turn. If it gets grappled for three turns, it automatically dies. This class is in the Warriors handbook I think. I'm just so underpowered for playing by the rules and choosing a class that people have heard of. I'm sick of only being useful outside of combat and I'm not sure what to do with this situation. Anyone else run into this kind of deal?

Cog
2011-05-26, 07:29 PM
With usual LA, a Sword Archon (BoED) is the equivalent of a 20th level character.

If he intentionally allowed this... well, it's evidence your DM might not really understand the game very much at all. Roll up another character, sit back, and enjoy the ride as best you can.

hobbitkniver
2011-05-26, 07:31 PM
With usual LA, a Sword Archon (BoED) is the equivalent of a 20th level character.

If he intentionally allowed this... well, it's evidence your DM might not really understand the game very much at all. Roll up another character, sit back, and enjoy the ride as best you can.

He definitely isnt 20th. He has like 80 health if thats any indication. He made both of his hands into +2 flaming swords and he has about +18 to sense motive. Thats all I know about him.

Lateral
2011-05-26, 07:32 PM
If he's not using RHD as well, roll up a Black Ethergaunt and have fun.

Cog
2011-05-26, 07:33 PM
He definitely isnt 20th. He has like 80 health if thats any indication. He made both of his hands into +2 flaming swords and he has about +18 to sense motive. Thats all I know about him.
11HD plus 9LA equals ECL 20. Outsider HD are pretty good, so even assuming overly high LA, that's at least into the effective teens.

dark.sun.druid
2011-05-26, 07:34 PM
Yup, I'm going to have to agree with that. LA is how the game keeps players from starting as obscenely powerful. Your DM either doesn't care or doesn't know what he's doing. Get this character killed (or have him leave the party) and hit the DM with his own rule by rolling up something absolutely obscene. Maybe he'll decide to run his next game using the LA rule. In any case, just try to have fun with the game that you're playing. If there really is no way to make the game fun for you, you should find a new DM. After all, the purpose of the game is to have fun.

EDIT: When I say "agree with that" I meant the first post by Cog, which was the only one up when I started writing.

Greenish
2011-05-26, 07:35 PM
Huh. That's quite a mess, not even counting in that one of you somehow has 5 levels in a PrC that can only be entered after fifth level.

That said, they don't seem to be doing very heavy optimization, so keeping up shouldn't be that hard (except for the Sword Archon, but eh).

tyckspoon
2011-05-26, 07:37 PM
If he's not using RHD as well, roll up a Black Ethergaunt and have fun.

He's also either oblivious to or deliberately ignoring PrC rules, as it sounds like that Half-Orc is using Reaping Mauler as a base class. So.. yeah.

I'd try to get a private contact with the DM and try to sort out if he's actually just that ignorant of how these things are supposed to work or if he's deliberately thrown any idea of balance out the window.

Cog
2011-05-26, 07:39 PM
Huh. That's quite a mess, not even counting in that one of you somehow has 5 levels in a PrC that can only be entered after fifth level.
To be fair, that guy seems to have both fewer HD and fewer LA than the archon, so he might have just seen where things were going and decided to play along.

theForce017
2011-05-26, 07:40 PM
If you don't want to roll up a new character, switch out your human race or whatever you currently are make yourself a Doppelganger and if they ask, say you look like a human (or whatever) and haven't switched yet. Trying to seem sneaky and only use your changing ability when needed. Though this may be frowned upon by many but it is just a suggestion. Good luck.

hobbitkniver
2011-05-26, 07:45 PM
He's also either oblivious to or deliberately ignoring PrC rules, as it sounds like that Half-Orc is using Reaping Mauler as a base class. So.. yeah.

I'd try to get a private contact with the DM and try to sort out if he's actually just that ignorant of how these things are supposed to work or if he's deliberately thrown any idea of balance out the window.

Yep, thats it. Thanks for reminding me. So this is a prestige class?

If you don't want to roll up a new character, switch out your human race or whatever you currently are make yourself a Doppelganger and if they ask, say you look like a human (or whatever) and haven't switched yet. Trying to seem sneaky and only use your changing ability when needed. Though this may be frowned upon by many but it is just a suggestion. Good luck.

That is in fact a great idea that I will look into.

Lateral
2011-05-26, 07:46 PM

Huh, guess so. Black Ethergaunt Tainted Scholar 2, anyone? :smallwink:

Wait, no, be a Great Wyrm Void Dragon Tainted Scholar 2 covered in about every template ever. Be the highest-CR'ed intelligent creature ever. Actually, I wonder if a Tauric Great Wyrm Void Dragon/ Black Ethergaunt works... :smallamused:

blackmage5242
2011-05-26, 07:46 PM
Or just be a Great Wyrm Gold Dragon and is using the Alternate Form to act as human.

Edit: You will then be a level 2 ranger and level 19 sorcerer.

dark.sun.druid
2011-05-26, 07:47 PM
Or just be a Great Wyrm Gold Dragon and is using the Alternate Form to act as human.

I like this one.

theForce017
2011-05-26, 07:47 PM
I realize the Doppelganger may not help you a ton in combat but at least it will give you a lot more abilities and help catch up in the LA game. Hopefully you can have some more fun outside of combat with these abilities and if you are chaotic you may be able to mess with some of the other players :smallwink:

Greenish
2011-05-26, 07:51 PM
I like this one.Me too. Grab a Sovereign Archetype of your choosing, some epic feats and the like.

Don't forget Strength of True Form, either.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-05-26, 08:33 PM
Dragonwrought Kobold, Dracolich, Evolved Undead x infinity, Loredrake, Sorcerer. Dragonwrought is a feat in Races of the Dragon, detailed in the Kobold chapter of that book. Dracolich is in the Draconomicon, Evolved Undead is in Libris Mortis, Loredrake is a dragon archtype in Dragons of Eberron.

Jude_H
2011-05-26, 08:39 PM
If these folks are having fun with it, the answer's probably to join in.

I'd probably go with an Awakened Tyrannosaurus Cleric Wizard.
Maybe half-fey for the butterfly wings.

Laendri
2011-05-26, 08:54 PM
whatever u choose add vampire and semigolem templates. xD
Totally adsurd, being a dragon-vampire-robotarm-lookalikehuman thing... this DM is nuts.

Divide by Zero
2011-05-26, 09:15 PM
Just screw it all and play as Death (http://d20npcs.wikia.com/wiki/Death,_CR_373).

Lateral
2011-05-26, 09:18 PM
Just screw it all and play as Death (http://d20npcs.wikia.com/wiki/Death,_CR_373).

Just screw it all and play as Death? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_(Discworld)) :smalltongue:

Greenish
2011-05-26, 09:26 PM
Just screw it all and play as Death? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_(Discworld)) :smalltongue:Max ranks in Profession (Cook) and Wild Empathy for cats?

myancey
2011-05-26, 09:34 PM
If these folks are having fun with it, the answer's probably to join in.

I'd probably go with an Awakened Tyrannosaurus Cleric Wizard.
Maybe half-fey for the butterfly wings.

This is my favorite.

But seriously, beholder mage elder orb/eye tyrant.

erikun
2011-05-26, 09:46 PM
Huh, guess so. Black Ethergaunt Tainted Scholar 2, anyone? :smallwink:
Ethergaunt spellcasting stacks with Wizard casting, not other classes. You'd only want a single level of Tainted Scholar to boost your save DCs/spell slots, so Black Ethergaunt Necropolitan Tainted Scholar 1/Wizard 1.

On a more serious note, I'd take advantage of this to play a Lillend/Bard or Rakshasa/Sorcerer without the crippling LA on either of those. Being an 8th/9th level caster at level 2 might be a bit much, though.

ZeroSpace9000
2011-05-26, 10:16 PM
Needless to say, but LA rules should be applied in the same way the laws of gravity are applied in this world. By which I mean they should be in place at all times.

myancey
2011-05-26, 10:18 PM
Or play a phaerimm from FR since they have crazy leveling on their casting abilities...

Shpadoinkle
2011-05-26, 10:37 PM

Edit: You will then be a level 2 ranger and level 19 sorcerer.

Pretty much what I was going to say.

Rei_Jin
2011-05-26, 10:40 PM
Pfft... what's the level adjustment on an overdeity? :smallwink:

Kalaska'Agathas
2011-05-26, 11:33 PM
Pfft... what's the level adjustment on an overdeity? :smallwink:

Pazuzu Pazuzu Pazuzu?

On a more serious note, I like the Great Wyrm Gold Dragon (preferably with the Loredrake Sovereign Archetype and the Spellhoarding and Riddled Psychoses) as it lets you make minimal changes to the character (at least from in game appearances) and lets you catch up to the ridiculousness of everyone else. And you might even go Necropolitan (or Ghost (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040117a) using the savage progression I linked and the feat Ghostly Grasp (and Strength of the True Form!!!)) and take a level in Tainted Scholar for that ridiculousness. Then I'd go Incantatrix or Shadowcraft Mage (or both) and maybe Metaphysical Spellshaper and Archmage and any other crazy PrCs you care to add, and go to town.

If you, like some, prefer to play a game which isn't so crazy from the get go, I might recommend do the above and start looking for a different DM with sensibilities more in line with your own.

Tvtyrant
2011-05-26, 11:37 PM
Play a Sharn MT, then cast Harm at 100 ft. using your portals while making stonewalls around yourself to keep enemies from attacking you.

It worked for Netheril, it can work for you :P

Urpriest
2011-05-26, 11:45 PM
Don't let ten year olds DM. It's really that simple.

theForce017
2011-05-26, 11:49 PM
Needless to say, but LA rules should be applied in the same way the laws of gravity are applied in this world. By which I mean they should be in place at all times.

Though this is a good idea, the DM has ultimate power over the world he designs so all you can do is play along. Yay false optimization at level 2 :xykon:

Don't let ten year olds DM. It's really that simple.

Haha, awesome!

Greenish
2011-05-27, 12:08 AM
Play a Sharn MTHuh, an awakened City of Towers? :smalltongue:

Tvtyrant
2011-05-27, 12:14 AM
Huh, an awakened City of Towers? :smalltongue:

Yup. That is exactly what I meant. You have found me out. :smallwink:

Siosilvar
2011-05-27, 10:30 AM
Though this is a good idea, the DM has ultimate power over the world he designs so all you can do is play along. Yay false optimization at level 2 :xykon:

Level "2", you mean.

...I would find a new game, OP, if you don't think you're going to have a lot of fun with this one. Might I direct you to the Play-by-Post forums (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3) if you can't find a real-life game?

Of course, there's something to be said for ******* around and just having a great time while you're playing and pretty much ignoring the rules, which seems to be what everyone else is doing in your group.

Forged Fury
2011-05-27, 11:44 AM
Yup. That is exactly what I meant. You have found me out. :smallwink:
Huh, you could actually do that with a Zietgeist from Cityscape. That would be fun, probably loads of Hit Dice too.