PDA

View Full Version : Elements and Aspects

ZenGamer
2011-05-27, 12:34 AM
I've been developing an elemental magic system I refer to as 'soul-bonding'. The basic idea is that a ritual can be performed at particular point where an elemental energy is strong on the material plane that allows a small portion of that energy to be tied to the subject soul. This allows the subject to control and eventually summon the element, as his/her skill progresses. The elements, for the sake of this system, are fire, water, air, earth, light, and darkness. The elements are further separated by 'aspects', ideas often associated with the element in question. I will list these aspects below.

Fire Blazer: Blazers embrace fire's desire to feed and grow. They feed their inner fire through combat. As they fight, their power grows. They wear magically-treated gloves to protect themselves from the powerful flames they desire to wield.

Fire Artist: Artists understand the beauty fire possess and seek to emulate it. They mesmerize their opponents, making them oblivious to the danger behind their beauty. They carry lanterns with ever-burning flames, which they use as a focus for their powers.

Water Adapter: Adapters observe how water is capable of existing in all three physical states: solid, liquid, and gas. Just as water can change according to the environment, so can the adapter change to the situation. They wear magical tunics which can change into other clothes, as appropriate to the situation.

Water Dancer: Dancers embody the flow of water, moving fluidly around all obstacles. They use their superior mobility to outmaneuver their opponents. Their unpredictable movements makes them difficult to pin down. They were magical flowing scarves that allow them to strike from a distance.

Air Charger: Chargers believe in speed above all else. They seek to harness the powerful winds that storms possess. As they increase their speed, their destructive power increases as well. They wear magical boots that not only allow them to run at high speeds, but to stop on a dime as well.

Air Escaper: Escapers take the concept of freedom to the extremes. They claim that even the ground cannot keep them down. They fight knowing that they always fight on their terms, no one elses. They each carry a ring of keys that, supposedly, can open any lock.

Earth Breaker: Breakers channel that crushing force of earth into their own bodies and weapons. They are the bane of weapons everywhere, as they use their massive strength to break their opponent's weapons. Their magical gauntlets allow them to break even the strongest weapons with their hands.

Earth Guardian: Guardians are like mountains: Unmoving, and virtually indestructible. They puts themselves on the front lines, confident they can always outlast their foes. They are stubborn in their ideas, and will never give up. They wield massive tower shields, which they learned to use for both defensive and offensive purposes.

Light Flare: Flares are brilliant in every sense of the word. They use their great intellect to out-think their opponents, and use light to give them the upper hand. They often act as tacticians in large-scale battles. They carry small, magical mirrors that allow them position light wherever they need it.

Light Phantom: Phantoms know that light provides information to the eyes. They also know that this information needn't always be true. They use this knowledge to their advantage by manipulating the light to confuse and bewilder their opponents. Phantoms wear magical capes that makes their illusions seem more realistic.

Dark Hunter: Hunters wield fear as their weapon. They understand the primal fear of darkness and use it to their advantage. They lie and wait in the shadows, installing fear into their targets before striking out at them. Hunters perform a magical ritual that allows them to grow claws, which aid their fearsome appearance.

Dark Scout: Scouts perform their best work when nobody knows their around. The shadows are their friends, and they are masters of observation. They believe that darkness hides all secrets, so they hides themselves to keep their secrets, while looking to uncover others' secrets. They wear magical masks that not only hides their identities, but allow them to pierce through the viel of darkness.

I see two ways of this elemental power being used; either to augment the subject's primary skills, or to focus on its power as a primary skill. I will admit that "The Last Airbender" provided some inspiration as to how this power would be wielded; leading to why I would refer to one who wields this energy as a primary source of power as a 'bender'.

As I've worked on this, I've decided that this system might fit better in Storyteller setting (such as WoD) better than a D&D setting, as the former would allow the power to be wielded to achieve a multitude of results, relying on quick thinking on the GM's part to decide what scores best apply to the situation.

I'm not sure if I'm leaving anything out or not, as I'm posting this really just to see what people think of it. Feel free to comment or give suggestions to anything about this system.