PDA

View Full Version : Best system for The World Ends With You?

Amnestic
2011-05-27, 12:45 AM
So while replaying TWEWY (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World_Ends_With_You) for about the seventeenth time, I was entertaining the idea of running a Pen+Paper RPG version of it. My knowledge of systems is...limited though to say the least; just D&D 2e, 3.x and 4th. I'm sure a conversion could be homebrewed given enough time, effort and vetting but if someone knows of a system/ruleset which would be better suited to playing such a game, I'd love to hear about it so I could give a shot at learning it so my ideas might see fruition.

Any advice?

Tengu_temp
2011-05-27, 01:50 AM
Mutants and Masterminds 2e or 3e. I'm not sure how to implement the partner mechanic, but it's more a part of videogame gameplay than anything, you can just handle it by a Complication and maybe taking Combos from Mecha and Manga that require your partner to be present.

I ran a game partially inspired by TWEWY. M&M worked well for it.

Xefas
2011-05-27, 02:24 AM
If you want to focus on the drama between characters and the weirdness of the setting, and don't care at all about slogging it out in combat for 2 hours every time Noise shows up, Primetime Adventures, obviously. The TWEWY is already broken up into episodic segments, so each in-game "Day" could work well for an "Episode", especially if you plan on going to something ludicrous like Neku's 3 weeks of time in the game (I get the feeling most people don't get that long). The flashbacks the various characters have can work pretty well as their respective set-pieces, with (for example) Neku recharging his traits every time he puts together more information about his death. Stuff like that.

Conflict resolution is about 10 seconds long, which may or may not be a plus for you.

Codenpeg
2011-05-29, 10:10 PM
Well the DS lite from my experience has a decent battery life and fits in most people's hands but you could always try a fat DS.

Seriously though, GURPS can pretty much do anything you want to do. Good luck though, I do not want to imagine how you would convert the game mechanics to tabletop.

Lord Raziere
2011-05-30, 04:52 PM
Fate. Its good fer everything.

maybe every time your partner pulls off a certain number of attacks, roll to see if they fill up some of the combo meter?

Tengu_temp
2011-05-30, 04:59 PM
Maybe it's because my biggest contact with Fate is SotC, but I don't see how this system works for characters supposed to have a wide range of supernatural powers.

Lord Raziere
2011-05-30, 05:07 PM
Maybe it's because my biggest contact with Fate is SotC, but I don't see how this system works for characters supposed to have a wide range of supernatural powers.

simple, set up the supernatural powers so that they are all individual skills, effectively making each pin a skill that you advance just as you do in the game.

Then simply separate "skills" aka "pins" into "active" and "dormant" with "active" having six slots while dormant is unlimited, and that you can switch dormant and active out, but you can't do so during battle.

Mewtarthio
2011-05-30, 05:32 PM
No need to get too crazy there. I get the impression that Neku's the exception with the breadth of powers he has. Most everyone else sticks to a limited selection of attacks, which is easily modeled with a small, unchanging skill list.

Tengu_temp
2011-05-30, 05:34 PM
simple, set up the supernatural powers so that they are all individual skills, effectively making each pin a skill that you advance just as you do in the game.

Then simply separate "skills" aka "pins" into "active" and "dormant" with "active" having six slots while dormant is unlimited, and that you can switch dormant and active out, but you can't do so during battle.

That'd require some additional elements, though, to make sure there is a point in using several combat pins instead of just your strongest one all the time.

Lord Raziere
2011-05-30, 08:18 PM
No need to get too crazy there. I get the impression that Neku's the exception with the breadth of powers he has. Most everyone else sticks to a limited selection of attacks, which is easily modeled with a small, unchanging skill list.

I know, just showing how I could model Neku.

yes in reality, it'd be more likely there would only be six pins max in the first place. I would add a "Imagination" skill that did expand your power or something, but as you can see from Neku that'd be somewhat overpowered.

of course it would be also be easy to model TWEWY with 4E- just find a bunch of at will and encounter powers that match the ones in game and you'd be mostly set I think.

yes, there are multiple ways of modeling most of it, the only problem that keeps coming up is how to model the combo-partner attacks....but we know that they do attack all enemies and they do require partners to work together, be in sync and all that, so there is a place to start from.