PDA

View Full Version : PrCs and multiclassing

Bobmufin52
2011-05-27, 07:59 AM
So I was just recently told (on this forum no less) that PrCs don’t count towards Exp. penalties for multiclassing. While this dose make a lot of sense and fixes a huge problem I noticed a while ago, I can’t seem to find this rule in the books. Where is it? Or if it’s not in the books, can I be told where an official source with the rule is?

Curmudgeon
2011-05-27, 08:40 AM
It's basically the lack of a rule at work. The Player's Handbook is the primary source for base classes, which is where this multiclassing XP penalty rule is. The Dungeon Master's Guide is the primary source for prestige classes, and there's no similar rule there. So just follow all the applicable rules, and note the limits of where those rules are applied.

Big Fau
2011-05-27, 08:41 AM
So I was just recently told (on this forum no less) that PrCs don’t count towards Exp. penalties for multiclassing. While this dose make a lot of sense and fixes a huge problem I noticed a while ago, I can’t seem to find this rule in the books. Where is it? Or if it’s not in the books, can I be told where an official source with the rule is?

The FAQ has it. It was supposed to be included in the errata, but they likely didn't get around to it.

Curmudgeon
2011-05-27, 08:46 AM
The problem here is that the FAQ isn't a rules source. It contains quite a lot of errors (answers you can show to be clearly in conflict with the rules).

Ungoded
2011-05-27, 09:31 AM
It's pretty clearly spelled out in the SRD: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/prestigeClasses.htm.

Telonius
2011-05-27, 10:13 AM
"Taking a prestige class does not incur the experience point penalties normally associated with multiclassing."

That particular line doesn't appear in the DMG, but it does appear in both d20srd.org as well as the official Wizards SRD (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35) word file for "Prestige Classes." Although it's not technically published as errata, I believe it counts as an official source.

Big Fau
2011-05-27, 11:56 AM
"Taking a prestige class does not incur the experience point penalties normally associated with multiclassing."

That particular line doesn't appear in the DMG, but it does appear in both d20srd.org as well as the official Wizards SRD (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35) word file for "Prestige Classes." Although it's not technically published as errata, I believe it counts as an official source.

The SRD is supposed to be up-to-date with errata concerning Core material (but not the ELH, DD, UA, or the XPH), which means they did errata the DMG properly. The line was in the 3.0 DMG, but was accidentally edited out of the 3.5 one.

Darth Stabber
2011-05-27, 12:02 PM
Fortunately this is rarely a problem since multiclass xp penalty is houseruled away more often than it is kept.

Curmudgeon
2011-05-27, 04:12 PM
Fortunately this is rarely a problem since multiclass xp penalty is houseruled away more often than it is kept.
I'm not so sure about that. At least in the days when RPGA had 3.5 games those multiclassing XP penalties were enforced, and most DMs who played in RPGA games stayed consistent and had the penalties in their home games as well.

Darth Stabber
2011-05-27, 04:33 PM
I'm not so sure about that. At least in the days when RPGA had 3.5 games those multiclassing XP penalties were enforced, and most DMs who played in RPGA games stayed consistent and had the penalties in their home games as well.

And RPGA players and gms make up what percent of D&D players and gms? Need some stats there. I have never heard of anyone enforcing that particularly onerous rule (that unduly favors casters, fighter types being the most likely to dip a menagerie of base classes, casters get some reprieve due to their dipping coming from prcs)

Mr. Zolrane
2011-05-27, 05:14 PM

True words. To me, the XP penalty to multiclassing kind of diminishes the whole point of 3.5, in my opinion, and that is customization, which I think is the main reason so many people stuck with it instead of moving on to 4e. I like Pathfinder's answer to the whole "favored class" concept: you choose it yourself, and gain health or skill bonuses for levels in your favored class, or race-specific bonuses for certain classes. No one takes a penalty for multiclassing, ever.

Volos
2011-05-27, 05:29 PM
True words. To me, the XP penalty to multiclassing kind of diminishes the whole point of 3.5, in my opinion, and that is customization, which I think is the main reason so many people stuck with it instead of moving on to 4e. I like Pathfinder's answer to the whole "favored class" concept: you choose it yourself, and gain health or skill bonuses for levels in your favored class, or race-specific bonuses for certain classes. No one takes a penalty for multiclassing, ever.

Also in Pathfinder there is less of a need to multi-class to customize. If you are using the Advanced Player's Guide there are plenty of ways to customize your base class' abilites, some of which are dependent on race. And there are plenty of ways to customize what benifits you get from being your chosen race. I've heard complaints that Pathfinder doesn't have enough splatbooks, but I have run a PF game for a party of 5 rogues and I had 5 different characters, both mechanically and roleplay wise.

Rejakor
2011-05-27, 05:45 PM

If you're playing RPGA games, you already have a problem. Pretty big one, too.

Mr. Zolrane
2011-05-27, 06:21 PM
Also in Pathfinder there is less of a need to multi-class to customize. If you are using the Advanced Player's Guide there are plenty of ways to customize your base class' abilites, some of which are dependent on race. And there are plenty of ways to customize what benifits you get from being your chosen race. I've heard complaints that Pathfinder doesn't have enough splatbooks, but I have run a PF game for a party of 5 rogues and I had 5 different characters, both mechanically and roleplay wise.

I'm pretty excited about the PF campaign I'm going to be DMing. And yeah, it seems to me like it's more geared toward offering more options for individual classes rather than making 27 hojillion classes, many of which are utter crap and/or reflavored versions of older classes. Also, in regard to the supposed splatbook shortage, you can always convert anything over from 3.5 anyway. I plan on running PF with Complete Arcane, for example.