PDA

View Full Version : 3.P handle animal teaching a trick

slaydemons
2011-05-27, 02:09 PM
You know who you are don't read this D:< its to my player on these boards

how would you handle this, dude is throwing fish at a bear trying to make it do tricks while he is running away from it he just happened to get a high roll, now the bear as I described it isn't hostile but it is eating the fish and chasing them for more food. Would he be able to tame the bear with some fish and a high roll or is handle animal more like animals you know well like cats. horses. and stuff or can you just get out of any wild animal battle you please with a high handle animal check and even convert it.

Tyger
2011-05-27, 02:17 PM
You know who you are don't read this D:< its to my player on these boards

how would you handle this, dude is throwing fish at a bear trying to make it do tricks while he is running away from it he just happened to get a high roll, now the bear as I described it isn't hostile but it is eating the fish and chasing them for more food. Would he be able to tame the bear with some fish and a high roll or is handle animal more like animals you know well like cats. horses. and stuff or can you just get out of any wild animal battle you please with a high handle animal check and even convert it.

Well, unless he has a lot of fish, that ain't gonna cut it - using Handle Animal to teach an animal a new trick takes one week.

Additionally, the "rear an animal" part of the skill says that the animal has to be trained from infancy - I am guessing this isn't a baby bear he's throwing these fish at, so no, he can't do it.

Now, a druid or ranger using Wild Empathy might be able to pull of some minor variation on this, but that requires a) a diplomacy check, and b) that takes one minute where they aren't engaged in combat.

TL;DR version: No, you can't tame a bear by throwing fish at it.

EDIT: Were I making the call, the bear would continue to follow him - hey, free fish! - but when the PC ran out of fish, it might get ugly. Wild bears are not friendly creatures, and if you've been feeding one, and you stop while it is still hungry - well, you look like food too.

slaydemons
2011-05-27, 02:39 PM
Well, unless he has a lot of fish, that ain't gonna cut it - using Handle Animal to teach an animal a new trick takes one week.

Additionally, the "rear an animal" part of the skill says that the animal has to be trained from infancy - I am guessing this isn't a baby bear he's throwing these fish at, so no, he can't do it.

Now, a druid or ranger using Wild Empathy might be able to pull of some minor variation on this, but that requires a) a diplomacy check, and b) that takes one minute where they aren't engaged in combat.

TL;DR version: No, you can't tame a bear by throwing fish at it.

EDIT: Were I making the call, the bear would continue to follow him - hey, free fish! - but when the PC ran out of fish, it might get ugly. Wild bears are not friendly creatures, and if you've been feeding one, and you stop while it is still hungry - well, you look like food too.

Thanks I wanted to make sure I assumed the same thing and ooc I told the people who weren't part of the plan to run faster

Edit: I will let him have it but it will basically treat him like its child and will follow him and tackle him down every so often for a bath