PDA

View Full Version : Need a hand picking up as many chances of Turn Undead as I can get!

DragonBaneDM
2011-05-27, 02:54 PM
Heya guys! Next semester I'll be playing a Neutral or Lawful Good Cleric with the Strength and Healing Domains, but if you have any suggestions for those I'd be down with changing them.

So, I've got a Charisma mod of +4, so that means I'm starting with 7 chances per day. I figure I can pick up the Extra Turning Feat if need be, and my DM knows about Night Rods, and seems lax to hand them out to us.

Are there any other tricks I should know about? I remember one piece of advice I got was to take the Destructive Turning option from Ravenloft and then go with Sacred Exorcist, but:
1. Does my alignment allow that?
2. Is it really worth it?

Oh, and any other general advice on building a decent cleric would be appreciated! I haven't had too-too much experience with 3.5, and I'm sure I can learn a lot from you guys.

Sinfonian
2011-05-27, 02:57 PM
Grab the Reliquary Holy Symbol from MIC. It adds an extra turn attempt for each of the criteria you meet (once each): 5 ranks in Knowledge (religion), Improved Turning, any divine feat. So that's up to 3 extra attempts and it's cheap, but it takes up a body slot (throat).

erikun
2011-05-27, 03:02 PM
I believe someone optimized turning by taking Destructive Turning, the Sacred Exocist PrC, one level of Dread Necromancer, and Extra Turning to gain extra turning attempts to all three. The search feature doesn't seem to be working for me today, but it ended up with ~66 "turn" attempts overall.

TroubleBrewing
2011-05-27, 03:02 PM
Start off with the "Destroy Undead" ACF out of Ravenloft, go for a 1-level dip into Death Delver (HoH) for Rebuke Undead, take Sacred Exorcist for Turn Undead, and laugh as Extra Turning applies to all three pools. As do Nightsticks. As does the Reliquary Holy Symbol.

You really only need one Nightstick with this combination. Take Extra Turning twice, and with your +4 Cha modifier, you end up with 63 turning attempts.

I assume you're making a DMM Cleric. This is actually the build I'm using in a current game, and it is serving me rather well.

The domains you'll be allowed to select depend on the god you worship. If it's Heironeous, I can't say enough good things about the Glory domain. You get access to some of the better Paladin spells, and a pretty nifty domain power.

EDIT:
I believe someone optimized turning by taking Destructive Turning, the Sacred Exocist PrC, one level of Dread Necromancer, and Extra Turning to gain extra turning attempts to all three. The search feature doesn't seem to be working for me today, but it ended up with ~66 "turn" attempts overall.

Ninja'd by my own information. (That was me. :smallbiggrin:)

DragonBaneDM
2011-05-27, 10:29 PM
Okay! Cool! Cool! I gotta pick up Ravenloft then. I can still take this and be Good aligned, yes?

And it's more of a domains only type deal. No gods! Which means I can take whatever combination of domains I want!

66 is a bittttt much, cause I don't wanna shut out all the other players, but yeah! I can pull something like this off, I'm sure of it!

Maybe I'll try to stay around the 30 margin, though. :smalltongue: Does it really apply to all three pools? How's that work?

Big Fau
2011-05-27, 10:35 PM
Something I found in the Cleric Handbook:

Let's see. The standard Cleric build usually gets Planning and Undeath to cover some of the feats and turning.

Azurin Dread Necromancer 1/Cloistered Cleric 3/Mystic Theurge 10/Sacred Exorcist (IIRC LN is a legal alignment for this) 6

Sub Levels: Azurin Cleric 1

Domains: Knowledge (sub for Devotion), Planning, Undeath

Feats:

1st: Precocious Apprentice
Flaw: Extra Turning
Flaw: Extra Turning
2nd: Extend Spell (Planning bonus feat)
2nd: Extra Turning (Undeath bonus feat)
3rd: Persist Spell
6th: Divine Metamagic (Persist)
9th+: Extra Turning or Fighter feats for tanking

Total turning attempts/day (assuming Cha is set to 30 at 20th level): 105+Nightstick and Reliquary Holy Symbol. That's 15 spells/day. Sweet Jesus...

DragonBaneDM
2011-05-28, 01:04 AM
I hear good things about Cloistered Cleric!

Where can me find?

olentu
2011-05-28, 01:29 AM
I hear good things about Cloistered Cleric!

Where can me find?

Unearthed arcana page 50 or so I believe.

TroubleBrewing
2011-05-28, 01:35 AM
There's already a thread detailing the advantages of cloistered over standard cleric, so I won't go into too much detail, but suffice to say that cloistered is superior in every way.

Devmaar
2011-05-28, 06:04 AM
You don't need Ravenloft if you're open on race. Azurin and Dragonblood racial sub levels provide turning pools that work for DMM and stack with Turn/Rebuke. (Magic of Incarnum and Races of the Dragon respectively)

Analytica
2011-05-28, 08:15 AM
Unearthed arcana page 50 or so I believe.

Or here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm). (Fully legal under the OGL.)

Darth_Versity
2011-05-28, 08:21 AM
Take to of the elemental domains instead, they provide turning attempts fir the elementals they're related to which can power DMM. Best of all when you take extra turning it applies to all your turning attempts so they both get bonuses.
A lvl 1 cleric can have 30 turning attempts that way.

TroubleBrewing
2011-05-28, 08:30 AM
Elemental Turning doesn't work like that.

Good try, though.

DragonBaneDM
2011-05-28, 04:19 PM
New question!

How many levels of Sacred Exorcist should I pick up?

I can get the turning with a one level dip, so do you guys think any of the other PrC features like resisting possession and the auras are worth me "staying the path" with Exorcist?

Or should I switch back to Cleric right away to get my decent Fortitude save back?

TroubleBrewing
2011-05-28, 04:26 PM
Stay with Exorcist. They're like Clerics, but with class features!

Seriously, though. They have full spellcasting progression, better BAB than Cloistered Clerics, and actual class features on top of that already awesome chassis.

DragonBaneDM
2011-05-28, 05:15 PM
Alright, awesome! I'll do that!

Hey, where can I find the race Lesser Aasimar? The guide I found says PGtF, but when I check Player's Guide to Faerun, I can't find the stats for it anywhere.

Can anyone give me a page number? Or am I simply in the wrong book?

Psyren
2011-05-28, 05:35 PM
Alright, awesome! I'll do that!

Hey, where can I find the race Lesser Aasimar? The guide I found says PGtF, but when I check Player's Guide to Faerun, I can't find the stats for it anywhere.

Can anyone give me a page number? Or am I simply in the wrong book?

PGtF pg. 191