PDA

View Full Version : Help me design some NPCs

Mr. Darsena
2011-05-27, 03:26 PM
Hi there, guys, I'm new on this forum, but I've been DM for some ~2 years. I'm actually creating a new adventure for my players and I've been thinking of pitting them in a sort of arena fight, based in a game they play (League of Legends, if anyone knows it).

For those of you who don't know it, in this game, two teams of five people are pitted one against the other in a hella big arena. In two of the corners, there are the two teams bases, in which are found the Nexus of each team. The objective of each team is to destroy the other team's Nexus, but it isn't so easy, as it's protected by a series of turrets, big buildings which shoot balls of energy that hurt a lot.

There are three pathways from Nexus to Nexus, one that goes in the top of the map, another that crosses straight in the mid and another one that goes in the bottom of the map, and the midpoint of each path is united with the other two by a swallow river. In the spaces between the paths and the river there is a jungle which is filled by neutral monsters who won't attack players unless attacked first, and some of them give magical upgrades when defeated.

In each path there are three turrets, each of which is only attackable after the previous one is destroyed, and when all three turrets of a path are killed the inhibitor is attackable. This is a building which is found after the third turret and prevents the Nexus from being attacked. When one of the three inhibitors is defeated, the Nexus and the two turrets that defend it are attackable.

To help both teams, each Nexus spawns minions, little trash mobs which are easily cleared and give gold on death to the last-hitter, which spawn in waves of 6 and are commonly used to tank turret damage, as it is enough to kill a player. When an inhibitor is destroyed, super minions will spawn along with normal minions, these are much stronger and can tank much longer than normal ones.

The player's objective is to destroy the Nexus following these rules, and they must act as a team, or they will be defeated if trying to 1v1.

So, my players are going to be a team of five people, created within the basic races and classes available in the D&D 3.5 Player Guide, and I'm going to create a team of five characters of the game ported to the D&D 3.5 system.

What I would like you to help me with is the adaptation of these characters. As a rule of thumb, all of them have four abilities, one of which is significantly more powerful than the rest and has a much longer cooldown (this ability is called ultimate), and a passive, and most of them are specialized in a single role. So far I have picked these characters to port:

Irelia, the Will of the Blades: Woman who fights with magical blades controlled by her telekinetic powers, her passive grants her reduced stun times when she is surrounded by enemies, and she can dash to enemies to deal damage, heals passively when hits enemies and can ignore armor for a few seconds, can stun an enemy if he has a higher HP% than she has, and for her ultimate she throws four magical blades which deal area damage and heal her for a percentage of damage dealt. Archetype: Melee Damage dealer, half-tank (can take a bit of punishing).

Ashe, the Frost Archer: Woman who fights with bow and arrows, her passive grants her increased critical chance (up to a guaranteed critical strike) when she hasn't hit an enemy for some time, her attacks slow her target, she can shoot arrows in a cone (this ability can also slow), she can send a bird explorer to reveal terrain and for her ultimate she has a global range (can go anywhere in the map) giant arrow which deals damage in an area around the first hero it touches, as well as stunning that hero up to 4 seconds, based on distance traveled, but only travels in a line. Archetype: Ranged damage dealer.

Janna, the Storm's Fury: Woman sorceress who fights with the power of the wind, her passive allows her team to move slightly faster, she can send a tornado which will knock up the enemies in a line, she can move quite fast, and give up her movespeed bonus to slow an enemy and deal damage to him, and she can shield one of the members of her team (as well as turrets), granting them increased damage for the time the shield is active. For her ultimate, she can call upon the winds, knocking back enemies in an area around her, which are slowed upon entering the zone again and allies in this zone are healed by this ability. Archetype: Buffer/Disabler, support hero.

Vladimir, the Crimson Reaper: Male mage who uses the powers of blood (according to canon lore he's a hemomancer, not a vampire), his passive grants him increasind HP based on his Ability power (ability power is a spell damage increasing stat), and increased Ability power based on his HP. He can deal damage to an enemy, healing for a percentage of the damage he deals, give up a portion of his own HP to transform in a pool of blood, becoming unattackable for a few seconds, and has an ability which deals damage to any enemy within his range, increasing in damage and HP cost with each subsequent cast. For his ultimate, he puts a pool of blood in the floor, plaguing each enemy which steps on it, plagued enemies receive increased damage from Vladimir and his allies and take a set damage when the plague expires (after a few seconds). Archetype: Caster, damage dealer, half-Tank.

Shen, the Twilight's Eye: Male ninja fighter, who uses two ninja swords as his weapons, his passive allows his eight hit to deal damage based on his HP, he can throw a ninja sword at a target, which is marked and Shen and his allies attacks to that target heal them for a little bit, he can shield himself, and he can dash at medium range, and targets hit by his dash become taunted by him for a few seconds. For his ultimate, he shields an allied hero anywhere on the map, and after channeling a couple of seconds teleports to that hero. Archetype: Tank

(FYI, all of the above are human)

I would be very grateful to anyone who can help me to get this characters ported to D&D 3.5, thanks to all.

TL;DR: I'm creating an adventure based on a game, and I'd like to port some of the characters of the game to D&D 3.5, characters are described a little bit above. Thank you.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-05-27, 03:34 PM
Give me their DotA names (http://www.playdota.com/heroes), I'll give you builds based on their ability mechanics. I haven't played HoN or LoL so I'm not sure which characters you're talking about.

Mr. Darsena
2011-05-27, 03:39 PM
These are not ports from DotA heroes, as far as I know, didn't play DotA myself and only a little bit of LoL, but I can give you the LoL character's page if it helps you.

wuwuwu
2011-05-27, 03:43 PM
These are not ports from DotA heroes, as far as I know, didn't play DotA myself and only a little bit of LoL, but I can give you the LoL character's page if it helps you.

League of Legends doesn't exactly copy champs and items from DoTA, is the thing. They've done a fairly good job of making unique heroes from their competitors.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-05-27, 04:37 PM
I guess LoL heroes aren't quite as close to DotA heroes mechanically as HoN's are, after all. Here are a few ideas:

Irelia, the Will of the Blades: Soulknife/Psion, possibly with (Illithid) Slayer and Sanctified Mind levels. BAB is going to suffer, but you get the Mind Blade and everything else can be represented by Psion powers. Get a Psicrystal and use Share Pain on it, and manifest Vigor shared with the psicrystal for when she needs to tank damage. Possibly use Elan instead of Human, they don't appear any different.

Ashe, the Frost Archer: Fighter with archery-focused feats, including (Greater) Weapon Focus/Specialization, Ranged Weapon Mastery, Improved Critical, Ranged Disarm and Ranged Pin from CW, and get Wild Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) for a Dire Eagle (RoS) companion. The only thing I can think of to emulate the ultimate would be the epic feat Distant Shot (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#distantShot) combined with a Clairvoyance spell or Clairvoyant Sense psionic power.

Janna, the Storm's Fury: Cleric with the Celerity and probably Storm domains, and go either Elf or Half-Elf and get Ruather (RotW) for the class skills to dip Seeker of the Misty Isle for the Travel domain (or also use Ruathar to justify waiving the race requirement). Use spells to buff allies and debuff opponents, there are plenty of choices on the Cleric list and you can use the spontaneous domain casting ACF in PH2 for the Storm domain.

Vladimir, the Crimson Reaper: Sorcerer with Blood Magus from Complete Arcane, and give him the Instruments of the Blood Gift set from MIC. Possibly also Tainted Scholar if it would fit. Use the spell Blood Snow in Frostburn to mimic his ultimate, Vampiric Touch to replace self-healing abilities, etc. Possibly use Battle Sorcerer and/or Stalwart Sorcerer (CM) to make him tankier, but his spellcasting will suffer.

Shen, the Twilight's Eye: Warblade with Bloodstorm Blade levels. I'm not sure about his ultimate, though.

Mr. Darsena
2011-05-27, 06:13 PM
I guess LoL heroes aren't quite as close to DotA heroes mechanically as HoN's are, after all. Here are a few ideas:

Irelia, the Will of the Blades: Soulknife/Psion, possibly with (Illithid) Slayer and Sanctified Mind levels. BAB is going to suffer, but you get the Mind Blade and everything else can be represented by Psion powers. Get a Psicrystal and use Share Pain on it, and manifest Vigor shared with the psicrystal for when she needs to tank damage. Possibly use Elan instead of Human, they don't appear any different.

Ashe, the Frost Archer: Fighter with archery-focused feats, including (Greater) Weapon Focus/Specialization, Ranged Weapon Mastery, Improved Critical, Ranged Disarm and Ranged Pin from CW, and get Wild Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) for a Dire Eagle (RoS) companion. The only thing I can think of to emulate the ultimate would be the epic feat Distant Shot (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#distantShot) combined with a Clairvoyance spell or Clairvoyant Sense psionic power.

Janna, the Storm's Fury: Cleric with the Celerity and probably Storm domains, and go either Elf or Half-Elf and get Ruather (RotW) for the class skills to dip Seeker of the Misty Isle for the Travel domain (or also use Ruathar to justify waiving the race requirement). Use spells to buff allies and debuff opponents, there are plenty of choices on the Cleric list and you can use the spontaneous domain casting ACF in PH2 for the Storm domain.

Vladimir, the Crimson Reaper: Sorcerer with Blood Magus from Complete Arcane, and give him the Instruments of the Blood Gift set from MIC. Possibly also Tainted Scholar if it would fit. Use the spell Blood Snow in Frostburn to mimic his ultimate, Vampiric Touch to replace self-healing abilities, etc. Possibly use Battle Sorcerer and/or Stalwart Sorcerer (CM) to make him tankier, but his spellcasting will suffer.

Shen, the Twilight's Eye: Warblade with Bloodstorm Blade levels. I'm not sure about his ultimate, though.

Thank you very much for the ideas, I think all of them are quite viable, I didn't think of Psions for Irelia, they fit quite good, but wouldn't a Psionic Fighter fit better? BAB would be better, as it's a Fighter class while still retaining psionic powers.

For Ashe I think you also picked quite good, I was also thinking of a Ranger but spells were going over the top, a fighter is better fit. However, I don't feel like Distant Shot is what her ultimate would go for, as the shot would need to stun (maybe an enchantment for arrows?) and possibly go over terrain until it hits a target (Ghost arrows? Never heard of anything like that).

I think Vladimir is just perfect as you stated it, and I will look into Ruather for Janna, I hadn't heard of it before.

Can you also give me an idea of which level these NPCs should have? I was also thinking of their level (as well as the character's level) going up as the game goes on, but maybe that'd a bit over the top. If I finally get it to scale, I think it should go 1-18, but if I settle for a plain level, maybe around 10 ECL?

EDIT: Maybe for Shen's ultimate the spell Dimensional Gate combined with a shield spell could work, but that'd require a class which gets Dimensional Gate (Assassin? That'd be fit for a ninja, but I don't think it's a good class for a tank, it gets a low HP dice, and aside from the Dexterity bonus has almost no AC). Also, how could I emulate his taunt? (as in: all the enemies are forced into attacking him).