PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Burrow Speed? (Item) (PEACH)

DracoDei
2011-05-27, 03:47 PM
Zyborg wanted a magic item for a character he is making to purchase later. He probably doesn't have the cash yet. I whipped up the following in a few minutes, but I don't know what the cost should be. Almost certainly less than Winged Boots' 16,000 GP, but beyond that... I am feeling lazy. Other questions would be what an appropriate Druid spell would be.

He might want a permenant item later, I don't know yet.

Based on Winged Boots (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#bootsWinged):
Gloves of the Mole
These gloves appear to be ordinary heavy leather work-gloves. On command, the gloves sprout blunt claws at the finger-tips and grant the wearer a burrow at a speed equal to half his land-speed (as per the standard rules for burrow speeds). He can burrow three times per day for up to 5 minutes per activation. If used as a weapon the claws merely count as a pair of gauntlets (including the fact that they deal bludgeoning, rather than slashing damage).

Faint transmutation; CL 4th; Craft Wondrous Item, Burrow OR Polymorph OR creator must have a racial burrow speed; Price 6,500 gp; Weight 2 lb.

John Cribati
2011-05-27, 10:47 PM
Move Earth is a 6th Level Druid Spell, and practically the only one that has any relation to what the item does.

desero clades
2011-05-27, 11:01 PM
Actually there is a 2nd level druid spell in the Spell Compendium that gives you a burrow speed, it is aptly named "burrow."

DracoDei
2011-05-28, 01:13 PM
Actually there is a 2nd level druid spell in the Spell Compendium that gives you a burrow speed, it is aptly named "burrow."
Thank you. That is very helpful to know.

Debihuman
2011-05-28, 11:55 PM
Spell should be polymorph any object and CL is 16. Polymorph only works on creatures.

However, burrow spell is much better (and only a Druid 2 spell) so using that solely as the item''s basis makes better sense. 2x3x1,800 /1.66= 6,500 gp. [Compare to boots of speed, which only work once per day and cost 12,000].

Debby

DracoDei
2011-05-29, 07:01 PM
Where are you getting Polymorph Any Object? It seems to me that turning someone PARTLY into a mole is a smaller effect than turning them all the way from a fluff perspective (sorta like how Eberron Shifters are lesser versions of theranthropes*), and the mechanical benefits are actually pretty modest in my humble opinion. Come to that maybe Alter Self would be more suitable. The pricing sounds about right though.

*<Insert nerd rant here about WotC pandering to the masses by screwing up their Greek>

zyborg
2011-05-29, 07:37 PM
Hmm... pretty cool. However, I'm not sure if it will work for my character. How do gauntlets work with unarmed strike?

DracoDei
2011-05-29, 07:42 PM
Hmm... pretty cool. However, I'm not sure if it will work for my character. How do gauntlets work with unarmed strike?
At worst they should have absolutely no effect on your unarmed strike.