PDA

View Full Version : Crafting Pathfinder Magic Items

navar100
2011-05-27, 05:08 PM
In Pathfinder, can you craft a magic item at a lower caster level than shown in the book? It makes a difference for the Spellcraft DC. I accept the greater vulnerability to dispel magic.

Ashram
2011-05-27, 05:37 PM
"While item creation costs are handled in detail below, note that normally the two primary factors are the caster level of the creator and the level of the spell or spells put into the item. A creator can create an item at a lower caster level than her own, but never lower than the minimum level needed to cast the needed spell. Using metamagic feats, a caster can place spells in items at a higher level than normal."

By this wording, I guess so, so long as it doesn't go below the caster level necessary to cast the spell.

LeadPal
2011-05-28, 04:06 AM
For what it's worth, the FAQ agrees.

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/v5748btpy88yj/faq#v5748eaic9n8m

For example, a 3rd-level wizard with Craft Wondrous Item can create a 1st-level pearl, with a minimum caster level of 1. He can set the caster level to whatever he wants (assuming he can meet the crafting DC), though the pearl's caster level has no effect on its powers (other than its ability to resist dispel magic). If he wants to make a 2nd-level pearl, the caster level has to be at least 3, as wizards can't cast 2nd-level spells until they reach character level 3. He can even try to make a 3rd-level pearl, though the minimum caster level is 5, and he adds +5 to the DC because he doesn't meet the "able to cast 3rd-level spells" requirement.

navar100
2011-05-30, 01:14 AM
Cool. I want Craft Rod at 9th level to create metamagic rods, but the 17th caster level in the book would have made it prohibitively difficult even with Skill Focus (Spellcraft).