PDA

View Full Version : Low-Mid Level Undead[PEACH]

RndmNumGen
2011-05-27, 06:22 PM
I'm currently running a campaign in which my PCs have pissed off a powerful Necromancer. However, just sending swarms of skeletons and zombies at them seems rather dull, and they're not quite strong enough to face some of the more interesting undead, so I have been working on some things to spice it up:

Pyre Zombie:

Name: Pyre Zombie

This creature moves with surprising speed despite it's quick, jerky movements. Their flesh is charred and burned, and makes a cracking sound as they approach. Oh, and they're on fire.

Size/Type: Medium Undead
Hit Dice: 4d12(26 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 30 ft.(6 squares)
AC: 16(+1 Dex, +4 Natural, +1 Deflection)
BAB/Grapple: +2/+4
Attack: Slam +4 melee(1d6+2 plus 1d4 Fire Damage)
Full Attack: 2 Slams +4 melee(1d6+2 plus 1d4 Fire Damage)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Spec Attacks: -
Spec Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., DR 5/-, Flame Nimbus, Death Throes, Resist Fire 10
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +4,
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 12, Con -, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 1
Skills: -
Feats: Ability Focus(Death Throes)
Environment: Any
Organization: Single or Group(3-5) or Horde(9-13)
CR: 2
Alignment: Always Neutral Evil
Treasure: None
Advancement: None

Flame Nimbus(Ex):
Whenever a Pyre Zombie hits a target with it's Slam attack, it deals an additional 1d4 Fire damage.
If a Pyre Zombie is grappled, it deals 1d4 fire damage to everything in the grapple.
If a Pyre Zombie is attacked with a natural weapon, it does 1d4 fire damage to it's attacker.
If attacked with a wooden weapon or some other flammable material,
the weapon also takes 1d4 points of damage(this ignores hardness).

If a Pyre Zombie is drenched in water, or if it takes more than 5 points of Cold damage,
this effect is suppressed for 1d4-1 rounds.

Death Throes(Ex):
When a Pyre Zombie is killed, it explodes, dealing 2d4 points of fire damage to everything
in a 20 ft. radius. Reflex 15 halves this damage. The save DC is constitution-based.

If the zombie's Flame Nimbus was suppressed when it died, the explosion only does 1d4 points of fire damage and a Reflex DC 13 negates.

Diseased Corpses:

Name: Diseased Corpses

These zombies appear to be even more rotten and filthy than most. What flesh is left hangs off of their skeleton in chunks, covered in flies and maggots. A horrible stench of decay emanates from the creature as it lurches towards you.

Size/Type: Medium Undead
Hit Dice: 8d12+7(46 hp)
Initiative: -1
Speed: 30 ft(6 Squares, Can't Run)
AC: 17(+8 Natural, -1 Dex)
BAB/Grapple: +4/+8
Attack: Slam +8 melee(1d8+4 plus Disease)
Full Attack: -
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Spec Attacks: Disease
Spec Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., Damage Reduction 10/Slashing, Single Actions Only, Undead Traits, Stench.
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +1, Will +6,
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 8, Con -, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 1
Skills: -
Feats: Toughness
Environment: Any
Organization: Any
CR: 4
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Neutral Evil
Advancement: 7-14 HD(Medium)

Disease(Su):
Wasting Sickness; Contact, Fortitude DC 18, Incubation period 6-12 hours, damage 1d6 Str and Con. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Any creature who dies of Wasting Sickness rises as a Diseased Corpse 1 day later, and retains none of the abilities it possessed in life. The Diseased Corpse is not under the control of any creature, and will attack any living creatures it notices, though it can be Rebuked or Controlled with magic as normal.

Stench(Ex):
Any living creature that comes within 30 ft of a Diseased Corpse must succeed a DC 15 Fortitude save or be Nauseated for 1d3 rounds. The save DC is constitution-based.

Single Actions Only:
Diseased Corpses can only make a single move or standard action a turn. They can move and attack in a single turn, but only if they attempt a Charge.

Mark of the Stigmata[Template]:

Mark of Stigma

Stigmatized creatures have been branded with a magic sigil known as the Stigmata of Hell somewhere on their bodies. The location varies, but it is typically somewhere noticable, such as the carved into the flesh of their chest or engraved on their skull.

Creating a Stigmatized Creature
"Mark of Stigma" is an acquired template that can be added to any corpreal undead (referred to hereafter as the base creature). The Mark is applied through a secret ritual which costs 200 gp worth of incense and rare paints, and takes 1 hour to complete.

Size and Type
The creature's base type does not change, though it gains the Augmented subtype. Size is unchanged.

Hit Dice
The creature gains two additional Undead Hit Dice. Recalculate BAB and saves accordingly.

Armor Class
The creature gains +1 Deflection Bonus to it's AC.

Special Attacks:
The magical nature of the Stigmata on the creature strengthens it's connection to the negative energy plane, granting it a touch attack. In addition, the nature of the Stigmata on the creature unsettles foes nearby, granting the creature a Fear aura.

Negative Energy Touch(Su):
Whenever the base creature hits a living target with it's touch attack, the creature takes 1d6 points of negative energy damage. This damage is also applied whenever the creature hits normally with it's natural weapons, but not with manufactured weapons.

If the base creature already had a negative energy touch attack, use whichever attack is better.

Unsettling Aura(Su):
Creatures within 20 feet must succeed on a Will save or become Shaken. The save DC is Charisma-based.

If the base creature already had a Fear aura, such as a Lich would, the save DC of their original aura increases by 2 instead.

Special Qualities:
The creature gains Turn Resistance +2

Challenge Rating: +1

Alignment: Changes to Lawful Evil

Fable Wright
2011-05-27, 07:12 PM
Disease(Ex):
Wasting Sickness; Contact, Fortitude DC 18, Incubation period 6-12 hours, damage 1d4 Str and Con. The save DC is Constituion-based.

Any creature who dies of Wasting Sickness rises as a Diseased Corpse 1 day later. This is a supernatural effect.

So... an extraordinary disease creates a supernatural effect? :smallconfused:

Also, be wary of this... any fledgling necromancers in the party will want one, and it can become a problem. Finally, a few questions:
1. The diseased corpses created by this undead- are they loyal to their creator? The necromancer who created their lineage ultimately? If so, do they count against the "blood"-line creator's undead control limit?
2. How could PCs in other games make these zombies? Animate dead+ritual? Create Undead?
3. Why no flaming skeletons, as well?
4. How can a necromancer apply the Mark of Stigma to his minions? What effects would the now LE alignment have on the undead? Will it obey laws it's creator created?

Dumbledore lives
2011-05-27, 07:26 PM
I think the pyre zombie might be a little bit strong for a CR2, compare it to the Slaymate in Libris Mortis. The pyre zombie has damage reduction, moves faster, deals more damage, and has death throes dealing a not insignificant damage at that level. It's true yours doesn't have a disease, but I don't think that mitigates the more immediate danger.

I'd suggest bumping it up to CR 3, though that might make it a bit weak. Maybe add a bit of strength or something then make it 3.

RndmNumGen
2011-05-27, 07:36 PM
Ah... yes, that probably should be a supernatural disease if it raises them, shouldn't it? Overlooked that little detail... Hmm... Anyway:

1) A creature slain by Wasting Fever that turned into a Diseased Corpse is not under the control of any creature, though it can still be controlled by Rebuke or Control Undead. An uncontrolled Diseased Corpse will attack any living creatures it notices, though it will not travel in search of prey. I shall add this in to the description.

2) I honestly haven't given that thought since there are no necromancers in the party, but I suppose Create Undead would do the trick.

3) There is already a template for flaming skeletons in Libris Mortis, and I didn't see the need to make another variant.

4) The Mark of the Stigmata can be applied through a ritual that my BBEG has developed, which costs 200 gp in incense and magical paints. I suppose other necromancers could apply the Mark as well, assuming they learned or recreated the ritual.

The LE alignment would change how intelligent undead act, but for mindless undead it would really only make them vulnerable to Chaos Hammer while immune to Dictum, and things like that. This is because the ritual infuses the creature with Infernal energy.

EDIT:

I think the pyre zombie might be a little bit strong for a CR2, compare it to the Slaymate in Libris Mortis. The pyre zombie has damage reduction, moves faster, deals more damage, and has death throes dealing a not insignificant damage at that level. It's true yours doesn't have a disease, but I don't think that mitigates the more immediate danger.

I'd suggest bumping it up to CR 3, though that might make it a bit weak. Maybe add a bit of strength or something then make it 3.

I would prefer the Pyre Zombie to remain CR 2 for various reasons. If the zombie needs to be nerfed so as to be brought back in line, perhaps the damage could be reduced to 2d4 or the save DC decreased?