PDA

View Full Version : Mentor figure... modeled after Megaman (my players, there be spoilers)

true_shinken
2011-05-27, 09:19 PM
OK, so I have this game where they players are fighting an opressive empire. I was thinking about statting the leader of their Resistance group. I decided I would name him Fazz, after the main character in Hoshigami, and I decided I'd give him a mighty arm grafts because war wounds a veteran make.
Then it hit me - with the mighty arms graft and a wand chamber, I could totally make him be like Megaman! Then I thought I would make him a Spellthief, so he could steal powers from others, just like Megaman. I also thought I'd make him a xeph, so I could get him Up the Walls (just like Megaman X) and noticed xeph burst is even similar to Megaman's dash.
I also wanted to give him a few (4 at most) Marshall levels so he could be a good leader, after all. I want him around level 12.
So it's looking like xeph Spellthief 8/Marshall 4.

Any thoughts on this? I don't know exactly what I should give him for feats or equipment...

Forged Fury
2011-05-27, 10:17 PM
Any thoughts on this? I don't know exactly what I should give him for feats or equipment...
Battlefist would be fun too. I think you want a Wand Sheath, not a Wand Chamber. Otherwise, sounds like fun.

Godskook
2011-05-28, 12:44 AM
Given his overall place in the story, I'd think about gestalting him with those marshal levels. It won't make him excessively powerful, but it will make him distinctly a 'cut above' from others around him, which is entirely appropriate for a PC party's mentor.

They'd go to him to help them research(inspire intelligence), to help with social problems that are blowing up(inspire charisma), and he'd make an excellent troop leader, helping entire armies scale mountains and cross rivers(inspire strength), and he'd be an excellent scout(inspire dex and wis). Not only all that, but he can still hold his own in a battle, often throwing spells back at his opponents.

Tvtyrant
2011-05-28, 12:44 AM
Not how I would make Megaman, but it sounds like it would work. If it were me I would make a Warforged Warlock with a wand chamber with a wand of fireball in it.

big teej
2011-05-28, 11:22 AM
Not how I would make Megaman, but it sounds like it would work. If it were me I would make a Warforged Warlock with a wand chamber with a wand of fireball in it.

wouldn't that be a bit to fragile? given how much abuse megaman takes?

cfalcon
2011-05-28, 04:21 PM
Depends on whether he has an "E" tank...

true_shinken
2011-05-28, 07:07 PM
I'll think about gestalt, but the simulationisty in me dislikes it. I'll definitely use the battlefist, thanks.

Any thoughts on feats?

big teej
2011-05-28, 08:46 PM
Depends on whether he has an "E" tank...

I'm more familiar with MegaManX rather than his normal counterpart.

does megaman have those little heart tanks that make your energy bar longer?

NineThePuma
2011-05-28, 10:56 PM
So, he's like X? Does he have a Vow of Peace too?

big teej
2011-05-28, 11:09 PM
So, he's like X? Does he have a Vow of Peace too?

that character trait is an abomination of the later games :smallannoyed:

Tvtyrant
2011-05-28, 11:36 PM
wouldn't that be a bit to fragile? given how much abuse megaman takes?

In the first 4 your squishy as all get out; in I you can be killed in two shots by the right bosses! I think it would work fine.

big teej
2011-05-28, 11:49 PM
In the first 4 your squishy as all get out; in I you can be killed in two shots by the right bosses! I think it would work fine.

I stand corrected.

as I said, I'm far more familiar with the Reploid.

he's far more durable.

Tvtyrant
2011-05-28, 11:57 PM
I stand corrected.

as I said, I'm far more familiar with the Reploid.

he's far more durable.

Yup ^^, he also gets a lot more options with the wall jumping and all. /off topic

Randel
2011-05-29, 10:42 AM
I'm not all that familiar with some of the non-core races and classes in 3.5 so here's what I would do:

Make him a warforged with a bit of a human appearance. If you want to go a more human route then he can be a Renegade Mastermaker (or have ranks in the class but the requirments were filled by someone else... he was injured and doctor Light fixed him up with construct parts so he could survive. Might have memory loss and he'd find messages from the doctor to help him out).

All of X's abilities can then be filled with various embedded components.

Wall Climbing - slippers of spider climb as components in his legs. Gives him 10 minutes of climbing up walls a day that he can split up as he wishes.

Arm Cannon - arm bow, basically fires arrows from his arm but you can fluff them as energy bolts. Other weapons could be the result of wands in his other arm. magic missile, fireball, telekinesis, explosive runes, etc.

Dash - just have him run fast or use Expeditious Retreat if needed.

Extra Lives - Would be interesting if it turns out that he's actually a Simulacrum or something similar... like there is and original X somewhere and the doctor set up a machine that constantly makes new simulacrum copies whenever one is destroyed. The original one is really powerful but held dormant due to the machine and all the weaker ones are constantly being created and teleported in to fight the empire. No matter how many times he's seemingly destroyed he comes back and he could wear the empire down... but since the copies are weaker and don't grow they aren't strong enough to beat the big bads of the empire. (This revelation might be tough for him and the resistance to handle... and the players have the choice of shutting the machine down to awaken the origional or they disable the 'only one copy at a time' function and create a whole army of simulacrums of him).

Or he could have clones set up... same thing but he loses a level each time he dies and it leaves a body (simulacrums would just dissolve upon destruction so each time he's defeated its like they never found the body so he might be alive).

Though if he is a warforged then you could just say that he's usually just disabled when defeated and someone rescues and repairs him so there's no extra lives thing going on.

Godskook
2011-05-29, 12:03 PM
Arm Cannon - arm bow, basically fires arrows from his arm but you can fluff them as energy bolts. Other weapons could be the result of wands in his other arm. magic missile, fireball, telekinesis, explosive runes, etc.

With the right bow (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20061227a), 'fluffing' isn't that hard.

darbythegambler
2011-05-29, 02:39 PM
Contingent True Resurrection items seem to be the best bet for the whole extra lives scenario, maybe a lesser spell to fit the level

true_shinken
2011-05-29, 04:51 PM
Hm, contingent spells are good for the extra lives. Contingent Delay Death plus Contingent Revivify plus Contingent Heal should do the trick. It's a trick that only works once, though. I think I'll go with it.

Can an armbow be installed in a warforged graft?