PDA

View Full Version : Armor of Power: This is now dead

Maxios
2011-05-27, 10:21 PM
I have a really awesome idea for a game, and before I try to pitch it to some game company, I need a prototype. I need someone to program the prototype, someone to draw the background and characters, and someone to animate.
First up, I need the Armor Creator:
This is how I think it should look:
http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy59/maxios5/AOP1.png

Click on the box beneath Armor Name let's you type in the name of your suit of power armor
Clicking on one of the Primary Colors changes the colors of: your helmet, your hands, and your feet.
Clicking on one of the Secondary Colors changes the colors of: your shoulderpads, your body
When you select a Primary Color, it's border turns to yellow
When you select a Secondary Color, it's border turns to yellow
Clicking on the + sign near Energy increases your Energy by 10, taking away $500.
Clicking on the + sign near Armor increases your Armor by 10, taking away $1,000
Clicking on the - sign near Energy decreases your Energy by 10, giving you $500 (Energy cannot be lowered beneath 250)
Clicking on the - sign near Armor decreases your Armor by 10, giving you $1000 (Armor cannot be lowered beneath 250)
When it comes to a point where you have less then $1000, you cannot increase your armor score.
When it comes to a point where you have less then $500, you cannot upgrade your armor score or your Energy Score

Clicking on the question mark by Armor score should have this pop up:

Your Armor Score represents the health of your armor. When you take damage, your Armor Score is lowered. When it reaches zero and you take damage, the damage is taken instead from your Health Score. If your Health reaches zero, your guy is killed. Your Armor Score can be gained back to it's normal amount by repairing it at the workbench in the Patrician Building.

Clicking on the question mark by the Energy Score should have this pop up:

Your Energy Score represents the energy of your armor. When you use gadgets, like your jetboots or Repulsor Beams, it lowers your Energy. When your Energy reaches zero, you can't use any gadgets. You can gain your Energy back to it's normal amount by charging your armor at the generator in the Patrician Building

Once the Armor Creator is programmed and animated, I'll say what needs to be programmed next.

Savannah
2011-05-27, 10:56 PM
So....you need someone to do literally all the work for you? And you expect them to do so out of the goodness of their hearts? Without ever seeing what's so "really awesome" about it so that they can decide for themselves if it's a project that they want to be involved in? :smallconfused:

Maxios
2011-05-27, 11:09 PM
Oh right...in the OP I forgot to say what the game was about :sigh:

Armor of Power is about rich millionaire/inventor Andrew Smith, who builds a suit of power armor. After stopping a rebellion while giving a demonstration of the armor in the fictional nation of Trateria, Smith returns to Los Angeles to fight crime. Because of this quest, he does battle with mercenaries, the mafia, and the occasional assasin. He also encounters the mysterious force known only as Mr. White, a being who's true intentions are unknown.
Features:
Explore a 2D version of Los Angeles, the City of Angels.
Customize your Power Armor and the gadgets on it. Each gadget takes up a slot (ie: one Repulsor Ray takes up one Hand Slot, Jet Boots take up the Feet slot, etc) You can also use money earned throughout the game to upgrade your armor and it's gadgets.
Your decisions effect the game. If you play a Lawful Character, protecting the innocent whenever possible, the denizens of the city look up to you. They take pictures of you. They might like you so much, they might make a movie about you. But if you play a Chaotic Character, by being selfish (ie: stopping a bank robbery only to take the money for yourself), you might end up being yelled at, rocks may get thrown at you, etc

If I could, I'd program this myself...but I suck at programming. And animating.

Savannah
2011-05-27, 11:15 PM
Um...I'm not even a comic fan, and that sounds exactly like Iron Man to me...

And you're still basically expecting people to do all your work for no compensation.

Trazoi
2011-05-28, 12:21 AM
Weren't you working on a lengthy RPG a couple of months ago? :smallconfused:

To echo what Savannah said, you aren't really bringing anything to the project to attract a programmer, artist or animator. Game ideas on their own aren't rare. I've got two dozen of my own on the corkboard in front of me, all of them more interesting to me as a programmer because they're mine. And I haven't met a game developer who isn't the same, from hobbyist to professional. Coming up with the ideas is the easy fun part and is about 1% of the actual work. :smallwink:

Prime32
2011-05-28, 07:13 AM
^ What you have just asked is "Will you make a game, then give me all the money and credit? Because that would be awesome".

Even if people wanted to help you, you picked the worst possible place to start. A bunch of buttons, with no actual gameplay? The ability to export data on your armor before you've even decided what data will be used? And you'd have to throw the whole thing out and rewrite it anyway to turn it from a standalone program into something integrated into the game.

You haven't even described the game itself, just the story (and vaguely at that), so no one would even be able to make a game from your instructions. The story is by far the least important part of the process, and what's added last. You can completely change the story by modifying a few lines of text. You cannot change the gameplay without starting from scratch.

Plus, you continue to throw out concepts which would get anyone developing them sued.

If you want to develop a game, get Game Maker (http://www.yoyogames.com/gamemaker/). Follow the tutorials (in order). Make a few games of your own, working slowly up from simple stuff to complex. If you want to succeed you'll get there - game development doesn't get any easier than Game Maker. You'll learn a lot in the process. If you still can't wrap your head around it, take a programming class. In game development, every member of the team needs some skill in each others' areas - the programmers know about graphics formats, and the designers can program.

Weren't you working on a lengthy RPG a couple of months ago? :smallconfused:Pretty sure it's the same project, but every aspect of it has changed multiple times. At one point it was a Fallout mod with wizards in it and D&D 3.5 mechanics.

Tyndmyr
2011-06-15, 08:48 PM
I have a really awesome idea for a game, and before I try to pitch it to some game company, I need a prototype. I need someone to program the prototype, someone to draw the background and characters, and someone to animate.
First up, I need the Armor Creator:.....

Once the Armor Creator is programmed and animated, I'll say what needs to be programmed next.

Is....is this a joke?

I mean, I'm a professional software engineer. I need about $150 an hour, or some other reason to participate. That said, this project is...pretty trivial. You could grab Visual Studio Express, and whip this up after a couple tutorials.

In general, if you want to get people to work on your projects, you'll need to offer them something. Say, a cooperation with them, because you have a skill that they don't, or a really intriguing, unique idea, with a very well laid out plan.

Maxios
2011-06-16, 12:43 PM
Well, it's kind of hard to fit an entire friggin' design document into one post under 50,000 characters :smallmad::smallwink::smalltongue:

*downloads Visual Studio Express*

Smight
2011-06-16, 01:32 PM
Here is a question, what exactly is your job in this endeavor?

Maxios
2011-06-16, 01:46 PM
What endeavor? As far as I'm concerned, this is dead. I'm still working on the Design Document, and I do eventually plan on creating this, but the project on these forums for this is dead.

Mad Mask
2011-06-16, 02:18 PM
This is a very useful link that might concern you (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_221/6582-Why-Your-Game-Idea-Sucks) (I think it was posted by kpenguin a while ago). The title is actually misleading; it's an article on the game designing process.

Tyndmyr
2011-06-17, 06:43 AM
Well, it's kind of hard to fit an entire friggin' design document into one post under 50,000 characters :smallmad::smallwink::smalltongue:

*downloads Visual Studio Express*

Good on you for getting started. Tbh, design documents written by people who are unfamiliar with the process of making gameds tend to not be worth much. It'd be like a car design from someone who never popped open the hood on their car. Once you get some practice building things, it'll be much easier to design them effectively.