PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] New Prestige Races

Tancred
2011-05-27, 10:26 PM
For those unfamiliar with Prestige Races, they were first introduced in Dragon Magazine #304, and are an alternate way to gain magical effects (taking a feat, and then spending XP instead of gp). Full details can be found here: http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Prestige_Races

As per the standard description in the link, most of the effects below are extraordinary abilities. The exception are spell-like and psionic-like abilities, which are supernatural.

I'd love feedback on costs. Well, everything really, but especially costs. I've done my best to equate everything to existing powers or items and then translate those through the Prestige Race formula, but there's some custom effects I've had to create to get things where I want them. I'm also not especially familiar with psionics, having only read the books and never had opportunity to use them (or see them used) in an actual campaign.

Shadow Focus
Those who focus on the shadow path will already have a connection to the realm of Shadow. Often obscure in more ways than one, they fear not the darkness, walking as confidently in inky blackness as they do in the light of day. Progressing along this path, characters slowly find themselves becoming more flexible, adapting to their environment, like the shadow of a flickering torch wrapping itself around the scenery. They also find their connection to the Plane of Shadow increases, to the point where they can step through the void to move between planes.

Scotopic Creature [Shadow]
In normal lighting, the first thing anyone notices about Scotopic Creatures is their piercing glare. While the whites of the eyes remain normal, their irises turn to dark grey or black, giving the impression of overly large pupils. The next thing anyone notices, if they notice anything at all, is that a Scotopic creature seems to flow as it moves. They have a natural fluidity to their movements, as if their bodies are more malleable than would otherwise be expected.

Prerequisites: Sculpt Self feat, and a strong connection to the Plane of Shadow.
Benefits: The creature gains the ability to see normally in natural and magical darkness, although it does not otherwise improve its ability to see in natural dark or shadowy conditions. It ignores the miss chance due to lack of illumination other than total darkness.
Scotopic creatures can manipulate the ambient lighting in the immediate area, increasing or decreasing illumination. This is treated as a use of the Control Light psionic ability, as a first level manifester. Any spells with the [Light] or [Darkness] descriptor of first level and above will prevail over this ability within their own area of effect.
The creature also gains a 25% chance to ignore the additional damage from sneak attacks and critical hits, as its body becomes slippery and hard to target.
The unusual and frightening appearance of their eyes grants a +2 circumstance bonus to Intimidate, as long as the eyes can be seen.
Cost: 3,440 XP.

Behind the scenes:

A continuous Ebon Eyes spell (Spell Compendium p77) would cost (1 x 1 x 2000 x 1.5 [duration 10 mins/level]) = 3,000gp on an item.
An at-will maifestation of Control Light (Expanded Psionics Handbook p87) would cost (1x1x1800) = 1,800gp. I found that multiple shadow-themed creatures could cast Darkness or Deeper Darkness either at will or x/day, but I love the feel of Control Light, and I love that it's not just darkness... Sometimes it's nice to be able to make things a little less gloomy for the party, even if they could just do the same with a few torches. Light fortification is a +1 armour improvement, that (when taking into account the prerequisite +1 armour bonus) would cost (((2x2)-(1x1))x1000) = 3,000gp. This type of protection is shared by all the various undead, elemental and construct shadow creatures, and also by the Shadow Eft and Khayal Genie.
The Intimidate bonus is priced at (2 x 2 x 100 x 2 [unusual bonus]) = 800gp. A minor effect, but I think it fits.
Combined, these add up to 8600gp, x2 for slot-less items, and /5 to obtain the XP cost.

Aphotic Creature [Shadow]
Able to reach into the gaps between worlds, Aphotic creatures often feel like they walk the boundary between the Shadow and Material planes. Their actions become fluidic, as they seem to flow when they move.

Prerequisites: Sculpt Self feat, Scotopic Creature.
Benefits: The creature can cast Plane Shift 1/day, to or from the Plane of Shadow only. Caster Level 9th.
It gains a +2 racial bonus on balance, escape artist and tumble.
Cost: 7440xp

Behind the scenes:

An at-will item of Plane Shift would cost (5 x 9 x 1800 / 5 [1/day]) = 16,200gp.
Each skill bonus is priced at (2 x 2 x 100 x 2 [unusual stacking]) = 800gp, for 2,400gp total.
Combined these add up to 18,600gp, x2/5 as before for XP cost.

Mindful Creature [Shadow]
Finding themselves withdrawn and typically quiet for hours at a time, Mindful Creatures find their minds expanding with the wisdom that comes from truly listening. As they open their thoughts to new ideas and concepts, they find that they can invite others into the same space.

Prerequisites: Sculpt Self feat, Aphotic Creature.
Benefits: The creature's protection against the additional damage from sneak attacks and critical hits improves to 75%. It may use Mindlink as a 5th level manifester (willing creatures only), with up to 5 creatures; this lasts up to an hour before the link must be renewed.
Cost: 8400 XP.

Behind the Scenes:

The Mindlink power cast at-will with 4 additional power points usage is priced at (1 x 5 x 1800) = 9,000gp. The time was increased by 10 minutes (from 50 to 60 minutes) for easier bookkeeping, and one usage of the power (unwilling creatures) was dropped. This was not picked as a continuous ability for flavour reasons - i.e. to allow the duration to be a factor in plot points. The Telepathy ability is used by the Nightwing, Nightwalker, Nightcrawler, and Nightshade Nighthaunt, and the Khayal Genie.
Moderate fortification is a +3 armour improvement, that (when taking into account the prerequisite +1 armour bonus) would cost ((4x4)-(1x1)x1000) = 15,000gp. But it's an improvement on the Light Fortification ability above (3000gp), so the price is reduced to 12,000gp.
Combined these add up to 21,000gp, x2/5 as before for XP cost.

Cimmerian Creature [Shadow]
Finally accepting of the darkness in their lives, Cimmerian creatures make the most of their fluidity. Not only do they find themselves more flexible than before, they also find it easier to slip through interplanar gaps and reach their intended location unerringly.

Prerequisites: Sculpt Self feat, Mindful Creature.
Benefits: The creature gains a +4 racial bonus on balance, escape artist and tumble. It can cast Greater Plane Shift 1/day, to or from the Plane of Shadow only, Caster Level 13th. This replaces the Plane Shift ability granted by Aphotic Creature.
Cost: 9504xp

Behind the scenes:

An at-will item of Greater Plane Shift would cost (7 x 13 x 1800 / 5 [1/day]) = 32,760gp, minus the cost of the removed Plane Shift effect (16,200gp), for a total of 16,560gp.
Each skill bonus is priced at (4 x 4 x 100 x 2 [unusual stacking]) = 3,200gp, for 9,600gp total. Minus the cost of the supplanted +2 bonuses (2,400gp) gives us a final total of 7,200gp.
Combined these add up to 23,760 gp, x2/5 as before for XP cost.

Celerity Focus
Those who follow the celerity path are fast. Really fast. But while traditional measures of movement will often focus on how quickly a creature can get from A to B, this path focuses on their micro movement - their ability to react and adapt as they move. This can manifest as noticing a slight breeze the moment it becomes strong enough to risk blowing them off a ledge, or stepping on a small twig and being fast enough to hear it creak before it breaks - even before they've put their full weight onto that twig. Followers of this path will perceive others as moving so slowly through the world that they will often become impatient with those who are unable to maintain the same pacing.

Perceptive Creature [Celerity]
Eyes darting, head twitching, a Perceptive Creature is always paying attention to their surroundings because they're so often waiting for those around them to catch up. Glancing around, their attention will often settle on twice as many different things as their slower counterparts.

Prerequisites: Sculpt Self feat, base land speed 50' or faster.
Benefits: The creature gains a +2 bonus to initiative checks. When making passive or reactive spot checks, or spot checks to notice anything out of the ordinary, it rolls two dice and picks the higher result.
Cost: 3,680 XP.

Behind the scenes:

Pricing an untyped initiative bonus was tricky, so I looked to different existing ways to provide it. First, I looked at the "Eager" weapon property, which gives a +2 untyped bonus for a +1 weapon enhancement cost. With an end goal of +4 initiative, taking the weapon property twice would be a +4 bonus, for a cost of ((3x3)-(1x1))x2000 = 16,000gp.
Next I looked at the cost of increasing Dex enough to produce the same effect. This would cost 8x8x1000 = 64,000gp. But Dex does so much; Initiative, AC, ranged/finesse attacks, reflex saves and a bunch of skill bonuses. 5 major categories, but if I divide the cost by 4 (sacrifice a small measure for convenience), it's the same price as the Eager idea. I'm calling that a win for consistency.
The first bonus is then based on a +1 => +2 weapon improvement (6k), the second bonus is based on the magical 16k figure above (minus the first).
The bonus on passive spot checks provides an increase of anywhere from +0 to +19 on the roll. While this sounds a lot, the average improvement to the total is, if my maths is right, only 3.325 over a full spread of 400 rolls. So I priced it as an untyped +4 bonus to Spot, and made no reductions for not applying to all spot checks. That restriction is one of applying a smidgeon of the real world for a moment: It would make no sense that an ability of this sort would make it easier to determine, for example, that a house in the distance had a red roof vs a brown roof. Cost is 4x4x100x2 [untyped bonus] =3,200gp.
Combined, these add up to 9,200gp. Multiply by 2 for slot-less, divide by 5 for XP as normal.

Fleet Creature [Celerity]
To a Fleet Creature, moving around is as easy as blinking or breathing. While others may feel the need to take time with careful movement, their reactions allow them to adapt their movement to their surroundings, dodging and weaving in ways that would leave others dizzy.

Prerequisites: Sculpt Self feat, Perceptive Creature.
Benefits: When making Balance, Climb, Hide, Move Silently or Tumble checks, the creature takes no penalty for moving at full speed. When charging or running, the appropriate penalty for accelerated movement is halved instead.
Cost: 3,200 XP.

Behind the scenes:

An adaptation of the Accelerated Movement Spell, from p7 of the Spell Compendium. Priced at 1x1x2000x4[measured in rounds]=8000gp, multiplied/divided as normal.
An at-will version would be 1x1x1800gp, using a swift action each round (it's a swift action spell) to activate. I went for the higher price because I would see it as an inherent property of the creature; it's part of their existing swiftness.
I can't say I'm 100% on this one though. It still seemed a little cheap compared with what you get in comparison with the other ones, so I added the charging/running clause myself to limit some of its excess. Did I get it right?

Vibrant Creature [Celerity]
With eyes darting even more than before, and even twitchier motion, the Vibrant Creature's movements seem to accelerate to the point where it is hard to keep track of what they're doing at any given moment. Even faster off the mark when reacting to the world around them, they will often have their weapon out before others have even realised a threat has presented itself.

Prerequisites: Sculpt Self feat, Fleet Creature.
Benefits: The creature gains a +4 bonus to initiative checks, which replaces the +2 bonus gained from Perceptive Creature. It is treated as continually being under the effect of a Blur spell, unless it is helpless, or makes a conscious effort (a move action each turn) to hold still.
Cost: 10,000 XP.

Behind the scenes:

The reasoning behind the initiative pricing is above in the Perceptive Creature notes: (16000-6000) = 10,000gp.
Pricing for the Blur is tricky. An at-will ability (for 2 minutes each activation) would cost 10,800gp. A continuous item would cost 24,000gp. I went with the middle figure of an established item; the Blurring and Greater Blurring armour properties from Magic Item Compendium. Price is (((4x4)-(1x1))*1000)=15,000gp.
For my own character in our own campaign, I actually want something else to replace the Blur, but it fits too well not to use here. Would love to hear suggestions for an alternative. Maybe a dodge bonus to AC, and/or a +1 to hit, a la Haste?
Combined cost is 25,000gp, multiplied by 2, divided by 5 for XP as before.
Does the move-action-to-suppress bit sound about right? It's basically like lowering Spell Resistance to receive a Heal, or touching the cleric (instead of the cleric touching you) when using Mirror Image.
Also not sure of the "always on". Maybe it should be "under the effect of a Blur spell, unless flat footed"? It could certainly make the surprise round a bit more powerful for ambushers.

Metabolic Creature [Celerity]
Every cell of a Metabolic Creature's body shares the same speediness of the creature itself. Its metabolism has sped up to the point where healing can happen before your eyes, with flesh and sinew knitting itself at a visible rate. Some find this disconcerting, while others find it fascinating.

Prerequisites: Sculpt Self feat, Vibrant Creature, Constitution 12.
Benefits: The creature heals 5 points of damage per minute. This healing is not effective against damage from starvation, thirst, or suffocation. The creature can regrow lost portions of its body and reattach severed limbs.
Cost: 12,200 XP.

Behind the scenes:

I don't want to go into too much detail on this one since it's close to an existing item from a non-SRD book, but if you look at p172 of the Magic Item Compendium (top of the page, middle column) you'll see what I mean.
Cost adjusted for XP using the same formula.

Edit 1: Changed "helpless or unconscious" to "helpless", which includes the latter anyway.
Edit 2: Changed/shuffled ability names.

Tancred
2011-05-27, 10:27 PM
[Reserved. Just in case.]

Kellus
2011-05-27, 10:56 PM
The effects are interesting, and it's a neat idea for a new kind of way to modify a character. It's also very well priced, and you've obviously put a lot of thought into the prices for them.

The big problem I have, though, is with the way it's implemented. XP costs are just bad in every way. It's the epitome of 'pay now, lose later' which just doesn't work in D&D. You shouldn't be able to buy features for your character by making the character weaker later, because there's no guarantee you're going to be playing the character later. Most campaigns don't run from levels 1-20, and XP costs are just plain bad in real play. They're bad for the team, and they're bad for the character in the long run.

I'd suggest finding a different way to price them. I realize that you're just expanding on something that already existed, but it's a bad bad idea to pay for these things with XP.

deuxhero
2011-05-29, 11:22 PM
There's always transference (and if you point out to the DM that there's a lot less work if he doesn't have to figure out your separately from everyone else's, just being able to flat out sacrifice x gold for y XP.) to avoid spending XP.

Solaris
2011-05-30, 12:48 PM
The effects are interesting, and it's a neat idea for a new kind of way to modify a character. It's also very well priced, and you've obviously put a lot of thought into the prices for them.

The big problem I have, though, is with the way it's implemented. XP costs are just bad in every way. It's the epitome of 'pay now, lose later' which just doesn't work in D&D. You shouldn't be able to buy features for your character by making the character weaker later, because there's no guarantee you're going to be playing the character later. Most campaigns don't run from levels 1-20, and XP costs are just plain bad in real play. They're bad for the team, and they're bad for the character in the long run.

I'd suggest finding a different way to price them. I realize that you're just expanding on something that already existed, but it's a bad bad idea to pay for these things with XP.

HP?

Tenwordstenwordstenwords

Tancred
2011-06-04, 01:26 AM

Thank you :smallbiggrin:

You're right, a lot of thinking did go into these. My big uncertainty was whether it was correct thinking :smallwink:

The big problem I have, though, is with the way it's implemented. XP costs are just bad in every way. It's the epitome of 'pay now, lose later' which just doesn't work in D&D. You shouldn't be able to buy features for your character by making the character weaker later, because there's no guarantee you're going to be playing the character later.

Seeing this as the strongest criticism so far is pretty cool. We're in a solid campaign (3 years, and still going strong) so I'm pretty confident I'll get to see it pay off in the long run.

I do see your point though, and certainly wouldn't take these options (or any Prestige Race options) in a throwaway campaign, or one at risk of being short term.

There's always transference (and if you point out to the DM that there's a lot less work if he doesn't have to figure out your separately from everyone else's, just being able to flat out sacrifice x gold for y XP.) to avoid spending XP.

I give my DM a lot of work, but it's all outside of the game. I think (hope) he's used to / ok with it, and I try to repay it by doing anything I can to help keep the games themselves running as smoothly as possible.

Or to answer it another way: Complexity's not an issue for our party as long in-game bookkeeping is kept to a minimum.

HP?

Tenwordstenwordstenwords

EH?

(Thatwasonlysevenwordsmaybeeight :smalltongue:)

Solaris
2011-06-04, 08:11 PM
EH?

(Thatwasonlysevenwordsmaybeeight :smalltongue:)

Ol' dude was looking for an alternative cost. I suggested HP, though obviously not as many XP as you'd be spending. Perhaps 1 hit point per thousand XP. Maybe an ability score point instead.

I know, the forum is wonky about that. Supposedly, it's a minimum of ten words - you know, the kind with spacing in between them. I've found it's best to just not question the madness.

Peregrine
2011-06-20, 01:07 PM
As the DM in question, I should probably comment on this (and soon, lest I become guilty of thread necromancy). :smallwink:

As Tancred has pointed out, the campaign is a long-running one... though I wonder whether that's actually going to make the XP cost hurt more rather than less -- he'll be further behind, say, the sorcerer, who's approaching 8th-level spells already.*

But I wonder whether those suggesting alternate costs have read the prestige races article (http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Prestige_Races)? (It's Open Game Content.) Alternatives to XP costs are presented there (the "For Your Campaign" section at the bottom), but it sounds like everyone's trying to come up with alternatives from scratch.

If I find that Tancred's character is falling too far behind in levels, I'm willing to (retroactively) swap the XP cost for GP. I think monetary costs (research, ritual components) work just fine in-character.

As for the actual features granted... I do find some of them a bit of a stretch for the theme -- but that said, I actually like the diversity that results. Having mindlink as a supernatural ability, for example, is an unexpected effect of becoming "shadowy", yet I found myself quite happy to accept it.

The only thing that continues to bother me is the names... as I said to Tancred in person, it seems like he went plundering the thesaurus. Few of the names seem to bear any link to the features gained at that "level", and some of them really ought to be ordered differently. ("Aphotic", for example, means a complete absence of light, whereas the other three more or less mean "poorly lit".) But I haven't come up with anything better; if I do I'll be sure to suggest them.

* Before anyone launches into a discussion of tiers and how can I be so cruel as to let a monk and a sorcerer be in the same party, let me simply say that it works for us. :smalltongue: Especially because Tancred is the biggest powergamer in the group, and the sorcerer's player is completely not. Though Tancred keeps helping her...

Tancred
2011-06-21, 07:58 AM
As the DM in question, I should probably comment on this (and soon, lest I become guilty of thread necromancy). :smallwink:

Huzzah! I was hoping you'd post.

As Tancred has pointed out, the campaign is a long-running one... though I wonder whether that's actually going to make the XP cost hurt more rather than less -- he'll be further behind, say, the sorcerer, who's approaching 7th-level spells already.*

Thanks to the marvels of multiclassing, at my next level up (assuming I take a fifth level of Matapor Street Wrestler (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115202), which I plan to) I will simultaneously attain both BAB 11 and Greater Flurry, for an extra 2 attacks/round. It's no Disintegrate, but it'll do :smallwink:

If I find that Tancred's character is falling too far behind in levels, I'm willing to (retroactively) swap the XP cost for GP. I think monetary costs (research, ritual components) work just fine in-character.

*shrug*

Everyone else in the party (amusingly) seems to think my monk is on the powerful end of the scale. Maybe lagging behind for a level or two will help dispel that notion?

As for the actual features granted... I do find some of them a bit of a stretch for the theme -- but that said, I actually like the diversity that results. Having mindlink as a supernatural ability, for example, is an unexpected effect of becoming "shadowy", yet I found myself quite happy to accept it.

Of the eight shadow-themed creatures I found of CR10 and above, four of them had 100' telepathy.

I thought back to your descriptions of the mood of the Shadow Plane - a cold, quiet place, and figured that one would probably spend more time in one's own head than talking to others. It didn't seem like too much of a jump from there that such a quiet place might help carry the echo of one's thoughts.

The only thing that continues to bother me is the names... as I said to Tancred in person, it seems like he went plundering the thesaurus.

Yep. That's exactly what happened.

Few of the names seem to bear any link to the features gained at that "level", and some of them really ought to be ordered differently.

Challenge accepted. I've renamed most of the above, and reordered a couple where a name was kept.

Aphotic and Cimmerian both relate to living in darkness, and both now name abilities to do with Plane Shift to the Plane of Shadow, i.e. the creature's "home" plane.

Scotopic is an ophthalmological term relating to one's eyes adjusting to darkness, and the eyes are the focal point for that sculpting.

Mindful I picked for its double meaning.

One the Celerity side of things, I've kept Fleet, which still fits, and picked some other words that relate more to the abilities at hand rather than just choosing synonyms for "fast".

Thoughts?

* Before anyone launches into a discussion of tiers and how can I be so cruel as to let a monk and a sorcerer be in the same party, let me simply say that it works for us. :smalltongue: Especially because Tancred is the biggest powergamer in the group

I think you misspelt "only" :smallwink:. What would be the challenge in taking a Tier 1 or 2 class and becoming a God? It's much more fun to look through dozens of sourcebooks for synergistic skills and abilities in a doomed attempt to try to keep up with the rest of the party. I like to flatter myself in thinking I've taken a monk to somewhere in the middle of Tier 4, and that I could have almost reached Tier 3 with a little less aversion to cheddar :smalltongue:

DarkSunLord1
2011-07-19, 04:31 PM
Wait, didn't the people who did The Oathbound campaign setting, come up with prestige races first?

Tancred
2011-07-22, 10:26 AM
Wait, didn't the people who did The Oathbound campaign setting, come up with prestige races first?

Yes. They're mentioned in the link (http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Prestige_Races) I posted above :smallsmile: