PDA

View Full Version : soulbow's mind arrow as a feat?

Darth Stabber
2011-05-27, 11:11 PM
Would it be reasonable to make soul arrow into a feat? There are feats in CPsi that convert your mind blade into other types of weapons (all crap, but the point remains). Or should it be two feats: 1 for the arrow chucking, 1 for allowing you to make enough each turn to allow iteratives/manyshot/rapidshot. Or would it be better to actually shape your mindblade into a bow and use real arrows if you are grabbing this for the price of a feat.

I am asking this since I am working on a soulborn/soulknife baseclass (yes I realize it has been done before), and soulbow is just aweful if you are not advancing the incarnum side as well.

I don't know if this would be better off in homebrew, if it should be I am sorry and may a moderator please move it?

Godskook
2011-05-28, 12:24 AM
95% of the point of Soubow is in the first level, and if homebrew 19/soulbow 1 ruins the abilities of your homebrew, it needs more work.

Otoh, you're homebrewing, just insert the mind arrow feature into the class and call it a day.

Darth Stabber
2011-05-28, 01:39 PM
Otoh, you're homebrewing, just insert the mind arrow feature into the class and call it a day.

That's a good idea/point. I was already trying to work out a 7th lvl feature, and this fills it out well. The problem with anything soulknife related is that it is hard to balance "I has a weapon". The ability is undeniably cool, but looks a lot stronger than it actually could be.

Godskook
2011-05-29, 12:23 AM
That's a good idea/point. I was already trying to work out a 7th lvl feature, and this fills it out well. The problem with anything soulknife related is that it is hard to balance "I has a weapon". The ability is undeniably cool, but looks a lot stronger than it actually could be.

If you really want to give the class something unique, move away from the 'this weapon does that' idea, and towards the 'my mindblade does what I want it to do'.

I.e., make a list of mundane weapon properties, such as:
-reach
-trip
-set against charge
-double damage on charge(if mounted)
-disarm
-sunder
-crit multiplier
-crit range
-reach+adjacent(the spiked chain's boon)
-damage*

*don't set the soulknife's damage according to size, and you'll be a step closer to 'fixing' it.

And then allow the class to select some from that area, and more at increased levels. So you could have a high-crit range weapon with x4 crit on it by level 20, or you could have a reach+ trip weapon with a couple damage boosters.

Viktyr Gehrig
2011-05-29, 06:21 AM
Would it be reasonable to make soul arrow into a feat?

Assuming that a Soulknife would max out Autohypnosis anyway, gaining the mind arrow is effectively less than a feat anyway; 1 level of Soulbow gives you a bonus ranged feat and only delays the other Soulknife features by 1 level anyway.

Making it a feat with the same prerequisites as the Soulbow prestige class actually makes it a little weaker. Adding Wisdom to damage just makes a MAD class even MADder.

Honestly, I'd just make it a class feature of the class you're working on and call it a day.

Godskook
2011-05-29, 12:21 PM
Making it a feat with the same prerequisites as the Soulbow prestige class actually makes it a little weaker. Adding Wisdom to damage just makes a MAD class even MADder.

Zen Archery is considered a 'class feature' of the soulbow in the same manner that Knowledge Devotion is considered a class feature of the Duskblade.