PDA

View Full Version : Spellbooks and spell list compatability?

Tzachitx
2011-05-28, 08:44 AM
Hey, was just wondering if anyone would be able to help me clarify little point that's been bothering me for a while. I've googled this several times with no luck, and I did a search of these forums but similarly didn't turn up much.

I've re-read the spellbook rules a few times, but nowhere under "Spells Copied from Another's Spellbook or a Scroll" does it say that the spells must be on the Wizard's spell list to copy them into their spellbook. Now I know what you might be thinking, "that's just common sense", and I sort of agree, but;
a) If there's a totally conclusive answer in RAW that i'm just missing like an idiot, i'd be able to stop thinking about it.
b) I have a character who's a Death Master (Dragon Compendium), who learns and casts spells like a wizard but with a different spell list, including copying from scrolls and spellbooks, and if there's no rules against spell list, in theory I could learn any of the wiz/sorc spells I don't have access to normally by copying them into my spellbook.

This isn't an issue of trying to get more powerful spells, it's just that I genuinely can't tell if the Death Master is SUPPOSED to be able to copy from normal spellbooks and the limited spell list is intended just to limit the spells they get while leveling up, forcing you to go to greater lengths to get the others. I'm not sure if this is an oversight in core and spell copying SHOULD be limited by spell list, or if it's totally intended and i'm interpreting the rules wrong.

It becomes even more irksome when you start thinking about the "flavour" of it, because personally i'm not sure there's any reason that these casters, who operate just like wizards and already have an array of wizard spells on their list (many of which are not Necromancy school), would for some reason not be able to research and copy up new spells outside this quite arbitrary list of spells. Example: I can get Ice Storm on my own list through leveling or copying; through what justification is it that I wouldn't be allowed to copy up Fireball?

So, is their disadvantage in the limits of their spell list, or in the extra effort they have to go through to get non-list spells?

Big thanks for any help/opinions on this issue; I want to play this one by the book, but it's a little tricky.

Yuki Akuma
2011-05-28, 08:46 AM
You can only cast spells from your class spell list - it says so in the Spellcasting class ability description.

While I don't see any particular problem in having foreign spells in your spellbook, you can't cast them (so a Wizard can use a spellbook acquired from a Death Master or Chameleon just fine, he just can't cast the non-Wizard spells).

Tzachitx
2011-05-28, 01:12 PM
You can only cast spells from your class spell list - it says so in the Spellcasting class ability description.

Oh duh, of course it does; the spellbook rules don't need to mention spell lists because what the chara can cast is already limited in the class description. That pretty much covers the "conclusive answer that i'm missing like an idiot" point, hah.

Thanks for the help!