PDA

View Full Version : The ape's got a bow, run! [PF]

Retech
2011-05-28, 08:59 AM
Background info:

So with the release of ultimate magic (yay), there comes an archetype that is akin to the beast lord (or something like that in 3.5). Basically, you can spread around the levels of druidness into several different animal companions.

Now at level 4, I have combined that with playing a human using antihero, giving me four feats. Four apes with four boon companions = four level 4 apes.

At fifth level, I shall be getting natural spell, so that I can turn into a large ape at level 6 and go into battle at the head of five apes (I anticipate a low level campaign, and I can always retrain feats later on).

While they are already beast at melee, I noticed that I have a lacking in ranged attacks.

My question is: what is the best way to up the ranged power of a large humanoid with the following tools at your disposal. Note it has no weapon proficiencies and cannot gain class levels:

1000 gp
2 feats

Its stats being (cannot be changed):

22 str
16 dex
14 con
3 int
12 wis
7 char

And another possibly unrelated question: are there any tree-like animal companions? I am interested in creating a leaky windstaff character. :P

arguskos
2011-05-28, 09:03 AM
Throw rocks. That's the general response to "apes need ranged attacks".

Use your feats to acquire Power Attack and something that involves throwing rocks.

Luckmann
2011-05-28, 09:07 AM
Well you have no opposable thumbs, so a bow is out of the question. :smalltongue:

Retech
2011-05-28, 09:11 AM
I think that they do. :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hominidae

Is there some sort of throwing stones feat or is it just throw anything?

arguskos
2011-05-28, 09:12 AM

Is there some sort of throwing stones feat or is it just throw anything?
It's "grab a rock and have a good time". :smalltongue:

Retech
2011-05-28, 09:15 AM
What is the damage done by throwing a small-sized rock? (Aka, dwarf sized or a dwarf)

Luckmann
2011-05-28, 09:33 AM

Is there some sort of throwing stones feat or is it just throw anything?Well, look at that! Guess I got my primates mixed up.

What is the damage done by throwing a small-sized rock? (Aka, dwarf sized or a dwarf)Base damage of a sling is 1d4, isn't it? Thrown darts, too.

I could be mistaken, but I'd guess 1d4.

Edit: When you say "small-sized" I just naturally assumed a rock that would fit in your hand, but do you actually mean a rock the size the size category "small"? Because if so, I wouldn't have a clue. I wouldn't even know where to begin.

You might as well ask me "What is the base damage of a halfling, used as a throwing weapon?". :smalltongue:

Retech
2011-05-28, 09:36 AM
So I was scrounging around, and I found the description for rock throwing:

Damage from a thrown rock is generally twice the creature's base slam damage plus 1-1/2 times its Strength bonus

So that would be a nice 2d8 + 10 damage from a dorf-sized rock?

Now the question becomes: does a dorf wearing armor count as having hardness of five?

It would be interesting if I could gather a group of hirelings for 3 sp a day (trained to be used as projectiles), and have my apes throw the dorfs at people.

Edit: Yes, I mean literally a rock in the small sized category. :P

---

My bad, dorfs aren't actually small.