PDA

View Full Version : A medium flying mount

Hironomus
2011-05-28, 09:09 AM
I am trying to find a creature that fits these criteria, to serve as a mount for a halfling character.

-It needs to be obtainable as either an animal companion or a special mount.
-It needs to be able to fly and bear a rider of small size obviously.
-Preferably not above medium size.
-It would be nice if it was a bird of some description, for flavour reasons.
-The earlier it is obtainable the better.

So what is my best option?
I swear I found a thread about this before, but I can't find it anywhere. It mentioned something called a riding bird, from a dragon magazine I believe. Any details on that would be appreciated as well.

Allanimal
2011-05-28, 09:21 AM
I am trying to find a creature that fits these criteria, to serve as a mount for a halfling character.

I swear I found a thread about this before, but I can't find it anywhere. It mentioned something called a riding bird, from a dragon magazine I believe. Any details on that would be appreciated as well.

The dire hawk from Races of the Wild may be what you want.
Medium. Animal Companion.

Talya
2011-05-28, 09:21 AM

Dire Hawk, MMII, page 76.

Edit: Swordsaged!

Hironomus
2011-05-28, 09:28 AM
Ah I was afraid of that :smalltongue:

It may sound strange but I was hoping for something less... serious than a hawk. Something cute like a sparrow.

But regardless, I think the dire hawk fits the bill. Thanks for that. If anyone knows anything better please tell me.

Codenpeg
2011-05-28, 09:30 AM
How about a half-dragon riding dog? Or you could go with a flying pig. Just look at any templates that give you winged animals and find one you like to give wings.

Edit: No half dragon wouldn't work either.. although I suppose you could add half-celestial onto a more intelligent creature.

Allanimal
2011-05-28, 09:34 AM
It may sound strange but I was hoping for something less... serious than a hawk. Something cute like a sparrow.

Refluff the dire hawk into a dire chickadee?

tyckspoon
2011-05-28, 09:34 AM

But regardless, I think the dire hawk fits the bill. Thanks for that. If anyone knows anything better please tell me.

..yeaaah. I don't think you're going to find a Medium-sized songbird, although there might be one as a Magical Beast somewhere that I don't know of.

HalfDragonCube
2011-05-28, 10:39 AM
..yeaaah. I don't think you're going to find a Medium-sized songbird, although there might be one as a Magical Beast somewhere that I don't know of.

Cheep. Cheep.

dspeyer
2011-05-28, 11:06 AM
Refluffing is probably your best bet. The monster manuals are weak on animals that aren't tough fighters.

A Giant Bee might suit your taste. It's weak enough to make a reasonable first-list animal companion, so long as the vermin subtype doesn't bother you.

Or if song is vital, take draconic leadership and ride a young copper dragon bard.

Luckmann
2011-05-28, 11:09 AM

Just refluff the Dire Hawk, really. Make it a Dire Sparrow.

Hell, make it a Dire Hummingbird. :smallbiggrin:

Hironomus
2011-05-28, 11:14 AM
Just refluff the Dire Hawk, really. Make it a Dire Sparrow.

Hell, make it a Dire Hummingbird. :smallbiggrin:

That is one big sparrow :smalltongue:

But I think I'll just go with the hawk...
Where possible I like to avoid unessecary fluffing. A hawk is perfectly adequate for my needs.
As for the dragon suggestion, A paladin gets that right? How exactly?
Ditto for the Giant bee or whatever it was.

HalfDragonCube
2011-05-28, 12:37 PM
That is one big sparrow :smalltongue:

But I think I'll just go with the hawk...
Where possible I like to avoid unessecary fluffing. A hawk is perfectly adequate for my needs.
As for the dragon suggestion, A paladin gets that right? How exactly?
Ditto for the Giant bee or whatever it was.

The dragon thing is a feat in Draconomicon.

Dunno about the bee.

Buzz. Buzz.

Talya
2011-05-28, 02:32 PM

Refluff the Dire Hawk to "Dire Parrot," and go to town. (For reference, the Hyacinth Macaw is bigger than any hawk to start with, and some parrots are predatory, so a Dire version of one? It's not such a ridiculous idea.)

Googled Hyacinth Macaw pic below:

http://brandags.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/img_3241.jpg

Lord.Sorasen
2011-05-28, 02:35 PM

There is a riding bird in dragon magazine, but it's in a section detailing how someone might mimic final fantasy in D&D (meaning it's a chocobo, and doesn't fly).

Dire Bat can be attained by a 4th level druid... Otherwise dire hawk is really your best bet.

ShriekingDrake
2011-05-28, 02:45 PM
I suspect this doesn't meet your criteria but consider the Elephant Bird (http://creaturecatalog.enworld.org/converted/view_c.php?CreatureID=1609)

You'll likely need some DM approval here.