PDA

View Full Version : Home, At The Range

Isolder74
2011-05-28, 01:34 PM
I'm not sure where is should post this. I have created my own online cooking show. If this is not the right place someone can direct me to the best place to put it.

Anyway, Welcome to Home, At The Range.

The First episode is finished and posted!

Episode One, The Foundation (http://blip.tv/HomeAtTheRange/episode-one-the-foundation-5215036)

Hello, I'm Dan, The Home Grown Chef. Everything I know I either learned from my mother or from personal experience. Like those at Pixar i also believe that Anyone Can Cook. All it takes is a little effort and practice.

In my first episode I've decided to cover how to make my own special spice mix which I use in many applications.

Recipe:

Dan's Beef Rub
'Boone' Spice

2 tbsp Emeril's Essence
2 tbsp Prudhomme's Magic
2 tbsp Smoked Paprika
2 tbsp Sweet Paprika
2 tbsp Whole Black Peppercorns
1 tsp Whole White Peppercorns
2 tbsp Dried Minced Onions
2 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tbsp Italian Spice Mix(Or make your own: 2 tsp Dried Parsley, 1 tsp Rubbed Sage, 1 tsp Rosemary, 1 tsp Oregano, 1 tsp Thyme)
1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper

Simple Steak

1 Steak
Kosher Salt
Spice(optional)

Happy Cooking Everyone!

Asthix
2011-05-28, 03:17 PM
Hi Dan! I liked the hand test for if you don't have a thermometer. One thing I noticed is that you don't mention Emeril's essence or Prudhomme's Magic or what they are in the video. Also, I think the hymnal music works well sometimes and not as well at other times. And I'm sure you know the sound is too loud at the 6:00 mark.

I can see you becoming very efficient at this (the video production, you obviously are a good cook already) in no time if you stick with it. Good luck!

Isolder74
2011-05-28, 03:38 PM
Well there is always a few hiccups the first time you do something like this. There is two spots that I have to voice over and once only scenes I shot the Camera destroyed the footage. Edit: As for the organ music, it was part of illustrating my point. The organ was imitating bagpipes in that piece so that's why I used it. In the case of spices, Turmeric+small amount of Paprika almost tastes like Saffron(add tiny bit of that and you can complete the deception hence why you should always suspect a can of ground 'Saffron' that costs less then $15 it's probably mostly Turmeric!).

I do talk about them in the section that I'm at the store. I admit that I probably should have explained them a bit more but the shoot at the store was getting frustrating. They had this promo playing the background that kept ruining takes so I didn't get to say all I wanted to.

I'm glad you liked the hand test. I added that so that if you don't have the instant read thermometer someone watching this can try it right away. What I said about opening the blender is very true. I didn't wait quite long enough so had to wait a bit before finishing filming.

grimbold
2011-05-28, 04:47 PM
this is really cool
really cool
but i think it goes in the media section :)

Isolder74
2011-05-29, 12:00 PM
If someone could move this to a more appropriate place I'd be very grateful.

Zain
2011-05-30, 04:13 PM
I enjoyed it, and eagerly await more:smallbiggrin:

Nibleswick
2011-05-30, 10:50 PM
That was pretty good. Now I just wish I could afford a steak to try your methods.

On a side note after a few minutes I had to jump to the credits just 'cause I was sure that was MoTab playing and I had to prove it.

Hawkfrost000
2011-05-31, 12:28 AM
awww, i thought this thread would be about guns :smallfrown:

anyway, cooking is a close second

looks really good, ill try your rub some time

DM

Isolder74
2011-05-31, 01:52 AM
That was pretty good. Now I just wish I could afford a steak to try your methods.

On a side note after a few minutes I had to jump to the credits just 'cause I was sure that was MoTab playing and I had to prove it.

Well like I said any steak will do even a cheap one. for cheap deal points check on the manager's specials you can often snag a good deal on nice cuts.

Yes the Tabernacle Organ is very distinctive.

Isolder74
2011-06-02, 03:19 PM
Episode Two, The Fond. (http://blip.tv/HomeAtTheRange/home-at-the-range-episode-two-the-fond-5235296)

This episode I will be covering making use of the hidden gold in the kitchen, the Fond. Fond is what they call the bits that will end up stuck on the bottom of your pan after searing/cooking meat.

As part of this episode I will cover making a simple Au Jus and a Gravy.

Recipes:

Au Jus

1 cup White Grape-Peach Juice
1 cup Broth
1/4 tsp Thyme
Salt and Pepper to taste

Gravy

1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
2 tbsp Butter
2 cups Broth
1/2 tsp Thyme
Salt and Pepper to taste

Happy Cooking Everyone!

Jahkaivah
2011-06-02, 03:54 PM
Like those at Pixar i also believe that Anyone Can Cook. All it takes is a little effort and practice.

Wasn't the message actually "Not anyone can cook. But a talent for cooking could come from anyone"? :smalltongue:

Isolder74
2011-06-02, 03:58 PM
Wasn't the message actually "Not anyone can cook. But a talent for cooking could come from anyone"? :smalltongue:

You do realize that you just said the same thing twice?

Jahkaivah
2011-06-02, 04:17 PM
You do realize that you just said the same thing twice?

Was just paraphrasing the film, though I think it was "Not everyone" as opposed to "Not anyone".

Nibleswick
2011-06-03, 01:48 PM
Ah, but cooking, like any art form is a teachable skill based on certain scientific principles.
So it is possible for anyone to develop their cooking talents (or any other talent for that matter). It's just easier or more interesting for some than others.

Isolder74
2011-06-19, 02:02 PM
Episode 3: Dan's Super Mac and Cheese (http://blip.tv/HomeAtTheRange/episode-3-dan-s-super-mac-cheese-5292531)

Welcome to Home, At The Range. Today I will cover making Macaroni and Cheese. This will include making your own awesome cheese sauce.

Recipe:

Dan's Super Mac & Cheese.

4 cups Macaroni(raw)
1/2 pound Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1/2 pound Shredded Colby-Jack Cheese
2 oz Parmesan Cheese(fresh shredded best)
2 tbsp Corn Starch
1 cup Milk
2 tbsp Flour
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder or One Clove Minced(Preferred)
1/4 cup Butter(4 tbsp) Butter
Salt and Pepper to taste
Other Spices to taste(I use Boone Spice)

Happy Cooking Everyone!

Isolder74
2011-07-26, 01:40 PM
My laptop that I use for editing power adapter died on me so until I get that fixed I won't be able to put up any new episodes. My next planned episode will be my special marbled white/wheat bread.

Isolder74
2011-08-29, 08:13 PM
Episode 4: The Staff of life

Apologies to everyone for taking so long to get this together. The last few months have felt like a train wreck.

Episode 4: The Staff of Life (http://blip.tv/HomeAtTheRange/episode-4-the-staff-of-life-5507597)

In this episode I will be covering two basic recipes for bread. Marbled Wheat Bread and Classic Cornbread.

Recipes

Marbled Wheat Bread

4 cups warm water(120 F)
4 tbsp melted butter
1 tsp salt 2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp honey
4 tbsp steel cut oats
4 tbsp thick rolled oats(not instant)
4 tbsp cracked wheat
4 tbsp cornmeal
2 tbsp yeast
1 cup flour
16 oz bread flour(by weight)
16 oz whole wheat bread flour

1 egg + 1 tbsp water beaten together

Cornbread

Recipe by Chef Paul Prudhomme

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup cornmeal
3/4 cup corn flour (AKA masa)
1 cup sugar(or honey)
7 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 cups milk
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 whole egg, beaten

Isolder74
2011-09-06, 12:06 PM
Episode 5. When life gives you lemons... (http://blip.tv/HomeAtTheRange/episode-5-when-life-gives-you-lemons-5528246)

In this episode I will cover how to make an excellent batch of homemade lemonade. I will cover how to pick out good lemons, how to harvest the flavor from the lemon zest and how to make your own batch of awesome lemonade. The name of the recipe comes from when I had my brother, Tim, taste test the recipe for me. He said drinking it made him feel like he wanted to take on the world.

Dan's "Take On The World!" Lemonade

The Juice of 4 medium lemons
Zest of one lemon
2 cups of water
5 x water equal to the amount of the lemon juice from the lemons
1 cup of sugar
1 pinch of salt

Raistlin1040
2011-09-06, 09:47 PM
Oh man, now I'm hungry.

Isolder74
2011-10-06, 09:54 AM
Episode 6: Nose to the Grinder (http://blip.tv/HomeAtTheRange/episode-6-nose-to-the-grinder-5619506)

In this episode I will cover making my Grinder AKA Super Sandwich.

I will also show how to make your own French/Italian bread and home-made Garlic Butter/Garlic Bread.

Recipes: Italian Bread, Garlic Butter, and Dan's Super Sandwich.

Classic Italian Bread

2 cups Water
1 tbsp Yeast
2 tbsp Sugar
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 cup Bread Flour
1 pound Bread Flour + amount needed to finish kneading

Garlic Butter

1 stick Butter
1 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp Dried Parsley
1 ounce(by weight) Finely Grated Parmesan Cheese

Super Sandwich

1/2 pound each of 3 different types of lunch-meats(any type you like).
13 slices of Cheese(3x)
4 Strips of Bacon(cooked and drained)
2 Medium Tomatoes(garden grown best!)
1 medium Sweet Onion
1/2 pound Lettuce or Spinach
or anything else you like!

Isolder74
2011-10-29, 10:29 AM
Episode 7, Salad Days (http://blip.tv/HomeAtTheRange/episode-7-salad-days-5688416)

In this episode I will cover making my Amazing Spinach Salad. I will also cover proper hand washing and hygiene when preparing food. This is especially important when you are preparing food that is prepared cold and served cold, like a salad. The last thing you want to do is get your friends sick.

Dan's Amazing Spinach Salad.

2 bunches of Spinach
1 medium Carrot, Shredded
4 strips of Bacon, Crumbled(Bacos are Evil!)
2 1/4 inch slices of Cure 81 Ham, cut into 1/2 x 1/4 inch pieces
1 stalk of Broccoli
1 ounce Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
1 ounce Parmesan Cheese, Finely Shredded
Salt and Pepper to taste

Happy Cooking, Everyone!

Isolder74
2012-01-04, 12:47 PM
Episodes 9, 10 and 11, Home, At The Range Christmas Special (http://blip.tv/HomeAtTheRange/episode-9-10-and-11-christmas-special-5853800)

My Christmas video is up and in these 3 episodes I cover making Christmas goodies and Turkey dinner with all of the fixings.

Recipes:

Episode 9
Scotties

1 pound of Caramels
4 tbsp Butter
1 tsp Vanilla
4 cups of Rice Krispies

Divinity

1/2 cup water
1/2 cup corn syrup
2 cups sugar
2 egg whites
1/2 cup chopped walnuts/pecans(optional)

English Butter Toffee

1 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp corn syrup
1 cup walnuts or pecans finely chopped
3/4 cup white chocolate chips
3/4 cup chocolate chips

Episode 10
Dan's Turkey Brine

1 2 liter of Sunkist soda
1 cup salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp whole peppercorns
1/2 tsp Boone Spice(see episode one)
1 tsp each Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme
1/4 cup Cider Vinegar
3 pounds of ice
enough water to cover the turkey

Dressing/Stuffing

8 slices of bread, cubed
2 cups chicken broth
2 red pepper, chopped
2 green peppers, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 finely chopped carrot
2 beaten eggs
1 tsp each Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme
1/2 tsp Boone Spice
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp melted butter
1 tbsp olive oil

Episode 11
Pumpkin Pie

2 cups Pumpkin
3/4 cup Sugar
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
1/2 tsp Ground Nutmeg
1 pinch of cloves
3 eggs
1 1/4 cups Evaporated Milk

Nibleswick
2012-01-04, 01:49 PM
Ah goody, more episodes. Hmm, I haven't made divinity for some time, I should remedy that.

Isolder74
2012-02-16, 12:36 PM
Episode 12: Leftovers on Purpose! (http://blip.tv/HomeAtTheRange/episode-12-leftovers-on-purpose-5962531)

In this episode I will cover making your own Frozen Dinners or what I like to call Leftovers on Purpose. The dish I will be using to make these meals will be a classic Chicken Fried Steak and Chicken Fried Chicken dinners. I will also cover making classic Sawmill Gravy. In addition I will be making a Fried Chicken Frozen meal as part of illustrating a point.

Recipes:

Chicken Fried Steak or Chicken Fried Chicken

The Recipe is for 4 portions. Increase as needed.

1 Round Roast cut into 1/2 in slices
or 2 Chicken Breasts Split in half
1 cup Flour
1 cup Bread Crumbs
1 Egg
1 cup Buttermilk
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Pepper
1/2 tsp Boone Spice

Sawmill Gravy

1 cup Milk
4 tbsp Oil
4 tbsp of your breading flour mix
Broth to desired thickness
Salt and Pepper to Taste

Happy Cooking Everyone!

Nibleswick
2012-02-17, 05:01 AM
So, I finally got around to trying your bread recipe from episode four the other week (or as close as I could manage with what I have on hand). I was quite impressed with it.

Also, I quite enjoyed this episode. It inspired me with a good idea for supper tonight.

Isolder74
2012-02-17, 11:04 AM
Did you make it marbled like I did?

Yes my Chicken Fried Steak/chicken breading is really good.

Something I've notice while editing the footage is I'm faster then the camera. All my full speed strikes of the meat look like I'm just pounding the edges. Only when I really slow it down, to the point of it not really doing anything, does the camera capture what I'm actually doing.

Nibleswick
2012-02-17, 07:10 PM
No, I was in a bit of a rush that day. It didn't have quite as many grains as yours did either, it was just what I had on hand.

Isolder74
2012-03-02, 12:07 PM
Episode 13: Punch It Up! (http://blip.tv/HomeAtTheRange/episode-13-punch-it-up-5997352)

This episode is about making yourself some nice fruit punch to go with a great meal. I hope that the 4 punch mixes that I will be showing you will inspire you to experiment on your own. Don't be afraid to try new combinations!

Recipies

Blueberry Blast Punch

1 pound of Frozen Blueberries
1 cup of Sugar
1 cup of Water
1 pinch of salt
1 can of White Grape-Peach Juice
1 32 ounce Bottle of Blueberry Juice
1 liter of 7-Up

Cranberry Delight Punch

1 can of Cranberry Cocktail Concentrate
1 can of White Grape-Peach Concentrate
1 liter of 7-Up

I am a MAN!!! Punch

1 can of Pomegranate-Blueberry Juice concentrate
1 can of White Grape-Peach Concentrate
1 liter of Sunkist Soda

I am a MAN!!! Super Fruity Fruit Punch

1 can of Grape Juice Concentrate
1 can of Apple-Cherry Juice Concentrate
1 can of Limeade Juice Concentrate
1 liter of Sunkist Soda

Happy Cooking Everyone!

Isolder74
2012-04-05, 01:11 PM
Episode 14: From Russia With Love. (http://blip.tv/HomeAtTheRange/episode-14-from-russia-with-love-6068432)

In this episode I will cover making my mother's simple and easy Stroganoff. I will show you how to make a quick and easy Stroganoff sauce using milk and sweet vinegar. I will also cover making the classic fancy version using sour cream. Just to let you know you almost can't tell the difference!

Recipes:

My Mom's Stroganoff

1 pound Ground Round or Cubed Round.
3 cups Milk
2 tbsp Sweet Pickle Juice or Cider Vinegar
1/4 cup Flour
1 clove of Garlic, Minced
1 cup of the water from your potatoes or noodles
1 dash of Boone Spice(my addition)
Salt and Pepper to Taste(White Pepper best)
Dash of Dried Parsley(My brother likes to sprinkle of some chives as well when served)

Fancy Stroganoff

1 pound of Cubed Round
1/2 pound of Diced Mushrooms
2 cups of Sour Cream
1 cup Milk
1/4 flour
1 cup Beef Broth
1 clove of Garlic, Minced
Salt and Pepper to Taste(White Pepper Best)
Dried Parsley to Garnish