PDA

View Full Version : Bags of Holding

Narren
2011-05-28, 03:30 PM
I feel like I should know this, but.....can you place a bag of holding inside a bag of holding? I didn't think you could, but I can't find that written anywhere.

Apophis
2011-05-28, 03:32 PM
It never says you can't. The descriptions just says what happens if you put one into a portable hole.

SuperFerret
2011-05-28, 03:34 PM
I've always thought that any extradimensional spaces interact in that way, and have always played it as such.

NNescio
2011-05-28, 03:36 PM
How do you rule Rope Trick interactions?

(Let's all ignore the FAQ for a moment here for now.)

SuperFerret
2011-05-28, 03:46 PM
How do you rule Rope Trick interactions?

(Let's all ignore the FAQ for a moment here for now.)

I'm guessing that's directed at me, and to be honest, it's never come up. However, if I'm going to be put on the spot, I'd probably allow a portable hole or bag of holding into the extradimensional space created by the Rope Trick, but either wouldn't allow them to be opened inside it or (if feeling particularly cruel) have the BagHole Effect take place if they were opened.

Alternately, the Hole and Bag could resist being brought into the Rope Trick and just fall to the ground below it. Kinda defeats the purpose of hiding in the Rope Trick, but it's a reasonable way around it without completely screwing the PCs.

Or I could just rule that spell trumps item and the Rope Trick spell was designed with an effect that prevents such a disruption. That seems simplest, but not in keeping with the other rulings.

Good question.

Taelas
2011-05-28, 04:13 PM
As far as I am aware, RAW only stipulates what happens when a portable hole interacts with a bag of holding; anything resulting from any other extra-dimensional spaces interacting with another extra-dimensional space is a house rule.

Asheram
2011-05-28, 04:26 PM
I think it was errata'd somewhere. You can indeed place a bag of holding inside another bag of holding, but their storage doesn't stack.

Edit:
Ah yes. Here's (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20051101a) the link

SuperFerret
2011-05-28, 04:28 PM
I think it was errata'd somewhere. You can indeed place a bag of holding inside another bag of holding, but their storage doesn't stack.

So, you can place a Bag inside another Bag as long as the combined storage of the two fits in the second (outer) Bag?

Asheram
2011-05-28, 04:31 PM
So, you can place a Bag inside another Bag as long as the combined storage of the two fits in the second (outer) Bag?

Exactly. :smallsmile:

Hirax
2011-05-28, 04:33 PM
Ah yes. Here's (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20051101a) the link

Ooh, thanks. Being written by Skip Williams, it's hard not to take that as RAW, whether you want to consider it a primary source or errata.

Psyren
2011-05-28, 08:59 PM
Ooh, thanks. Being written by Skip Williams, it's hard not to take that as RAW, whether you want to consider it a primary source or errata.

Especially given that actual RAW says nothing at all.