PDA

View Full Version : Help building epic spell

amazinghat
2011-05-28, 04:59 PM
Epic spell that confers immortality; halts the aging of an individual. Can someone help me build such a spell?

Glimbur
2011-05-28, 05:07 PM
I assumed that you can't do that by the book, but it turns out you can. The Fortify (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/seeds/fortify.htm) seed can be used to increase the maximum age of your current age category by one year. So... 17 base. Cast it in 9 minutes instead of one for DC 0. Cast it every year to increase your current age category maximum by one year. The End.

amazinghat
2011-05-28, 05:10 PM
Thank you, Sir. Didn't see that, and I was trying to find a way to force a certain result of the flux slime using epic spells. Lol. Overthinking things.

NNescio
2011-05-28, 05:12 PM
I assumed that you can't do that by the book, but it turns out you can. The Fortify (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/seeds/fortify.htm) seed can be used to increase the maximum age of your current age category by one year. So... 17 base. Cast it in 9 minutes instead of one for DC 0. Cast it every year to increase your current age category maximum by one year. The End.

That wouldn't work.

Incremental adjustments to a creature’s maximum age do not stack; they overlap.

Still, it's a good catch since an epic wizard can hit any arbitrary Spellcraft DC anyway (primarily with mitigation), so he can just jack up the maximum age increase accordingly.

amazinghat
2011-05-28, 05:15 PM
Incremental adjustments to a creature’s maximum age do not stack; they overlap.

Aha. Out of curiosity, I don't suppose you can think of any way to force a certain result of the flux slime? It's an interesting thought.

Talya
2011-05-28, 05:22 PM
Wouldn't work.

A special use of the fortify seed grants the target a permanent +1 year to its current age category. For each additional +1 year added to the creature’s current age category, increase the Spellcraft DC by +2. Incremental adjustments to a creature’s maximum age do not stack; they overlap. When a spell increases a creature’s current age category, all higher age categories are also adjusted accordingly.

However, the DC is there to keep piling on more years.

+500 years defaults to DC 1015.

You could mitigate that by...
+10 minutes (-20)
+100 days (-200)
20d6 backlash (-20)
personal range (-2)
cost 20,000xp (-200)
=================
At this point, the DC is down to 573. I'm not sure you can get enough ritual participants to do this...

Fable Wright
2011-05-28, 05:38 PM
...You can do this pre-epic. Just PAO into a younger form of yourself. When you get old, PAO again. Or dismiss and PAO. Without spending resources on developing epic spells.

Talya
2011-05-28, 05:41 PM
...You can do this pre-epic. Just PAO into a younger form of yourself. When you get old, PAO again. Or dismiss and PAO. Without spending resources on developing epic spells.

This...would actually work.

NNescio
2011-05-28, 05:44 PM

What happens if the PaO is dispelled?

Talya
2011-05-28, 05:50 PM

Compromise. Build an epic PAO with a duration of "instantaneous."

amazinghat
2011-05-28, 05:50 PM
I must not be familiar with acronyms because I have no idea what PaO is.

Talya
2011-05-28, 05:51 PM
I must not be familiar with acronyms because I have no idea what PaO is.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorphAnyObject.htm

Fable Wright
2011-05-28, 06:16 PM

Then cast it again when you have the chance. You might age a few minutes, but overall it won't detract from your lifetime... or make an epic spell to mimic it with an instantaneous duration, or take a feat/magic item to make it an Ex effect.

TroubleBrewing
2011-05-28, 06:23 PM
Or just be a Warforged. Or a Lich. Or read this nifty guide and find another way. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5996.0)

Squiggles
2011-05-28, 08:53 PM
Ioulaum's Longevity is an epic spell that does just this but with a bit of an evil twist. It's listed in Lost Empires of Faerun pg. 43. It deals 20d6 damage to every target within a 120 ft radius and confers an extra 1 year of life to you for each target slain.

Nothing stops you from just walking into a kobold den or goblin warrens and going haywire though!

NNescio
2011-05-28, 08:59 PM
Ioulaum's Longevity is an epic spell that does just this but with a bit of an evil twist. It's listed in Lost Empires of Faerun pg. 43. It deals 20d6 damage to every target within a 120 ft radius and confers an extra 1 year of life to you for each target slain.

Nothing stops you from just walking into a kobold den or goblin warrens and going haywire though!

Or the ol' Bag o' Rats trick.

Squiggles
2011-05-28, 09:08 PM
Or the ol' Bag o' Rats trick.

Haha, I had to go check what a Bag O' Rats was, that's brilliant

crazyhedgewizrd
2011-05-30, 08:16 PM
Haha, I had to go check what a Bag O' Rats was, that's brilliant

dont forget to dig a pit so the rats dont run off as you are taking them out of the bag.
But wouldnt a market in a large city be better to cast in, more vermin, insects, people, and pets. just for that touch of evil.