PDA

View Full Version : Campaign Setting "Template"

Gnoman
2011-05-28, 05:40 PM
Does there exist a standardized template for writing a campaign setting? In other words, if I wanted to write down the details of my setting and have it look very much like a "standard" setting, organized the same way with the same sort of info, is there a template I could use, or would I have to look at an existing one and set things up manually.

I use pretty much the same setting in every game I run, in different eras with different things going on. Not only would it be nice to have everything written in a convinient manner, a few of my players have expeessed interest in someday running their own games in the setting. This would also make refining it a lot easier.

AslanCross
2011-05-28, 05:45 PM
This is how the Eberron Campaign Setting book is organized:

I. Introduction: What the world is like and what differentiates it from others.
II. Races: Any new races? How do the core races fit in the world?
III. Classes: Any new classes? How do the core classes fit in the world? Are there any alternate rulesets (Psionics, ToB, Incarnum, ToM) that have a major place?
IV. Skills, feats, and other character options unique to your world.
V. Magic: How does magic work? What are the other planes of existence, if any?
VI. Equipment: New equipment that are important in the setting.
VII. Life in the World: Geography, Sociology and History
VIII. Organizations: Power groups, plots, people of interest
IX. A Campaign in Your Setting: What would distinguish it? You can probably omit this.
X. Magic Items. Can probably be combined with V.

Yahzi
2011-05-28, 09:19 PM
Does there exist a standardized template for writing a campaign setting?
I couldn't find one. So I made up my own, and frankly, it's not working too well. Each adventure area just seems too unique to fit into a template.

Check out my stuff at DriveThruRPG to see how it's worked out so far.