PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ideas for an optimized archer/psionic character

Yorae
2011-05-28, 06:58 PM
See title.

I've looked around and haven't found a whole lot in this way - I know psychic warrior could work, and they get bonus fighter feats, but I'm pretty unfamiliar with both archers and psionics.

Any reccomendations for races/feats/classes/PrCs?

I also saw something regarding something crazy involving turning into an arrow demon, but sadly the link to that guide was broken.

Edit: All WotC published materials are allowed, plus whatever from Pathfinder if need be.

erikun
2011-05-28, 08:57 PM
Soulknife/Soulbow (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060403a&page=2) is generally considered not only to be a good version of the Soulknife, but the only good version. A lot of the optimization centers around the fact that Soulbow arrows can be used one-handed, and thus two-weapon fighting with soul arrows. Or better yet, multi-weapon arrow slinging with a Thri-kreen or something similar.

Outside that, here is the 3.5e Archery Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=642.0) to see what you'll want or need to be a good archer.

Psychic Warrior might work well, especially with the Zen Archery feat - it allows you to use WIS rather than DEX for ranged attacks. Ardent (Complete Psionic) is an excellent base class, also being WIS-based with 3/4 BAB but a "full manifester" closer to the Psion. The PsyWar/Ardent divine is a lot less than, say, the difference between a Fighter and melee Cleric, though.

The Psychic Rogue (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b) might also be a good option. It uses INT rather than WIS for manifesting, but Sneak Attack is applied to every iterative and has a few more Dex-boosting powers than the Psychic Warrior. The Lurk (Complete Psionic) is similar, and may actually work out better because Psionic Sneak Attack is not limited to within 30' of the target - you could snipe someone from 1000' away and still gain the full bonus.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-05-28, 09:00 PM
Psychic Warrior might work well, especially with the Zen Archery feat - it allows you to use WIS rather than DEX for ranged attacks.

With zen archery, the wis is in addition to the dex, rather than instead of it.

erikun
2011-05-28, 09:11 PM
With zen archery, the wis is in addition to the dex, rather than instead of it.
I thought the 3.0e version was Wis and Dex, while the 3.5e version was one or the other. Ah well, either way it makes a good addition to Wis-based manifesters.

One other thing you might want to consider: the Tashalatora feat. It is from the Secrets of Sarlona book, and it allows you to stack Monk levels and any one psionic class levels for the purposes of Monk bonuses. Monk 2/Psychic Warrior is fairly popular for getting near-full manifesting along with adding Wisdom to your AC and several other benefits (namely Evasion). You can't flurry with a Longbow, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to add your Wisdom modifier to attack rolls, AC, and PP. :smallsmile:

AslanCross
2011-05-28, 09:56 PM
It might be a good idea to use the Soulbound Weapon (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a) ACF. By choosing a bow as your Soulbound weapon, you basically become a soulbow with psionic powers.

The Pathfinder version of the Psychic Warrior (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/psychic-warrior) also gets more goodies than the standard 3.5 version, and so it seems like a good idea as PF is allowed at your table. The Mind Knight path seems like a good start, then you can take Weaponmaster later on. The Ascetic path gives you an AC boost, so that might be worth looking into as well.

As for races, Kalashtar is the best psionic race, IMO, as they get an extra power point per level no matter what class they take, as opposed to just starting with a couple at lv 1.

Zen Archery is definitely a good feat, but since archery is poorly supported in general, you might have to take mostly psionic feats to boost your mobility so that you don't get cornered. Speed of Thought and Up the Walls come to mind, as does Psionic Meditation for quickly achieving Psionic Focus.

Yorae
2011-05-28, 11:39 PM
It might be a good idea to use the Soulbound Weapon (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a) ACF. By choosing a bow as your Soulbound weapon, you basically become a soulbow with psionic powers.

The Pathfinder version of the Psychic Warrior (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/psychic-warrior) also gets more goodies than the standard 3.5 version, and so it seems like a good idea as PF is allowed at your table. The Mind Knight path seems like a good start, then you can take Weaponmaster later on. The Ascetic path gives you an AC boost, so that might be worth looking into as well.

As for races, Kalashtar is the best psionic race, IMO, as they get an extra power point per level no matter what class they take, as opposed to just starting with a couple at lv 1.

Zen Archery is definitely a good feat, but since archery is poorly supported in general, you might have to take mostly psionic feats to boost your mobility so that you don't get cornered. Speed of Thought and Up the Walls come to mind, as does Psionic Meditation for quickly achieving Psionic Focus.

Wow, Soulbound Weapon looks pretty great! Its better than the soulbow class feature, imo, since the enhancements aren't limited to a list - you could pick Aptitude or Splitting or whatever you wanted. Mind Knight looks pretty nice too, especially since it gives the +1 with the called weapon and keeps growing (and, since it give YOU the bonus and not the weapon, stacks with Soulbound Weapon! Awesome!).

Is there any way to pick up Metamorphosis and somehow turn into an Arrow Demon (it's an outsider, so the race would need to be a native outsider or somesuch, or I'd need to be able to become an outsider somehow)? It might be striving a bit too hard for that, but being able to double your ranged attacks per round is pretty awesome.

Edit: Actually, what type ARE Kalashtar? Techinically, they are a fusion of humanoid and outsider... but I can't actually find a type.

Edit: Just actually looked at Call Weaponry and... hm... 1 round cast time, only 1 min/lvl duration? Ouch. Sounds like I'll have to sit out the first round of every fight. =\

AslanCross
2011-05-29, 12:28 AM
Is there any way to pick up Metamorphosis and somehow turn into an Arrow Demon (it's an outsider, so the race would need to be a native outsider or somesuch, or I'd need to be able to become an outsider somehow)? It might be striving a bit too hard for that, but being able to double your ranged attacks per round is pretty awesome.

I wouldn't know, sounds pretty cheesy to me. D:

Edit: Actually, what type ARE Kalashtar? Techinically, they are a fusion of humanoid and outsider... but I can't actually find a type.

An NPC in Magic of Eberron is listed in his statblock as "Humanoid (human)."

Edit: Just actually looked at Call Weaponry and... hm... 1 round cast time, only 1 min/lvl duration? Ouch. Sounds like I'll have to sit out the first round of every fight. =\

Well, 1 minute is still ten rounds. If you're the group's spotter (PF Psychic Warrior gets Perception as a class skill) you can manifest it before combat and then unleash your barrage long before the opponents can start attacking or your weapon expires.

Yorae
2011-05-29, 12:54 AM
I wouldn't know, sounds pretty cheesy to me. D:

Cheesy? Probably. Awesome? Definitely. It IS a polymorph effect, after all.
I could take the Otherworldly feat from PGtF, I suppose. I think Kalashtar fit the bill there, flavor-wise, so I'm pretty certain the DM would allow it. Archers are already a little stretched for feats, though...

Edit: The Mantled Warrior ACF would enable me to take the Natural World mantle and get access to Metamorphosis, among other things, but it replaces the same bonus feat as Soulbound Weapon. Maybe, as suggested in the Psychic Warrior Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162701), I can replace the first level bonus feat...

I could also take Expanded Knowledge, but then I wouldn't be able to use it until I could take a feat after I could use 5th level powers, which winds up being 4 levels later.

An NPC in Magic of Eberron is listed in his statblock as "Humanoid (human)."

Thanks! Couldn't find any statblocks with Kalashtar in the campaign setting.

Well, 1 minute is still ten rounds. If you're the group's spotter (PF Psychic Warrior gets Perception as a class skill) you can manifest it before combat and then unleash your barrage long before the opponents can start attacking or your weapon expires.
In my experience, in campaigns I've been in combat tends to start suddenly. I guess I could always take Quicken Power and blow the extra power points if I have to.

Edit: Actually, Linked Power from Complete Psionic might be the best way not to waste a turn calling in my weapon - I'd get to manifest an extra pre-chosen power on the next turn by paying the PP cost upfront as I manifested Call Weaponry.

I also stumbled across this, but I'm not sure if it would be worth taking over straight Psychic Warrior: The Ballisteer class http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20030426b

They have fewer powers discovered, BUT they don't actually lose manifester levels, which is interesting

Any opinions?

Yorae
2011-05-29, 05:36 PM
Arg! Just read Psychic Warrior more closely..

Martial Power

At 6th level, if the Psychic warrior makes a melee attack, he can manifest one of his path powers as part of that attack action. The power takes effect immediately after the attack has been finished. Touch range powers are transmitted through the melee attack to the attacked target.

D=

I wonder if there's a feat or something to get a similar effect with ranged attacks....

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-05-29, 05:48 PM
Dip Warblade and get Bloodstorm Blade 4, and you can make thrown weapon attacks as though they were melee attacks, and your thrown weapon returns to your hand instantly so you can full-attack with it.

Soulbow is pretty much the way to go, though. Nonpsionic Thri-Kreen (MM2 and Shining South) LA +1/ Monstrous Humanoid 2/ Soulknife 2/ Monk 1/ Soulbow, get Multiweapon Fighting and the Improved/Greater versions, Zen Archery, and whatever other archery feats you could want.

Yorae
2011-05-29, 06:01 PM
Dip Warblade and get Bloodstorm Blade 4, and you can make thrown weapon attacks as though they were melee attacks, and your thrown weapon returns to your hand instantly so you can full-attack with it.

Soulbow is pretty much the way to go, though. Nonpsionic Thri-Kreen (MM2 and Shining South) LA +1/ Monstrous Humanoid 2/ Soulknife 2/ Monk 1/ Soulbow, get Multiweapon Fighting and the Improved/Greater versions, Zen Archery, and whatever other archery feats you could want.

I can see how the Soulbow would be effective, but I'd rather play a character that actually gets powers.

Stallion
2011-05-29, 06:30 PM
I can see how the Soulbow would be effective, but I'd rather play a character that actually gets powers.

Then don't focus super heavily on soulbow. It'll give you your actual weapon and all, but if you can convince your DM to treat your mind arrows as a natural weapon, then you have the ability to enchant it normally via items. Then, grab the Tashalatora feat and rock that Psychic Warrior. Sure, you won't get full manifesting, but you don't have to have full manifesting with a psy war in order to be effective.

Another idea that can be pretty nice is a single level dip into Shiba Protector out of OA (pg 222), if you can spare the feats (hello psy war bonus feats), and if that source is even allowed.

Melayl
2011-05-29, 09:52 PM
This (http://dsp-d20-srd.wikidot.com/marksman) may be the class you're looking for. They also have pretty darned good variants for other psionic classes, and a Mind Blade feat tree that is pretty extensive (and usable by any psionic class).

Yorae
2011-05-29, 11:19 PM
Arg! Just read Psychic Warrior more closely..

Martial Power

At 6th level, if the Psychic warrior makes a melee attack, he can manifest one of his path powers as part of that attack action. The power takes effect immediately after the attack has been finished. Touch range powers are transmitted through the melee attack to the attacked target.

D=

I wonder if there's a feat or something to get a similar effect with ranged attacks....

So I'm not actually missing out on this THAT much after all... I totally misread that twice, first not realizing that it was melee-only and thinking that I was missing a huge bonus... and also not realizing that it also only applies to path powers, not just any power you have, so I'm not really missing out on a massively powerful ability or anything.

Marksman looks great, but I'd prefer to stick with 1st party material + PF.