PDA

View Full Version : World of Darkness: Revealed [IC]

GilderRyleon
2011-05-28, 09:33 PM
The fluorescent lights drone a single note, never needing to stop for breath as they bathe the white hall in cold light. A little red light blinks on the security camera, but it is nothing compared to the small space portal that sits next to it.

Through the portal you can feel its owners gaze scan you. Not trusting for a second that you would not dream of trying anything to escape.
The guards are not concerned with you. They are confident they can handle any one of you, and rightly so. With equipment and training supplied by Task Force Valkyrie, and sheer willpower you feel these men could take you down in seconds.

There is no clock on the wall. No windows in the cells. Time drags on until the near silence is maddening. The guards even lose some of their vigilance from the boredom of the white holding cells.

In the back of your mind you can feel something ringing.

Aron Times
2011-05-29, 04:31 AM
Edit: Victor's Beast recoils at the sight of the more powerful vampire, but he is able to keep it under control, avoiding Rotschreck.

"Gentlemen," Victor Gardener says to the guards, trying to engage in idle conversation as he tries to regain his composure. It had been awful being denied social contact, as the Ventrue are master conversationalists who would quickly get bored at not having anyone to talk to. Just another terrible side effect of the Unmasqued World. "What is that sound?"

Yuki Akuma
2011-05-29, 06:16 AM
The lab-coated girl - who is on the outside of the cells, shockingly enough - gazes up at the portal next to the camera quizically. "Mmmh... I wonder if it's two-way..." She's trying to ignore the ringing.

Wargor
2011-05-29, 07:37 AM
"Well, it would seem we are about to be sold. How very American." Erik drawls, his soft German accent just detectable. He stretches his arms wide, his eyes closed as he enjoys the feeling of having a little space for once. "How exciting."

GilderRyleon
2011-05-30, 10:01 PM
The door leading out of the facility opens allowing two people to walk in. One is a small elderly woman, with long graying hair and glasses. She looks like she should be running a library. She is wearing a tan wool sweater and a maroon sun dress, also befitting of a librarian.

For XiaoYou recognize her as your boss, Alchrone, the manager of the facility.

The second person is a tall man, probably in his late thirties. His head is clear of any hair and his face is chiseled from granite. "These are the specimen?" He asks, voice smooth and hard as marble.

"Yes" says the woman. Her voice is so soft it could be drowned out by a pin drop.

He glances in each cage, moving from Victor's, to Stephen's, then frowning at Erik's. "Two vampires, no werewolf?"

"We only have one in containment at the time and we need her for our own tests. You understand."

"Of course." He looks at Xiao, assessing her. "You must be the genius. Alchrone has high hopes for you." He gestures at the librarian woman. "But she tells me you fight the wrong fight. I've asked her to let my boys take you on a proper hunt one day, show you first hand why we must detain these creature, but she keeps refusing." He shrugs. Your boss is too stubborn. Not that it's a bad thing. It keeps this place running." He leaves the hall.

You can barely hear Alchrone inform Xiao that he is John Sheen, the President of Cherion Pharmaceuticals, a company that researches and dissects Cryptids for medicine.

Wargor
2011-05-31, 06:45 AM
"I remember a night when the men in charge of companies were the brains, not the brawn. A pity that this has come to pass. I wonder which bit of us they'll cut out first." Erik lets out a chuckle, turning to the others. "Erik Roth, pleased to meet you. Just because we're about to be dissected doesn't mean we can't be polite."

GFawkes
2011-05-31, 12:32 PM
"Well you may be dissected, but I'm planning a little fun for our captors." Steven smiles, a twinkle in him showing through. "I'd better get prepared, though."

Aiming to Harvest Glamour from the emotion of the guards. Allowing the ST to determine what skill is needed.

Aron Times
2011-05-31, 06:35 PM
"Victor Gardener, a Ventrue of the Carthian Movement, at your service." He makes a formal bow.

GilderRyleon
2011-06-01, 09:47 PM
"I know who you are." The woman whispers at her natural volume. "I am Alchrone, the manger of this facility, and I do not wish for your service. It is Mr. Sheen that wants you, for science. You understand"

She gives you all a warm smile, then puts a hand on Xiao's shoulder. "Mr. Sheen like to conduct business in private, but I think he will make an exception for you dear. I want you to remain here when he comes back. Maybe you will learn something." She squeezes Xiao's shoulder like a mother supporting their child at a soccer game.

Aron Times
2011-06-02, 05:55 AM
"Funny how mortals are much bigger monsters than the actual monsters themselves." He places his hands on his hips and fakes a sigh. "But I was introducing myself to my fellow captives. Not to you, my dear."

Wargor
2011-06-02, 05:56 AM
Erik lets out a harsh laugh before speaking, a sneer on his lips. "How touching, she gets to enjoy our dismemberment, and learn from it too! God bless the American education system."

Yuki Akuma
2011-06-02, 05:57 AM
Xiao seems to flinch a little bit as her shoulder is touched and then squeezed. As the vampire talks about mortals being worse monsters than the 'monsters', she winces a little bit. "It's not the mortals who are the problem... Mostly..."

GilderRyleon
2011-06-02, 09:03 AM
["But I was introducing myself to my fellow captives. Not to you, my dear."

Alchrone actually seems quite embarrassed about this mistake.

Aron Times
2011-06-02, 08:24 PM
"You know, I've never killed anyone before. Mortal or cryptid. Is your conscience as clear as mine, lady?"

GilderRyleon
2011-06-03, 10:07 AM
"It is. I have never killed anyone, and I keep people from being killed."

The door opens. John Sheen returns with a stool which he places against the wall opposite the cells. He tells the guards to leave and they do, then he turns to Alchrone."I do my business in private and have to ask you to leave."

"Of course. Though I wish for Xiao to stay here. Is that okay?" Alchrone raises an eyebrow.

Mr. Sheen smiles."You're finally letting me teach her what she needs to know. Of course she can stay."

Alchrone leaves the hall.

Mr. Sheen points to the portal that has been sitting by the camera. "Close it." He demands. The portal snaps shut.

"That's better." He sits on the stool. "By now that dotty old lady will be trying to divine our talk, but it's not going to work." He taps chest, above his heart. "Banality worm. Only given to my most valuable employees."

"I come from Cherion Pharmaceuticals. As I am sure you know, we're a group that specializes in cryptological based medicines. My name is John Sheen, I own the company."

Yuki Akuma
2011-06-03, 10:12 AM
Xiao turns to regard the speaking vampire with an attempt at a blank expression. "Ordering people killed isn't the same as killing them yourself, after all." In many ways, it's worse, but she's not about to say that out loud.

As Mr. Sheen enters, she tilts her head slightly. As the portal snaps off, she adjusts her stance to be much more casual. "Banality... worm? Do I want to know what that is?" She shakes her head a bit. "I know who you are, John Sheen."

Wargor
2011-06-03, 10:37 AM
"And you want to cut us up." Erik states flatly, all humour gone from his voice. "Not the first time I've seen experiments performed on prisoners in camps."

Aron Times
2011-06-03, 08:48 PM
Fascinating. You Cheiron folk make the Kindred look like saints. I mean, an alien parasite implanted on Dear Leader's chest? You would prefer the term, "symbiote," but that thing is even more of a parasite than me.

Wargor
2011-06-03, 08:56 PM
"We might drink blood, but at least we can be civil about it! Most of the time..." Erik trails off with a smirk.

GilderRyleon
2011-06-06, 09:35 AM
Mr. Sheen lets out a laugh. "Cut you up? Ha! You assume too much. It is true that we use cryptids in our medical research, but that does not mean I want to cut you up. No, I actually have an offer for you.

"You will work for me. You will hunt other cryptids and bring them in for research. Your pay will be your freedom."

He sits up tall as he can on the stool.

"Think about it. This is your chance to show how good you really are. You will protect humanity in trade for your freedom."

Aron Times
2011-06-06, 01:33 PM
"Shall I tell you a story about Vichy France? Of how many were sacrificed so the Beast would not devour those who complied? And it was for a good cause, too! Something about purifying the gene pool for the benefit of mankind."

Wargor
2011-06-06, 02:48 PM
"Back in my day we had people like you Mr Sheen. They would experiment on jews, for they were less than people in their eyes. As they were in my eyes also. But times have changed, and those men were wrong. I'm no ones butcher. Not any more." Erik spits at the man, staring him straight in the eye.

Yuki Akuma
2011-06-06, 02:59 PM
"I think that may be a no, John Sheen," Xiao deadpans. She's keeping her expression as straight as she can - but she seems to agree with the vampires.

GFawkes
2011-06-06, 06:37 PM
Steven just sits back, enjoying the emotions flying around.

Must...resist...urge....the Emperor.....young Skywalker.....

Empathy roll to absorb emotion from Sheen. I can only harvest emotional Glamour from humans, and he's the only one around. The emotion in question I'm aiming for is pride. He seems pretty full of himself.

Prescence+Empathy-Untrained-ST rulings

GilderRyleon
2011-06-07, 12:25 PM
Mr. Sheen stands up."I'll give you time to think about it, I have to finish signing for you. If you decide to work for me that will be fine. If not." He shrugs. "Either way you will still be serving the human race."

Mr. Sheen leaves the room. The guards to not come back in. Leaving you alone together.

The ringing is rapidly growing stronger.

Yuki Akuma
2011-06-07, 12:26 PM
Xiao hmms a little bit. "Welp..." She glances up at the security camera, wondering if she can reach it without having to stand on something...

GFawkes
2011-06-08, 11:58 AM
"So, anyone else need help with an escape plan, or will you be fine?" Steven asks, cracking his knuckles and generally loosening his body.

Yuki Akuma
2011-06-08, 01:42 PM
Xiao hmmms, and walks over to the security camera. "You know, a lot of people tend to think that Geniuses and Mages are really the same thing. Each has power over reality, of course, but... there's one thing that I think disproves that notion."

She reaches the security camera, and her hand flashes up. Her hand grasps the security camera - and with a horrific sound of wrenching metal, she rips it off the wall and throws it to the ground, where it smashes into pieces.

"Mages? Can't do that," she says with a grin, as white light crackles along her hand and dances in her eyes.

She twirls around to face the cells. "So! I have a proposition for you. I help you guys break out, and you help me save the world. You in?"

Mania: 3/5(10)
Willpower: 3/4

Aron Times
2011-06-08, 03:03 PM
"Is this a test? Why would you turn on the Magocracy and help us irredeemably monstrous abominations? Why should I trust you?"

Yuki Akuma
2011-06-08, 03:07 PM
The girl hmmms, tapping her chin. "Why turn my back on the madmen who cut up and perform experiments on innocent mostly-human people and try to stop the extinction of beings who'll actually be helpful when the planet is swallowed by the Abyss? Hmm, that's a good question," she deadpans.

Aron Times
2011-06-08, 03:15 PM
"I dare you to look me in the eye and tell me what you're really up to?" Victor crossed his fingers behind his back. If and when Xiao looks him in the eye, Victor will ask, You will tell me, truthfully, what you are trying to accomplish.

Intelligence + Expression + Dominate vs. Resolve + Supernatural Stat
[roll0]

Yuki Akuma
2011-06-08, 03:18 PM
Xiao looks Joseph directly in the eye - and doesn't even attempt to fight off the command. You know what they say about eyes being windows to the soul? In Xiao's case, that's perfectly true - and that soul is insane. Madness sparkles in her eyes...

"Save the world. I already said that, didn't I?"

Wargor
2011-06-08, 03:42 PM
"And what do you propose we do once we escape from this facility? Save the world sounds a little...fantastical." Erik deadpans, ignoring the other supernatural things surrounding him.

Yuki Akuma
2011-06-08, 03:47 PM
Xiao crosses her arms. "There is an event. I don't know exactly when it's going to happen. It's... ancient history where I come from. But it's going to happen within the next few years, I think. I need help to determine exactly what, when and where. All I know is that some city is going to explode, it'll be blamed on Cryptids... And then I think abuse of magic to eradicate the Cryptids causes the Abyss to bleed over into the world, and, well." She grimaces. "I don't know exactly what happens after the event, either, but I know it's the root cause."

GFawkes
2011-06-08, 03:55 PM
"These sanguiphagen may need help escaping, but I'll be fine." Steven remarks, slipping through the bars.

Aron Times
2011-06-08, 04:35 PM
Victor felt a bit disturbed by the girl's... manic enthusiasm. And the rest call the Ventrue insane!

"Oh what the hell... I'm in. I have a bone to pick with the ironically fascist regime that has hijacked this great country."

Yuki Akuma
2011-06-08, 04:40 PM
Xiao actually claps her hands. "Great! Okay so we probably don't have long, since I kinda destroyed the security camera and they can see that..." She walks over the Joseph's cell, and hmms. "I'm really burning through Mania here. I might need one of you guys to give me a boost later."

She fixes her eyes on the lock on Joseph's cell. Her hand flashes out again, gripping at the lock, finding weaknesses...

Once again using my 'dismantle technology' innate power.

4 successes.

Mania: 2/5(10)
Willpower: 2/4

GilderRyleon
2011-06-08, 05:03 PM
As you begin your escape you hear footsteps in the hall, quickly moving for you.

You feel several eyes look on you from above, but looking up shows there is nothing there.

The ringing is growing stronger still, making it hard to concentrate.

Make a resolve+composure roll before acting again. If you fail you can not do anything but try and get the piercing noise out of your head, and must roll again for your next action. Success means you are able to push the ringing to the back of your mind for the time being.

Wargor
2011-06-08, 05:34 PM
Erik stands there, the noise piercing into his brain, stopping him from even thinking. Gritting his teeth he falls to one knee, his hands going to his temples, trying to push it out and away, trying to even function.

GFawkes
2011-06-08, 06:50 PM
Steven easily slips through the bars and pushes the ringing in his head away. "See, miss? I don't need help to escape. I'll be just fine." he smiles, brushing lightly against Xiao.

Yuki Akuma
2011-06-08, 06:53 PM
"Uh-huh. Good luck with that," Xiao says, as she ignores the ringing sensation and attempts to bust the lock on the other vampire's cell.

Once again, dismantling technology!

3 successes. That lock be busted.

Mania: 0/5(10)
Willpower: 1/4

GilderRyleon
2011-06-09, 06:00 PM
The doors open and a guard enters on each side.

Their guns are raised, ready to fire.

Aron Times
2011-06-09, 09:54 PM
Victor walks forward and looks one of the guards in the eye. "You," he points to the other guard. "Drop your weapon and restrain him until I tell you otherwise."

Intelligence + Expression + Dominate + WP
[roll0]

GilderRyleon
2011-06-10, 09:52 AM
The dominated guard lets his weapon hang by his side and charges for the second guard.

The second guard does not notice, he aims his rifle at Stephen, who is out of his cell. He gets off a quick burst before the first guard gets a hold of him.

Stephen feels a terrible stinging pain as several bullets rip through his arm.

Wargor
2011-06-10, 12:15 PM
Erik surges to his feet, pushing the sound to the back of his mind. Striding forward he swings his cell open, before surveying the guards then looking to Victor. "See if you can't get him to hand over his weapon to me?"

Aron Times
2011-06-10, 12:50 PM
Didn't they bother to tell these guys not to make eye contact with vampires? This is too easy.

Victor issues a command to the restrained guard. "When your companion releases you, you will take off your armor and give it to me along with your weapons and ammunition. Afterwards, go home and take the next week off from work."

Dominate 2 vs. Resolve
[roll0] = 4 Successes!

And to the one holding him, "Release him, then take off your armor and give it to me along with your weapons and ammunition. Afterwards, go home and take the next week off from work."

Dominate 2 vs. Resolve
[roll1] = 2 Successes!

GilderRyleon
2011-06-10, 03:13 PM
Both guards do exactly as Joseph says, seemingly glad to get a week off.

They each give him a Kevlar vest, a 9mm glock, with a standard clip in the gun, as well as a clip of silver bullets, and a clip of iron bullets, and a small SMG with two extra clips.

They leave the room through the door that Mr. Sheen left through.

You are once again alone, for now.

Yuki Akuma
2011-06-10, 03:20 PM
Xiao relaxes her stands - she looked like she was about to attempt to kick someone's ass just now. She gives Victor a wry grin. "...Useful."

And then she notices the injured Changeling. She eeps, rushing to his side!

Aron Times
2011-06-10, 03:38 PM
Victor turns to his companions. "I feel sorry for those two, as they're going to lose their jobs, but at least they get a second chance at life." He offers the weapons and armor to his comrades, taking one pistol for himself. "I don't think the next guards we meet will be stupid enough to get within sight range. I'd rather we escape quietly, but if we have to fight, then so be it."

GFawkes
2011-06-10, 06:20 PM
"Don't worry. Escaping quietly is my specialty. Just stay close and don't speak." Steven says, clutching his bleeding arm.

Yuki Akuma
2011-06-11, 07:19 AM
Xiao takes a look at that arm, and cringes. "Here, hold still for a second..." She rolls up her sleeves, tapping her fingertips together in a specific pattern, and then claps twice! Each movement gives a soft 'tink' sound as the metallic plates on her gloves' fingers and palms contact each other. She then promptly grabs Steven's arm, and a soft hum can be heard...

Using my last point of Mania to activate my Cellular Regeneration Gloves. And... failing.

Well shoot. Xiao takes 1 bashing.

Xiao peers, and shakes her hands. "Okay, that... that should have worked... Maybe your biology isn't quite as compatible..." She rubs the side of her head. "And now I'm out of Mania..."

She turns to Victor. "Hey! Do you think I could borrow some of your blood? I swear I'll give it back. I have this unique mutation that lets me convert any sort of supernatural power into Mania and back again, you see..."

Aron Times
2011-06-11, 10:15 AM
"Mutation? Mania? Blood? What in the world are you talking about? Are you asking for a Vinculum?"

Yuki Akuma
2011-06-11, 10:19 AM
Xiao crosses her arms over her chest! "All supernatural beings - Werewolves, CHangelings, Vampires, Mages, Geniuses, whatever- use a special form of supernatural power to power their... supernatural powers." She looks down for a moment, then back up. "Mages use a sort of magical energy called Mana, which falls from the heavens. Werewolves use Essence, which is spiritual power drawn from locations where spirits can enter reality. Vampires use... Vitae, the power of blood."

"Geniuses like myself use an energy called Mania, which is... hard to explain. It's a sort of mental, psychic energy that occurs naturally, but usually not in high enough quantities to do any good. Part of being a Genius is producing a lot of Mania... but it takes time that we don't have. So I need some other sort of supernatural power to convert into Mania."

She nods her head. And hopes that made sense! It's hard to talk about things she knows without skipping things she sees as 'obvious' and others see as 'high level theoretical physics'.

"...Basically I'm asking you to cut your wrist and let me drink some of the supernaturally-infused blood so I can use its power. You can drink my blood in return if you want..." She rubs the back of her head. "That sounds far worse than it did in my head..."

Aron Times
2011-06-11, 11:45 AM
"For some insane reason, I feel like complying. You will give me a better explanation later. For now, partake of my blood to fuel your magicks." Victor bites his left wrist and offers it to Xiao. He wills the vitae to flow, feeding the girl a portion of his lifeforce.

Yuki Akuma
2011-06-11, 11:48 AM
"I have that effect on people," Xiao says, and then cringes as she's fed blood. Ewww. But once Victor is finished, her eyes are glowing - red at first, and then swiftly changes to a pure white, before they fade back to normal again. She shudders. "Okay. That's... I don't know how vampires do it, really." She looks down at her gloves. "Okay, you work this time..."

So how much Vitae are you giving me?

Aron Times
2011-06-11, 06:26 PM
Up to three vitae, so at most Victor will be down to four (three vitae = hungry).

Yuki Akuma
2011-06-11, 07:41 PM
Xiao taps her fingers and palms together in the same pattern as before, then places her hands on Stephen's arm again. "Work this time, damnit..."

Spending 1 mania to activate the gloves, and 1 willpower because my dice pool sucks.

That puts me at 3 Mania and 0 Willpower...

No successes. ****.

As nothing further happens, Xiao glares at her gloves. "..Okay these things are useless. I'll patch you up later."

Wargor
2011-06-12, 07:08 AM
Erik grabs the second pistol, as well as the clips of ammo. "Does anyone want the smg or the vest? Or shall I take it as well? Now we had better move fast, I'm hungry."

GFawkes
2011-06-12, 12:15 PM
"I'll take the vest. I've got an idea to get us out of here." Steven says, putting the vest on.

Yuki Akuma
2011-06-12, 12:17 PM
Xiao produces a pistol from her inside coat pocket, twirling it around on her finger. "Can you believe they let me walk in here with this thing?" She grins.

Wargor
2011-06-12, 05:42 PM
"I'll take the SMG as well then." He picks it up along with the ammunition, before turning to the girl. "Lead the way then my dear."

GilderRyleon
2011-06-12, 10:01 PM
There are shouts in the facility coming from the door that leads back to the courtyard and inner facility. From what you can hear they sound panicked.

The ringing is no longer alone. With it you can now hear the heavy sound of rushing air. It sounds like a low flying jet and is still getting louder.

GFawkes
2011-06-13, 11:26 AM
"Showtime." Steven says, focusing slightly. In a moment, he's taken the semblance of the guard whose vest he's wearing.

Using Skinmask to copy the appearance of the guard. Since I have a possession of his, I don't need to pay glamour.

Aron Times
2011-06-18, 01:02 PM
"Well, new friends of mine, I'd rather not wait and find out what that ringing sound is. Let's get out of here now!" He turns to Xiao. "Lead the way, young lady. I assume you know the way out of here?"

Yuki Akuma
2011-06-18, 01:03 PM
Xiao slams her fist into her opposite palm. "I know it better than you do!" And out she heads, retracing her steps!

GFawkes
2011-06-18, 04:20 PM
"I'll escort our 'prisoners' out, Miss Xiao." Steven says, grabbing an arm of each vampire.

GilderRyleon
2011-06-19, 05:28 PM
You step out the door into a small waiting hall with only a few hard benches.

Through the small hall is the door.

As soon as you open the door the sound of rushing air that is accompanying the ringing grows much louder. Looking up will reveal a normal sky for dusk, with the exception of a bright object, like a shooting star, descending from above, leaving contrail of fire and fog.

Once you are able to take your eyes away from the object in the sky you find you are in a small courtyard where visitors might wait on a nice day. It is surrounded by high walls but a heavy, rusted, barred gate looks out on Boston Harbor. If you try to move the gate you find that it won't budge, despite having no visible lock. a closer look reveals there are no hinges either.

A worn dirt path leads to a door that Xaio knows as the door that leads to the main visitor reception area of the facility.