PDA

View Full Version : Help with familiars.

Ruinix
2011-05-28, 10:39 PM
so i have a batman wizard build made with beguiler 1 / wizard 4 / UM 8. I take the feats Obtain Familiar and Improved Familiar and choose a "Beguiler" magical beast as familiar, he is in the book Shining South page 60.

The beguiler magical beast has true sight 24/7 on, do i get that ability while he is in close range to me ?

Cog
2011-05-28, 11:15 PM
Nope, no more than a raven familiar grants you the ability to fly all day.

Jack_Simth
2011-05-28, 11:25 PM
The beguiler magical beast has true sight 24/7 on, do i get that ability while he is in close range to me ?
No... but with the Obtain Familiar feat, the familiar's abilities are based on your caster level, not your Wizard/Sorcerer level - which means while you don't get True Seeing, your familiar can simply tell you (speak with familiar - might be heard, but won't be understood) who, what, and more importantly where is disguised / hidden magically, and then you can cast the appropriate counterspell accordingly (whether that's casting True Sight yourself, Glitterdust so everyone can see, or whatever). And the familiar can talk, out of turn, as a free action.

So no, you don't get True Seeing... but it's still really, really useful.

Ruinix
2011-05-29, 12:21 AM
ok. thx guys :D

Greenish
2011-05-29, 07:13 AM
No... but with the Obtain Familiar feat, the familiar's abilities are based on your caster level, not your Wizard/Sorcerer level - which means while you don't get True Seeing, your familiar can simply tell you (speak with familiar - might be heard, but won't be understood) who, what, and more importantly where is disguised / hidden magically, and then you can cast the appropriate counterspell accordingly (whether that's casting True Sight yourself, Glitterdust so everyone can see, or whatever). And the familiar can talk, out of turn, as a free action.Of course, beguiler could talk with you normally, since they speak Common. If you don't want enemies to understand what it's saying, learn to speak Beguiler yourself. :smalltongue:

Jack_Simth
2011-05-29, 09:20 AM
Of course, beguiler could talk with you normally, since they speak Common. If you don't want enemies to understand what it's saying, learn to speak Beguiler yourself. :smalltongue:
Ah, but Beguiler is an actual language, which they may have learned. Speak With Familiar is, by definition, understood by nobody but the master & familiar.