PDA

View Full Version : Questions for the Rules

Garetek
2011-05-29, 12:18 PM
Can an Aasimar be affected by lycanthrope?

They are humanoids, but outsiders.

Not sure how this works and just doing it for a really odd character npc if its possible.

Amnestic
2011-05-29, 12:20 PM
They're Outsider (Natives), so normal Aasimar cannot be lycanthropes.

Lesser Aasimar (PGtF) however are Humanoid (Planetouched) and thus can be lycanthropes.

Garetek
2011-05-29, 12:26 PM
Oi, to much math to do all the adjusments to get what I want to do.

Idea was an Aasimar who was bit at a young age, while adventuring as a fighter.

Years pass as he learns and controls his changes to an extent and then goes to church and trains as a paladin as he gains more and more control over his shifting.

A noble, but tortured soul trying to save others while being afflicted himself.

Amnestic
2011-05-29, 12:32 PM
You might want to look at the Savage Progression (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a) levels (more articles at the bottom). Same end result as the template, but you can use it to simulate his step-by-step progression.

Pigkappa
2011-05-29, 12:42 PM
Oi, to much math to do all the adjusments to get what I want to do.

Idea was an Aasimar who was bit at a young age, while adventuring as a fighter.

Years pass as he learns and controls his changes to an extent and then goes to church and trains as a paladin as he gains more and more control over his shifting.

A noble, but tortured soul trying to save others while being afflicted himself.

If he was bit by an evil kind of animal (e.g. a wolf), he's surely evil by now. Whenever you transform into a wolf because you were dealt damage, you have to pass a DC15 Will check or become permanently CE.

Garetek
2011-05-29, 04:20 PM
If he was bit by an evil kind of animal (e.g. a wolf), he's surely evil by now. Whenever you transform into a wolf because you were dealt damage, you have to pass a DC15 Will check or become permanently CE.

So I see. DC15+x where x is the number of times he has assumed his animal form. To many things to keep track off. Will just keep him as an outsider. Or a cured werewolf who is now atoning for his actions by being a paladin.

Oh well idea was kinda cool.

KillianHawkeye
2011-05-29, 07:48 PM
Can an Aasimar be affected by lycanthrope?

They are humanoids, but outsiders.

Not sure how this works and just doing it for a really odd character npc if its possible.

Note that there is a difference between having a humanoid shape and being the Humanoid type. Many creatures--including Outsiders, Giants, Monstrous Humanoids, Fey, Aberrations, Undead, Constructs, and the occaisional Plant and Elemental--have two legs, two arms and a head.

Irreverent Fool
2011-05-30, 02:21 AM
If it's an NPC, do it anyway. The DM is there to make exceptions to the rules and to make the world engaging.

Curmudgeon
2011-05-30, 10:02 AM
If it's an NPC, do it anyway. The DM is there to make exceptions to the rules and to make the world engaging.
I wouldn't go there. That's just going to lead to players asking if their next character can have the same exceptions. After all, the DM is there to make the world engaging for the players, right? :smallsigh:

Divide by Zero
2011-05-30, 09:21 PM
I usually just ignore the lycanthrope alignment rules, especially for PCs where forcing them to change their character's alignment is stupid.