PDA

View Full Version : What's the closest computer/video game that has come closest to D&D?

randomhero00
2011-05-29, 03:22 PM
I'd have to say the original neverwinter nights IMO.

Pigkappa
2011-05-29, 03:27 PM
What do you mean by "closest"?

I played neverwinter nights 2 and its rules are similar to D&D ones. But your options are extremely more limited than they are in D&D, and most quests can only be solved in one way; for example, you can sneak past a lot of enemies, but that way you gain no XP at all and you'll soon die because your level is too low.

Some other games (e.g. Arcanum) has a different ruleset but they allow you much more freedom and are much more adherent to what D&D should be like. You can even kill any NPC, even the most important ones, and extract information from their corpses by torturing their souls if you are a necromancer!

Aricandor
2011-05-29, 03:57 PM
Temple of Elemental Evil is a the closest (and buggiest) conversion of proper turn-based 3.5 turned into a computer game that I've found.

some guy
2011-05-29, 04:21 PM
In a pnp rpg, almost everything is possible. Computer or video games will never have that amount of freedom.

Having said that, I really like how much you can explore in Baldur's Gate 1. It has a great "screw the plot, I'm going over here" feeling.

Whammydill
2011-05-30, 09:38 AM
I wish I could remember exactly, but the old Gold-box games I got started on I believe were pretty accurate. The original Neverwinter Nights was an online game on AOL and maybe other systems. I think it was based on the goldbox game system.

Tengu_temp
2011-05-30, 09:44 AM
NWN runs on simplified DND 3.0 rules, and you can actually play it online with a DM. NWN2 is similar, but it's much more clunky for both players and DMs.

Why are you asking this question anyway?

dsmiles
2011-05-30, 09:45 AM
Depends. How far back am I allowed to go?

I'm inclined to say Baldur's Gate (2e ruleset).

MickJay
2011-05-30, 12:07 PM
Dark Sun games deserve a mention, they were really good for their time (despite the second game's bugs).

bansidhe
2011-05-30, 12:23 PM
NWN1,s still big.if you get the diamond or platinum editions and update it,there are HUNDREDS! of online worlds too choose from!

In lots of catagoreys,hack and slash,roleplay etc

The roleplay ones,my favourite,range from lite rp too very heavy and run the gamut of worlds,from greyhawk,FR,Dragonlance too Darksun.

Most have 6-7 people playing at one time,some of the most popular have 70+,nearly 24 hrs a day!

You will also have too download some haks[custom files] and CEP is a good idea[big custom file used by a lot] and for added classes PRC which is amazingly small for its utility and adds lots of non-base classes,races and feats.[You should see what my Pixie Warlock can do! :D]

so for about 7-8 pounds its still a winner in my book,and you actually get RP on it,which sadly WOW etc dont seem too have.

Im a minor DM on 4 of them,all on the same server,not sure if its allowed too post the link ,so PM me if you would like more info :)

Also for a quick look ,just check out NWNwiki,that shuld give you a good idea of the extent the game has moved from its original.

Salbazier
2011-05-30, 12:26 PM
People still play NWN? Wow. Maybe I should get one, after all... Wonder if its still possible to get one.

Warlawk
2011-05-30, 01:52 PM
I would have to go with the really oldschool goldbox games. The only one coming to mind off the top of my head is Pool of Radiance. By modern standards they would be absolutely awful to the point I wouldn't even recommend looking into them, but they were very true to the source material (1e I think, maybe 2E but I think it was earlier than that).

As people have said NWN with the diamond pack or whatever so you have NWN, SoU and HotU are still an active community and pretty close to 3e in functionality. The Players Consortium Resource (I think I got the name right) added literally hundreds of classes, PRCs and races to the game. It's a little clunky to get going and work right. You have to use a character creator outside the game to make PRC characters and that just makes things a little awkward to get used to, but it has a lot of amazing things in it including newer material like tome of battle, truenamers etc.

bansidhe
2011-05-30, 02:11 PM
Yep,thousands of us,:)

And google it,you can download it for,afaik,about 7 dollars,us.lost my link sorry.

Seriously,with the add-ons of shaders etc it looks like a brand new game..and ,all importantly it DOES do Roleplay!..unlike,sadly many MMO,s nowadays.

Hell,theres even ,[in roleplay section],World of Darkness,Naruto,Diabolo and several other Anime,s Ive never heard of/hombrew worlds.

With the right haks,you can play zombie survival,modern and even Firefly!..though the latter sadly needs a DM online too play ,at least,last time i checked.

Also ,these worlds usually have there own website,and access too tons of lore,builds,stories etc...all free too play,only internet access required...for 7 bucks...or maybe you can find it in the bargain bin!,for one of my players £3.00 was the only thing they paid.

Ok,I have gone on enough,sorry its my only access too any games atm,and I love it! :D

Gavinfoxx
2011-05-30, 02:13 PM
Temple of Elemental Evil. That beats out Neverwinter Nights (both 1 AND 2, and 1 WITH the PRC!).

AND YES, I have played all three! AND Baldur's Gate. AND Icewind Dale. AND Planescape Torment.

Just make sure you get the various fan patches and fan expansions! They GREATLY decrease bugs and increase options and plot and such!!

My *favorite* D&D game was Planescape Torment, though. But ToEE feels the closest to the rules.

Jjeinn-tae
2011-05-30, 02:15 PM
Close, its the Player Resource Consortium (http://www.nwnprc.com/news.php). Been playing through a patch of Temple of Elemental Evil with a Warforged "Brawler" with that one. Great fun.

Neverwinter Nights is a great game, but really, you need to look at the player created stuff, there are some amazing things there.

Gavinfoxx
2011-05-30, 02:19 PM
I've played NWN with the PRC, and I consider ToEE better (ideally if you have the fan patches and expansions, so it's an apples to apples). Sure, you don't have the many many class options and such that PRC adds, but the *core tactical gameplay* is leagues better for the D&D feel. You can charge and threatening works great and the game just works best with a turn based rather than a real time with a pause.

Tengu_temp
2011-05-30, 02:57 PM
I'm sure ToEE is better than single player NWN, because almost everything is. However, the strength of NWN lies in two things - player-made content and adventures, and multiplayer gameplay. And the latter brings it as close to a tabletop RPG as possible for a video game.

Gavinfoxx
2011-05-30, 03:49 PM
I have ALSO played some REALLY NICE custom made single player modules that were PRC compliant... and while those allowed lots of the OPTIONS of D&D stuff, you simply can NOT beat the fact that the Neverwinter Nights *engine* doesn't feel like D&D (ie, a tactical turn based miniatures game).

FYI, I loved some of those modules almost as much as I loved Planescape Torment. But I have not found anything that gets past the "Neverwinter Nights Engine" issues, which ToEE doesn't have.

Xefas
2011-05-30, 04:01 PM
Knights of the Chalice (http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/) is a pretty fun, free, 2d turn-based 3.5e tactics game.

dsmiles
2011-05-30, 04:02 PM
(ie, a tactical turn based miniatures game).
Really? DnD has never felt that way to me. I've always felt that it was a roleplaying game. To each his (or her) own. :smallwink:

bansidhe
2011-05-30, 04:14 PM
Ok,last post of the night,..as several people said above,im not talking about single player,pause if you want or maybe save game NWN1..oh no...

Im talking multiplayer,RP based,realtime gaming...you said it,well live with the consoquences[sp?]

You did it ,ditto..."oh you wiped out that goblin village ,huh?....Hmm we used too trade with them..they were friendlys" and so on.

Not multiple choice,reload if ness....your char has a life..it effects others and those around you...be the best you can be.

Night all :)

Kurald Galain
2011-05-30, 04:18 PM
My vote goes to Planescape Torment. First because it is awesome. Second because I tend to run campaigns that focus on roleplaying instead of combat, and this is one of the few computer RPGs that matches that. And third, did I mention that it's awesome?

dsmiles
2011-05-30, 04:19 PM
And third, did I mention that it's awesome?No, but I'll take care of that for you. Planescape: Torment is AWESOME!

That is all.

Eldan
2011-05-30, 04:47 PM
It is, at the very least, the only game I can remember where the evil options felt both more evil and more realistic than the usual "save puppy, take reward - eat puppy, burn reward" options.

Anxe
2011-05-30, 06:03 PM
The KOTOR Star Wars games used D&D 3.X rules for the Star Wars universe. I thought those were pretty good. The only actual D&D video game I've played is Temple of Elemental Evil which is pretty awful due to bugs.

Bobikus
2011-05-30, 07:40 PM
ToEE in terms of matching mechanics

Baldur's Gate in your ability to go explore instead of staying in the areas the plot takes you to

Planescape: Torment in terms of non-combat roleplaying and having multiple ways of going through each quest and conversation.

For what it's worth, I think Planescape: Torment is the best overall game mentioned in this topic (and imo the best RPG ever).

Lemonus
2011-05-30, 07:59 PM
Dungeons and Dragons Online is a lot like D&D 3.5, but with Mana Points.