PDA

View Full Version : Divine Abilities: Supernatural?

Alleran
2011-05-29, 11:01 PM
Okay. Salient divine abilities. Very powerful, very nasty. Also out of the reach of players... for the most part.

Would any of them count as supernatural, though?

I understand that they function normally in antimagic fields, so from that perspective, they can't be supernatural abilities (unless they have a specific exception). However, Dungeon Magazine #135 statted out Kyuss (a rank 1 demigod). Among the various things he has, they also statted out his remote sensing, remote communication, and divine blast abilities (plus some other stuff). All three of these in particular are given as (Su) abilities. They're obviously his SDAs and divine powers, but they're marked as supernatural.

So how would you treat them? As supernatural abilities that function normally in an antimagic field (they have no exception listed, for the record)? As a misprint? Or as a special case for Kyuss alone?

Also, how would you go about stealing those abilities, if the prospect came up? I can only think of Illithid Savant (brain munching, assuming you can get to his "brain" if he has one) and Manipulate Form (obviously). The Black Elfstone artifact won't work unless you can shut down his immunity to energy drain (which I'm not really sure how you'd go about doing). I don't think there are any other ways of doing it besides those three, but if there are then do tell.

olentu
2011-05-29, 11:13 PM
There are as I recall some abilities that are listed as being supernatural and so presumably the ones that are not listed as such are not but it has been some time since I have read through that book in detail.

NNescio
2011-05-29, 11:18 PM
Okay. Salient divine abilities. Very powerful, very nasty. Also out of the reach of players... for the most part.

Would any of them count as supernatural, though?

I understand that they function normally in antimagic fields, so from that perspective, they can't be supernatural abilities (unless they have a specific exception). However, Dungeon Magazine #135 statted out Kyuss (a rank 1 demigod). Among the various things he has, they also statted out his remote sensing, remote communication, and divine blast abilities (plus some other stuff). All three of these in particular are given as (Su) abilities. They're obviously his SDAs and divine powers, but they're marked as supernatural.

So how would you treat them? As supernatural abilities that function normally in an antimagic field (they have no exception listed, for the record)? As a misprint? Or as a special case for Kyuss alone?

Also, how would you go about stealing those abilities, if the prospect came up? I can only think of Illithid Savant (brain munching, assuming you can get to his "brain" if he has one) and Manipulate Form (obviously). The Black Elfstone artifact won't work unless you can shut down his immunity to energy drain (which I'm not really sure how you'd go about doing). I don't think there are any other ways of doing it besides those three, but if there are then do tell.

Cast Ice Assassin with some way to ignore the material components (e.g. as a spell-like). Then order the assassin to make you his proxy.

Gullintanni
2011-05-30, 01:36 PM
I believe SDAs constitute their own class of ability. Alter Size and a handful of others are specifically earmarked as "Supernatural Abilities", but in general these aren't Ex., Su., or Natural, they're just SDA...except where otherwise noted. And they're never subject to Anti-Magic or Spell Resistance.