PDA

View Full Version : Legends of Anglerre - A Few Newbie Questions

Freylorn
2011-05-29, 11:43 PM
So for a change of pace, my group and I are giving Legends of Anglerre a try. It's our first time using the FATE system, and to be honest we're quite taken with it. That said, I have a few rules questions about LoA, and can't seem to find any FAQs. So I figured I'd turn to the world's best place for information!

1) How does starting equipment work? Under "Starting Equipment (page 20)" it says that you can take up to one piece of relevant equipment for each aspect you have. The example given would be that a "Dashing Knight of Anglerre" would probably start with his chain armour, long sword, and maybe a horse. But then in Equipment (page 46,) it states that "During character creation you can choose one piece of equipment of Mediocre (+0) cost for every aspect and stunt that you have." Note that none of the aforementioned items are Mediocre, and require an unlikely Resources roll in order to obtain. So which is it?

2) The Weapon of Destiny stunt in Melee Weapons (page 98) states that the weapon gained "has the Craftsmanship improvement, giving it a +1 bonus; plus one other improvement selected using the guidelines on page 141." Does this refer to the General Enhancement (Craftsmanship) option under Magic Weapons? If so, can it be selected more than once, to make the weapon (for example) a +2 Longsword? And if so, can the item be further improved later on?

3) Does the Weapon of Destiny stunt dodge the Starting Equipment rules? For example, would one be able to select a Longsword as one's Weapon of Destiny? It's not Mediocre price, and it's on the Restricted Items list (which the character in question does not have) but I believe the weapon itself avoids those by being granted specifically by the stunt. Is that correct?

4) Assume a character has a Melee Weapons rank of 3, a War Shield (-1 bonus, with Shield Training taken) and the aforementioned +2 Longsword. If said character is attacked in melee, the bonus (not including the die rolls) would be Melee Weapons 3 + Shield 1 + Longsword 2 = +6 to the die roll. Yes? Just making sure I have the rules straight here.

Kiero
2011-05-30, 04:44 AM
So for a change of pace, my group and I are giving Legends of Anglerre a try. It's our first time using the FATE system, and to be honest we're quite taken with it. That said, I have a few rules questions about LoA, and can't seem to find any FAQs. So I figured I'd turn to the world's best place for information!

Given how few people there are posting on here who have likely even heard of LoA, you're probably better going directly to the Cubicle 7 forum (http://cubicle7.clicdev.com/f/index.php?trk=cubicle7&showforum=27). You'll get a lot more joy there.

1) How does starting equipment work? Under "Starting Equipment (page 20)" it says that you can take up to one piece of relevant equipment for each aspect you have. The example given would be that a "Dashing Knight of Anglerre" would probably start with his chain armour, long sword, and maybe a horse. But then in Equipment (page 46,) it states that "During character creation you can choose one piece of equipment of Mediocre (+0) cost for every aspect and stunt that you have." Note that none of the aforementioned items are Mediocre, and require an unlikely Resources roll in order to obtain. So which is it?

It's both. You get starting equipment as per your Aspects/Stunts, plus as much Mediocre stuff for those left, and then roll for anythign else.

Or as I prefer, ignore those rules and just give people what makes sense based on their concept and the premise of the game, Aspects/Stunts and Resources. A character with high Resources should have much more leeway to simply have a load of stuff than a character with low Resources.

2) The Weapon of Destiny stunt in Melee Weapons (page 98) states that the weapon gained "has the Craftsmanship improvement, giving it a +1 bonus; plus one other improvement selected using the guidelines on page 141." Does this refer to the General Enhancement (Craftsmanship) option under Magic Weapons? If so, can it be selected more than once, to make the weapon (for example) a +2 Longsword? And if so, can the item be further improved later on?

You can only take Weapon of Destiny once for any particular weapon. If you take it again, then it must be a different weapon.

Something to bear in mind, and this applies to all Skills, a +1 in LoA is a big deal. A really big deal, because the results centre around 0 (bell curve), they aren't linear like in D20.

3) Does the Weapon of Destiny stunt dodge the Starting Equipment rules? For example, would one be able to select a Longsword as one's Weapon of Destiny? It's not Mediocre price, and it's on the Restricted Items list (which the character in question does not have) but I believe the weapon itself avoids those by being granted specifically by the stunt. Is that correct?

If someone's gone to the trouble of paying for something with a Stunt and Aspect, they should be given it. Yes, taking the Stunt avoids any other restrictions, it's a pretty expensive way to get around them if you think it's some sort of exploit.

As for the Restricted Items list, see discussion here (http://cubicle7.clicdev.com/f/index.php?trk=cubicle7&showtopic=1493). Most people (rightly, IMO) simply ignore that Stunt and the whole concept as more bother than it's worth.

4) Assume a character has a Melee Weapons rank of 3, a War Shield (-1 bonus, with Shield Training taken) and the aforementioned +2 Longsword. If said character is attacked in melee, the bonus (not including the die rolls) would be Melee Weapons 3 + Shield 1 + Longsword 2 = +6 to the die roll. Yes? Just making sure I have the rules straight here.

As above, they shouldn't have a +2 Longsword, but yes they would add 6 to the roll.

Freylorn
2011-05-30, 04:59 AM
I was pretty much banking on your reply specifically, Kiero. And I thank you for it! :smallbiggrin:

In regards to the +2 Longsword, it was in reference to Weapon of Destiny specifically. It gives you an item with Craftsmanship and 1 other option. I was merely asking if you could opt for that Craftsmanship bonus a second time, for a total of a +2 instead of +1.

Kiero
2011-05-30, 05:17 AM
I was pretty much banking on your reply specifically, Kiero. And I thank you for it! :smallbiggrin:

In regards to the +2 Longsword, it was in reference to Weapon of Destiny specifically. It gives you an item with Craftsmanship and 1 other option. I was merely asking if you could opt for that Craftsmanship bonus a second time, for a total of a +2 instead of +1.

To be honest, I haven't read the Craftsmanship rules very closely, but as a GM that's the sort of thing I'd prevent because of its distorting effects. You get a +1 for free, you can't get another one for free as well.