PDA

View Full Version : Overcoming Death

Garthstus
2011-05-30, 12:05 AM
I have a level 5 druid per standard Pathfinder books. In a recent game our DM thought it would be enjoyable if we had a visit from the divine entity of Death who proceeded to quest us with getting through a generic dungeon as a test of our power. There wasn't a reason. I assume it was a 'getting back into the game' dungeon after our 2 month break. In character we all finally made it through with just barely becoming the 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse, leave, and live to tell about it with very poor opinions of Death. I even managed to take Death's horse Blinky. Not the pale horse he rides for his station, just the 'other' horse when he's not on duty. Still a magical horse we're told, just not similar to the pale horse.

But why I am posting here is, My druid was killed twice in the dungeon and now holds a burning desire to preserve his life to the point of Death having no power to take his life from him again. What would be a druid way of preserving his life, soul intact, that would essentially grant immortality. I consider godhood a way, but not a likely one. I had an idea of using the horcrux idea from Harry Potter only with trees or the like. Any other ideas would gladly be considered.

Homebrewed world of my creation
Pathfinder system
I'm Co-GMing it with another where we're playing a split personality Dwarf.

TechnOkami
2011-05-30, 02:52 AM
Somehow fuse your life to the life and existence of nature to not only become a super druid but say: Hey, there's still living things, can't kill me lololololol.

Don't even know if that's possible. It might be easier to become a god, but that's my two cents.

Zale
2011-05-30, 08:11 AM
It may be easier to become a god?

I think there's some monk Prc that removes the maximum age limit. :smallconfused:

Nanoblack
2011-05-30, 08:13 AM
There was a death-themed druid prestige class homebrewed on these forums that connects the character with a graveyard. The capstone was something along the lines of "you cant be permanently killed as long as part of your graveyard exists" as well as turning you into some kind of zombie plant monster.

Zale
2011-05-30, 08:34 AM
.. I just had the mental image of some motivational speaker talking to a group of undead. "Remember, Together we can help you overcome your undeath! :smallbiggrin:"

Then the zombies eat his brain.

Garthstus
2011-05-30, 10:19 AM
Perhaps we should come up with some kind of PrC of our own? The single goal wouldn't necessarily be immortality, just REALLY long life and immunity to the figure of Death, or maybe death effects? Not sure that undeath is part of it, but what about a living lich type with ties to nature?

brujon
2011-05-30, 12:38 PM
Why not a permanent reincarnation effect? Something on the lines that your druid is permanently tied into the loop of life and death, when he dies, he is simply born anew. Only in a different body. But, he retains all class levels, no penalties to XP, all his memories, etc... It's like you've become a part of nature, a force of nature, if you'd like. He cannot leave this loop, even if he somehow wanted to, and even if dead from old age, just borns again!

Carecalmo
2011-05-30, 02:16 PM
Why not a permanent reincarnation effect? Something on the lines that your druid is permanently tied into the loop of life and death, when he dies, he is simply born anew. Only in a different body. But, he retains all class levels, no penalties to XP, all his memories, etc... It's like you've become a part of nature, a force of nature, if you'd like. He cannot leave this loop, even if he somehow wanted to, and even if dead from old age, just borns again!

Part of the deal could also be that every time he's lived past his original maximum age or dies a particularly traumatic death, he loses a point of wisdom (there's wisdom in Pathfinder, right?) as his sanity is slowly being eroded by flowing in and out of the circle of life and death.
It probably wouldn't have a huge effect on the game itself, but it might be.. comforting to know that going against the way of nature has its consequences.

A thousand years from now, he'll be reborn a gibbering wreck with great power over the natural world, an ability shapeshift from birth and quite possibly a druidic cult dedicated to identifying each of his incarnations and imprisoning them deep in the roots of the mountains.