PDA

View Full Version : Video card help

BudgetDM
2011-05-30, 01:48 AM
I'm having a little issue and I'm hoping someone can help me out with this. My problem is my video card. I downloaded Portal 2 off of Steam yesterday, started it up and got an error. I went on their troubleshooting site, did everything it said. Same error. Googled it on the internet, followed what they said. Same error. Well, it was a cheap video card and I've been meaning to replace it. However, is there any way for me to know that this new video card will work? Or has someone managed to fix a "Failed to Create D3D Device" in a way other that prescribed by Steam support?

P.S. I think this is the right forum.

ZombyWoof
2011-05-30, 01:51 AM
Try dropping DirectX back a rollover and reinstall. I know that the guys over at freeallegiance.org have found a few fixes for that but can't remember them off the top of my head.

EDIT: also, gewgle is ur friend.

Erloas
2011-05-31, 09:25 AM
I'm not sure I know what it is you are asking. It sounds like you have a cheap, probably old, video card now that does meet the minimum requirements for the game.
The system requirements for Portal 2 are fairly low, and the only video card requirements are DX9.0c, which has been out since 2004, and 128MB of RAM, which has been fairly standard for about as long. (checking and Portal 1 still has the option for DX8 support)

If your system is that old then there is a very good chance you can't (practically) upgrade the system. If its newer then that then there is probably some other sort of problem. Not actually having any information about your system its hard to really say much.

First step would be to run DXDiag (built into windows, just type that into the run bar), check for any problems, and you can test Direct3D on the display tab there too. Export all information and paste here the system information and display information sections, and that will give some information to work with.

BudgetDM
2011-05-31, 03:16 PM
I'm not sure I know what it is you are asking.

Which is way I shouldn't post when I'm tired. I managed to work this out on my own. Thanks for the advice anyway.