PDA

View Full Version : assume supernatural ability

samster712
2011-05-30, 01:48 AM
Hey I'm a new druid and I was wondering what type of Wildshapes could take advantage of this very cool feat? I don't know of very many forms that have supernatural abilities that could be used. Is it a feat that is only really useful with Planar Shepherd?
Thanks,
Sam

mabriss lethe
2011-05-30, 01:55 AM
It's also *very* useful if you've got access to Aberrant Wildshape from Lords of Madness. There are many aberrations that have very neat abilities

Godskook
2011-05-30, 02:00 AM
1.Yes, useful, but also game shattering. Using that ability for anything more than the most basic of abilities is entering into the domain of Pun-Pun, and you're pretty much shattering your DM's game into tiny tiny pieces.

2.In before Sarukh

Big Fau
2011-05-30, 02:16 AM
2.In before Sarukh

It takes Epic levels to be able to Wildshape into the Sarukh unless you use Bloodlines.

samster712
2011-05-30, 02:16 AM
1.Yes, useful, but also game shattering. Using that ability for anything more than the most basic of abilities is entering into the domain of Pun-Pun, and you're pretty much shattering your DM's game into tiny tiny pieces.

2.In before Sarukh

well obviously when combined with Planar Shepherd it is devastating (I mean 3 free wishes or a 20th lvl cleric or any host of things...who wouldn't think thats unfair)

But BESIDES game shattering with Planar Shepherd (lets just say we aren't in Eberron)...is there any other times that this feat is useful. Examples would be helpful!

Big Fau
2011-05-30, 02:21 AM
well obviously when combined with Planar Shepherd it is devastating (I mean 3 free wishes or a 20th lvl cleric or any host of things...who wouldn't think thats unfair)

But BESIDES game shattering with Planar Shepherd (lets just say we aren't in Eberron)...is there any other times that this feat is useful. Examples would be helpful!

Aberrant really is the best one. Dragonic Wildshape all ready gives their primary SU ability (Breath Weapon, most of the other abilities are SLAs).

If there were an Outsider Wild Shape, you could find more useful abilities.

samster712
2011-05-30, 02:41 AM
Aberrant really is the best one. Dragonic Wildshape all ready gives their primary SU ability (Breath Weapon, most of the other abilities are SLAs).

If there were an Outsider Wild Shape, you could find more useful abilities.

out of curiosity what are some of the more powerful aberrants?

Godskook
2011-05-30, 02:47 AM
It takes Epic levels to be able to Wildshape into the Sarukh unless you use Bloodlines.

1.Didn't think the 'wildshape' restriction was nearly as important as "what can this feat do" question was.

2.Funny, I can do it at level 14, and without Divine Minion.

Planar Shepherd is immaterial to my point, and so is Eberron as a whole. The Sarrukh trick works with just that feat, MoMF, 14 HD of wildshaping, and a companion who counts as a 'scaled one'.

For another bad choice, see Beholder's Eye Stalks.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-05-30, 05:45 AM
Nymph (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/nymph.htm) is a strong choice. Charisma bonus to saves and deflection to AC, and Fort save or be Stunned for 2d4 rounds.

Lots of undead have Energy Drain (to stack negative levels) as a Su ability

Pyro/Cryo Hydras are pretty darn spiffy as well, all those breath weapons...

Spider Eater (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/spiderEater.htm) gets flight and Freedom of Movement free.

Blink Dog's Blink and DimDoor abilities are also (Su)...

Big Fau
2011-05-30, 06:00 AM

I seem to have been incorrect on the Sarrukh's minimum HD. Do note that even if you Wildshape into one, you still can't use Manipulate Form on yourself: Only on another Scaled One native to Toril. Quite a limitation, considering it requires the target to be both Reptilian and native to a specific location (the latter being a trait I believe to be beyond the capabilities of polymorph effects).

mabriss lethe
2011-05-30, 12:46 PM
I seem to have been incorrect on the Sarrukh's minimum HD. Do note that even if you Wildshape into one, you still can't use Manipulate Form on yourself: Only on another Scaled One native to Toril. Quite a limitation, considering it requires the target to be both Reptilian and native to a specific location (the latter being a trait I believe to be beyond the capabilities of polymorph effects).

I think the idea is to have an animal companion who counts as a scaled one, grant *it* a Sarrukh's own Manipulate form, and then play patty-cake with it until you hit some arbitrary point where you're satisfied with the new toys you're packing.

But I'm only vaguely familiar with the whole Sarrukh thing, so who knows.

Mordokai
2011-05-30, 01:14 PM
Sea hag and her evil eye can be, pardon the pun, deadly. Especially if you slap it on the creature with high charisma, such as succubus. Two saves to be made and each one that fails pretty much spells death for the affected creature. Sure, it's three times per day limit, but still extremely potent.

samster712
2011-05-31, 08:41 PM
1.Didn't think the 'wildshape' restriction was nearly as important as "what can this feat do" question was.

Planar Shepherd is immaterial to my point, and so is Eberron as a whole. The Sarrukh trick works with just that feat, MoMF, 14 HD of wildshaping, and a companion who counts as a 'scaled one'.

For another bad choice, see Beholder's Eye Stalks.

except what about the whole "can only wildshape into things you are familiar with"...if sarrukh aren't in your universe (as in most universes) how can you be familiar with it...and I was wrong, Sarrukh are in forgotten realms XD

Alleran
2011-06-01, 04:16 AM
except what about the whole "can only wildshape into things you are familiar with"...if sarrukh aren't in your universe (as in most universes) how can you be familiar with it...and I was wrong, Sarrukh are in forgotten realms XD
Considering that they're getting towards being an extinct Creator Race, on the other hand, I'd be surprised if you knew enough about them to be "familiar" for the purposes of wildshaping, though. Especially at low levels.

Feytalist
2011-06-01, 04:23 AM
I think the idea is to have an animal companion who counts as a scaled one, grant *it* a Sarrukh's own Manipulate form, and then play patty-cake with it until you hit some arbitrary point where you're satisfied with the new toys you're packing.

But I'm only vaguely familiar with the whole Sarrukh thing, so who knows.

That's part of the point of Pun-Pun. Can also be done with Kobolds, strangely enough.

What about the classic beholder as wild-shapable?