PDA

View Full Version : Pointers for a high-level NPC legion commander

ILM
2011-05-30, 06:14 AM
I'm trying to build the above, non-evil (he's one of the good guys) commander. The problem I have is that I can't seem to find anything in the books that's properly large-scale.

I need someone who is a solid leader and buffer of armies. I'd also like him to be able to hold his own in melee combat (what with being a front-line leader). Now I have plenty of tactical-range (within 30 ft, max 100-ish mooks if they're packed shoulder to shoulder around him) options to buff allies: Bardic music optimization, Marshal, Dragon Shaman, even War Weaver. However, I can't find anything that can provide buffs to an entire army. Is there anything that's like range: 1 mile, or applies to all allies in the army, or maybe all within earshot (and then you can Shout and stuff to extend it)?

I've leafed through Heroes of Battle and didn't find anything large-scale enough (but maybe I missed it). I dislike most of the commander-rating related abilities - the commander rating itself seems redundant with Leadership, in fact, and the abilities are both a) short-ranged, and b) lame. A character with a commander rating of 5 (out of 7) can give a whopping +2 morale bonus to all allies within 30 ft on attacks against enemies that moved at least 5 ft. Be still my heart.

So, is there any way of making that character concept work?

Gurgeh
2011-05-30, 06:28 AM
I don't suppose you could make him improve the performance of his troops by simply making him highly intelligent and a gifted tactician?

You don't need to have a direct game-mechanical solution for every single problem.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-05-30, 06:30 AM
There's a Bard spell in SpC that increases range of bard songs...

Also, look up War Chanter. Song of Legion. It's made of Win. And it's got double the range of normal bardic music.

ILM
2011-05-30, 06:33 AM
I don't suppose you could make him improve the performance of his troops by simply making him highly intelligent and a gifted tactician?

You don't need to have a direct game-mechanical solution for every single problem.
Is there anything stopping me from doing both?

Seharvepernfan
2011-05-30, 06:50 AM
Be still my heart.

I just want you to know, I laughed at this.

and its "my beating heart."

Greenish
2011-05-30, 07:25 AM
IC/DFI optimization + Alphorn (Song & Silence). Affect all allies in 1d10 miles radius.

ILM
2011-05-30, 07:53 AM
IC/DFI optimization + Alphorn (Song & Silence). Affect all allies in 1d10 miles radius.
Haha, OK that's pretty epic, but the alphorn doesn't really seem appropriate for a front-line buffer, unfortunately. Bit cumbersome :smalltongue:. Although I'm pretty sure I remember a spell that let an instrument play itself without your needing to hold it...

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-05-30, 08:10 AM
Haha, OK that's pretty epic, but the alphorn doesn't really seem appropriate for a front-line buffer, unfortunately. Bit cumbersome :smalltongue:. Although I'm pretty sure I remember a spell that let an instrument play itself without your needing to hold it...

Animate Instrument. SpC.

ILM
2011-05-30, 08:43 AM
Animate Instrument. SpC.
Right. And IIRC that requires concentration, but that's what Sonorous Hum is for... Amusing. :smallsmile:

JKTrickster
2011-05-30, 09:06 AM
Are you open to homebrew? Cause the Azure Champion (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9782873&postcount=22) is what you're looking for. Best class for this type of thing ever.

ILM
2011-05-30, 09:15 AM
Are you open to homebrew? Cause the Azure Champion (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9782873&postcount=22) is what you're looking for. Best class for this type of thing ever.
Sorry, no. I try to keep to official 3.5, with exceptions allowed for RoF and UE. No Dragon Mag unless republished in Dragon Comp.

Side quest: is there any way to increase the numbers of followers you get from Leadership that is neither Epic nor race-specific?

Greenish
2011-05-30, 01:46 PM
Side quest: is there any way to increase the numbers of followers you get from Leadership that is neither Epic nor race-specific?Extra Followers, Heroes of Battle page 97.

Talentless
2011-05-30, 02:03 PM
A modified Battle Herald from Pathfinder is an option, their Prestige Class is built to handle that kind of job really. But it is also Pathfinder, which means some extra work to make sure it is backwards compatible.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-05-30, 02:45 PM
Dragon Magazine 309 has war spells, basically larger, 1 minute casting time versions of normal spells designed to hit entire armies. Other options include bards with an Admiral's Bicorn to affect everyone with his orations within 100 ft. Or War Weaver to buff INT score soldiers with personal buffs for great power.

Coidzor
2011-05-30, 03:08 PM
This is the most I've found about leadership mechanics (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3065.0) in D&D 3.5 so far.

War drums and alphorns have an even bigger area of effect than admirals' bicorns for Bardic Music, and cheaper too.

Gavinfoxx
2011-05-30, 03:12 PM
I second the link that Coidzor said! Cloistered Cleric, Bard, or Archivist.