PDA

View Full Version : Spriitjaws help

fencepainter
2011-05-30, 11:16 AM
There are some peculiarities with this spell that I could use some help with.

Take this language from the spell: "The spiritjaws use your base attack bonus (possibly allowing it multiple attacks per round in subsequent rounds) + your Wis modifier as its attack bonus." What does this mean? I understand that when making the attack, the caster uses his/her wisdom modifier instead of whatever he/she would ordinarily use. But what's that business about multiple attacks?

Also, does that Wis modifier replace the Strength modifier in the grappling aspects of the spell as well?

Is it possible to use the Spiritjaws to attack an object, like a door or a chest?

Thanks.

Cog
2011-05-30, 11:24 AM
But what's that business about multiple attacks?
Grapple checks allow for iterative attacks.

Also, does that Wis modifier replace the Strength modifier in the grappling aspects of the spell as well?
Grappling is all the spell does, so yes. It simply does additional things while grappling.

Is it possible to use the Spiritjaws to attack an object, like a door or a chest?
Inanimate objects cannot be grappled, so no.

fencepainter
2011-05-30, 11:45 AM
Grapple checks allow for iterative attacks. So, in practice, what does that mean. Does it mean that the spiritjaws get to try to grapple multiple times (and that you'd stop once they successfully grappled) or that you once grappled, you could try for additional grapples so spiritjaws can do more 2d6 damage or something else.

Grappling is all the spell does, so yes. It simply does additional things while grappling. That wasn't how I read the spell. It says, in part, "If an initial attack hits, the spiritjaws deal 2d6 points of damage and attempt to start a grapple as a free action. The jaws’ bonus on grapple checks is equal to their attack bonus + 4. Once the opponent is grappled, the jaws deal 2d6 points of damage with each subsequent grapple check." So it also does some damage, albeit minimal. This quote also relates to my question immediately above.

Inanimate objects cannot be grappled, so no. True, but they can be damaged, no?

Thanks for helping me think through this.

Cog
2011-05-30, 11:52 AM
So, in practice, what does that mean. Does it mean that the spiritjaws get to try to grapple multiple times (and that you'd stop once they successfully grappled) or that you once grappled, you could try for additional grapples so spiritjaws can do more 2d6 damage or something else.
It means both. You have a set number of grapple attempts per round, which can be divided between attempts to start grappling and attempts to deal damage as normal.

That wasn't how I read the spell. It says, in part, "If an initial attack hits, the spiritjaws deal 2d6 points of damage and attempt to start a grapple as a free action. The jaws’ bonus on grapple checks is equal to their attack bonus + 4. Once the opponent is grappled, the jaws deal 2d6 points of damage with each subsequent grapple check." So it also does some damage, albeit minimal. This quote also relates to my question immediately above.

This spell creates a set of powerful jaws of force. The jaws attempt to grapple the designated opponent...
The "initial attack" in your quote refers to the attack made to initiate the grapple.

True, but they can be damaged, no?
Not by grapple checks, as objects are not valid targets for grapple attempts.

Thanks for helping me think through this.
No problem!

fencepainter
2011-05-30, 12:02 PM
That helps. Thanks a bunch.