PDA

View Full Version : Linked Power Synchronicity

Elric VIII
2011-05-30, 02:03 PM
Does this get you free actions?

For Example, assume a 8th level Nomad Psion with Psychic Meditation:

Round 1:
-Standard action: Manifest Psionic Fly linked to Synchronicity (not augmented).

-Move action: Fly up 30ft.

Round 2:
-Linked power resolves and you ready an action to manifest a power after you regain psionic focus.
-Standard Action: Manifest a Power.
-Move Action: regain focus.
-Readied action happens.

Sinfonian
2011-05-30, 03:06 PM
Edit: Idiocy was here.

Elric VIII
2011-05-30, 03:10 PM
Synchronicity specifically says that it does not cost you an action to ready the action.

Kalaska'Agathas
2011-05-30, 03:15 PM
Yes, Linked Power Synchronicity does effectively get you extra actions. It forms the basis of several tricks in the (shameless plug) Psionic Tricks Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?board=22.0) (Including the Mad Minute, Garryl's Casual Disconcern for the Action Economy, and others - also available in GitP form via the link in my sig).

Elric VIII
2011-05-30, 03:20 PM
Yes, Linked Power Synchronicity does effectively get you extra actions. It forms the basis of several tricks in the (shameless plug) Psionic Tricks Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?board=22.0) (Including the Mad Minute, Garryl's Casual Disconcern for the Action Economy, and others - also available in GitP form via the link in my sig).

Thanks, and I always thought that the only psionic action economy abuse stemmed from Hustle, Psychic Meditation, and metapsionics.

Kalaska'Agathas
2011-05-30, 03:33 PM
Thanks, and I always thought that the only psionic action economy abuse stemmed from Hustle, Psychic Meditation, and metapsionics.

Well, Synchronicity abuses work best once you have Affinity Field up. Have your fission manifest Synchronicity (augmented) and it gives you both a standard action. Your fission manifests it again with their standard action, etc. etc. This (combined with your method of choice for regaining power points) means you can effectively get infinite standard actions (I believe this is the Psionic Dreadnought trick).

Elric VIII
2011-05-30, 06:06 PM
So, I looked at the thread in your sig, that has some mean things to do to a DM. :amused:

Kalaska'Agathas
2011-05-30, 09:43 PM
So, I looked at the thread in your sig, that has some mean things to do to a DM. :amused:

Yeah, there's some real fun tricks that Psionics have which are (fairly) unique to that subsystem. Now I've just got to get back to it, and actually write the handbook. Once real life settles a bit, I think.

Elric VIII
2011-05-30, 10:09 PM
Don't you hate when real life interferes with D&D?

Well, I appreciate the help and it's quite useful as is.

Psyren
2011-05-31, 08:28 AM

1) You probably meant Psionic Meditation - Psychic Meditation (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040827b) is a different feat entirely.

2) No, psionics has way more action economy abusing tricks than that. You haven't even mentioned Schism, Fission, Anticipatory Strike or Temporal Acceleration yet. :smalltongue:

Darth Stabber
2011-05-31, 09:21 AM
A Psion//Factotum rips the action economy's pant down and spanks it with moon rocks, especially once incarnum feats and spell-to-power variants come to play (I add factotum because it patches a few spots up, gives skills, adds int to everything, and consumes no PP, gestalt is fun like that). The speed of light is a mere suggestion.

@lvl 15+ you should be able to run around the planet twice, have a filling meal at family style restaraunt with slow service, and still resolve an entire encounter inside of 6 seconds.

Elric VIII
2011-05-31, 01:18 PM
You are correct, I did mean Psionic Meditation.

I took a bit of time looking at psionics for a character that I wanted to play, but that fell through, so now that I'm runing a campaign I can finally use psionics.

Also, Factotum is an amazing gestalt secondary since most builds benefit from at least a little Int.

Adrunkpotato5
2017-12-31, 08:57 PM
call me dumb if this doesn't work but...
twinned repeat syncronicity linked to a syncronicity?
may have used the wrong metapsionic feat there for repeating

also Persistent? you have a whole day to fire off this power

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-01-01, 11:32 AM
If you take the feat Metapower (Linked Power + synchronicity), not only can you use synchronicity as either power (primary or secondary), but you gain an effectively extra +1 pp to augment the second power with.

For instance, you can manifest either Linked (synchronicity + astral construct) to gain an extra standard action this round and manifest a construct next round as a non-action, or you could manifest Linked (grip of iron + synchronicity) right before your turn to gain an extra standard action as an immediate action (from your previous turn, not your current one). Either way, the cost is reduced by 2 pp, one of which is used up via synchronicity, gaining you an extra pp in cost reduction to use however you want for that manifestation.

[edit] Oh. This thread is from back in 2011.

@Adrunkpotato5, please don't necro threads from this far back. You can and will get into a lot of trouble for it.

martixy
2018-01-01, 11:59 AM
Bad potato... go home, you're drunk.

Otherwise twinned works, but it's a high-level trick and a PP sink.
Persistent doesn't work because of the wording of the power.