PDA

View Full Version : Fractional BAB??

Melayl
2011-05-30, 02:48 PM
I've seen fractional BAB mentioned several times in threads regarding multiclassing, but I've never seen it explained. I was wondering if anybody could explain this (presumably simple) process to me, or show me where to find a description/explanation of it.

Thanks.

Zaq
2011-05-30, 02:51 PM
It's from Unearthed Arcana. Give me a minute and I'll see if I can find it on the SRD.

EDIT: I must be looking in the wrong place, because I can't find it on the SRD. It's on pg. 73 of Unearthed Arcana, though. Basically, it means that multiclass characters don't have crazy high saves and stupidly low BAB. For example, without fractional BAB/saves, a Wizard 1 / Sorcerer 1 (don't ask why you'd take that class combo) would have BAB 0 and Will +4. With them, the same character would have BAB 1 (form having 2 levels in BAB 1/2 classes: 1/2 + 1/2 = 1) and Will 3 (the same as you normally would from having 2 levels in a class with good Will). You only get the +2 from having good saves once, but you add all the fractional pieces of your BAB and your saves together to get a much more reasonable whole.

Cog
2011-05-30, 02:53 PM
Each class progresses your BAB by a certain fraction; .5 for classes like Wizard, .75 for ones like Rogue, and 1.0 for ones like Fighter. At each level, add that number to your BAB total, and for the purposes of attack round down to the next whole number.

For example, a Cleric 3 Wizard 2 Fighter 3 would have 2.25 + 1 + 3 = 6.25 BAB.

Talya
2011-05-30, 03:00 PM
For example, a Cleric 3 Wizard 2 Fighter 3 would have 2.25 + 1 + 3 = 6.25 BAB.

While correct, this is not the best example, because BAB 6 is what a cleric 3, wizard 2, fighter 3 would have already.

A better example would be Rogue 2, Wizard 1. With normal BAB rules this character has a BAB of +1. Under fractional, it has 1.5+0.5=+2.

Cleric 2/Rogue 2/Druid 2/Bard 2 would normally have a BAB of +4. Under fractional rules, it's +6.

Melayl
2011-05-30, 03:22 PM
Excellent, thank you all.

It's from Unearthed Arcana. Give me a minute and I'll see if I can find it on the SRD.

EDIT: I must be looking in the wrong place, because I can't find it on the SRD. It's on pg. 73 of Unearthed Arcana, though. Basically, it means that multiclass characters don't have crazy high saves and stupidly low BAB. For example, without fractional BAB/saves, a Wizard 1 / Sorcerer 1 (don't ask why you'd take that class combo) would have BAB 0 and Will +4. With them, the same character would have BAB 1 (form having 2 levels in BAB 1/2 classes: 1/2 + 1/2 = 1) and Will 3 (the same as you normally would from having 2 levels in a class with good Will). You only get the +2 from having good saves once, but you add all the fractional pieces of your BAB and your saves together to get a much more reasonable whole.
Looking at this example, I'm assuming the Saves are fractional as well?

ericgrau
2011-05-30, 03:26 PM
It boils down to a little extra complication for a superior BAB system. The only reason not to use it is because you don't want to bother, otherwise it's the way to go.

Cog
2011-05-30, 03:28 PM
Yes. Getting the +2 only once in each save isn't part of the fractional rules, though; the sample character in UA gets the +2 Fort from both Cleric and Fighter levels.

Zaq
2011-05-30, 03:38 PM
Silly me. Right you are, Cog. I just checked, and you're right. That's not how we do it (at our table, you get the +2 only from your first class and your first PrC), and I'd forgotten that the rules in the book are different.

Greenish
2011-05-30, 04:34 PM
It's from Unearthed Arcana. Give me a minute and I'll see if I can find it on the SRD.The sidebars didn't make it.

Eldariel
2011-05-30, 04:47 PM
Yes. Getting the +2 only once in each save isn't part of the fractional rules, though; the sample character in UA gets the +2 Fort from both Cleric and Fighter levels.

Original Fractional BAB article (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sg/20060303a) did but the Unearthed Arcana reprint didn't, for whatever reason. Obviously, it makes no sense to get the +2 twice per save since that means multiclassed characters get better saves than singleclassed characters with full good progression. That's just dumb, but default UA printing says nothing against it. Luckily, it's easy enough to implement on your own.

AslanCross
2011-05-30, 06:19 PM
It's a way to gain slightly more BAB from multiclassing, rather than using the whole number BAB increases that the class tables give.

For example, a Rogue has 3/4 BAB. Wizard has 1/2 BAB.
Under core rules, a Rogue 1/Wizard 1 has +0 BAB, as both have only +0 BAB at level 1.
Using fractional BAB, a Rogue1/Wizard 1 has .75+.5 or 1.25 BAB, which rounds down to +1.

2016-01-08, 12:49 AM
Original Fractional BAB article (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sg/20060303a) did but the Unearthed Arcana reprint didn't, for whatever reason. Obviously, it makes no sense to get the +2 twice per save since that means multiclassed characters get better saves than singleclassed characters with full good progression. That's just dumb, but default UA printing says nothing against it. Luckily, it's easy enough to implement on your own.

You're right, that's an incredibly stupid way to make it work. I mean, it's how it works without fractional, but really, who uses non-fractional calculation? :smalltongue:

SaintRidley
2016-01-08, 12:53 AM
You're right, that's an incredibly stupid way to make it work. I mean, it's how it works without fractional, but really, who uses non-fractional calculation? :smalltongue:

Most games, probably. I've never used it.

Lhurgyof
2016-01-08, 01:12 AM
Excellent, thank you all.

Yes. A good saving throw gives you 2 +1/2 levels basee bonus and a poor save gives you +1/3 levels.

MisterKaws
2016-01-08, 05:09 AM

They still have, in fact, they have even higher saves.

Ger. Bessa
2016-01-08, 08:42 AM
Those rules really come into play with a few prestige class (with BBA as prerequisite) and the early access to iteratives (and associated feats) in a few builds.

Note that late WotC printings have prestige classes that do not penalise 3/4 BBA (Ordained Champion comes after cleric 4, while older PrC need 5 levels at least, wich is bad for clerics and especially rogues (we're looking at you, assassin)). So fractionnal BBA isn't really how the game was intended.

The only times I wanted that rules was when I was building early entry Arcane Hierophant and early entry Arcane Trickster.

Edit : the saves matter to Master of Shrouds and Thrall of Juiblex. All hail lv4 PrC entry !

ComaVision
2016-01-08, 12:44 PM
I use fractional BaB but not fractional saves.

Pluto!
2016-01-09, 12:46 AM
So what sorts of saves does that leave a Necropolitan Dread Necromancer 4/Cleric of Undeath 3/True Necromancer 3/Pale Master 10 with?
:p