PDA

View Full Version : Order of the Stick What If's

Braxton
2011-05-30, 03:48 PM
Image how different the Order of the Stick would have been if things had not turned out quite as they did. This is just a fun little thread with everyone mentioning some cool 'What If' scenarios that could have happened.

Warning: There will be spoilers in this so do not read if you aren't up to date.

Don't be afraid to push the boundaries but don't do anything ridiculous. For example; "What if Elan decided to follow in his father's footsteps and joined him" is alright. It is incredibly unlikely but still in the realm of possibility. "What if Belkar spontaneously grew one million feet tall and rampaged through Tokyo" is not alright, there is no possibility of that happening and Tokyo is where I get my manga.

Begin.

zyborg
2011-05-30, 04:00 PM
The obvious one: What would happen if Roy survived the fall? Like he had someone cast Feather Fall, he had the CLW potions, or Celia figured out that humans can't shoot lighting?

MoonCat
2011-05-30, 04:00 PM
What id Elan was raised by Tarquin and Nale by his mom?

faustin
2011-05-30, 04:48 PM
What´s if Miko had tasted "treasure type 0" at time?

veti
2011-05-30, 05:27 PM
What if Belkar had joined Team Evil in Azure City?

What if Haley had rescued her loot from the inn?

What if the MitD were half-way competent, and had prevented Miko escaping from Xykon's forcecage?

What if Kubota had succeeded in replacing Shojo years ago (the Meatloaf Day Coup)?

raxies94
2011-05-30, 05:35 PM
What if Redcloak were to stand up to Xykon?

SuperFerret
2011-05-30, 05:39 PM
What id Elan was raised by Tarquin and Nale by his mom?

The Order's lovable bard would have a goatee and the evil twin wouldn't. :elan::nale:

Dalek-K
2011-05-30, 09:14 PM
What if Roy decided to become a Wizard

ORione
2011-05-30, 09:44 PM
The Order's lovable bard would have a goatee and the evil twin wouldn't. :elan::nale:

No way, goatees are evil, remember? Regardless of which one's the evil twin, he would have the goatee.

HappyBlanket
2011-05-30, 10:27 PM
What if Miko redeemed herself? Or, what if she accepted Sabine's offer?

What if Haley's mother never died?

What if Elan's mother did?

What if Roy's brother never died?

MoonCat
2011-05-30, 10:49 PM
No way, goatees are evil, remember? Regardless of which one's the evil twin, he would have the goatee.

And he;s saying he WOULD be evil.

Gift Jeraff
2011-05-30, 11:08 PM
What if Redcloak let Tsukiko join him in the throne room? (For starters, the Linear Guild and Miko may have not escaped.)

What if the entire Order teleported into the warehouse in Cliffport?

What if Xykon joined the S-Men?

Draconi Redfir
2011-05-30, 11:11 PM
What if Redcloak ever had to kill right-eye?

ORione
2011-05-30, 11:16 PM
And he;s saying he WOULD be evil.

He said that the lovable bard would have one and that the evil twin would not. I'm saying that whichever one turned out evil would decide to grow a goatee, whether it was Elan or Nale.

Mutant Sheep
2011-05-31, 02:06 AM
What if Redcloak ever had to kill right-eye?

Make sure to add the N there. :smallwink:
What if the Oracle was good aligned?

Stumblebee
2011-05-31, 02:21 AM
What if the Order of the Scribble hadn't split up?

What if Miko had survived the explosion of the Azure City gate? Well, technically she did survive it, but she died of the wounds it caused. You know what I mean.

What if Tsukiko and... th-that other guy from Azure City prison hadn't turned traitor?

What if Roy had remained a woman?

Klear
2011-05-31, 03:40 AM
What if MitD did get his great reveal in the dungeon of Dorukan?

martianmister
2011-05-31, 03:44 AM
No way, goatees are evil, remember?

Hinjo isn't evil.

Klear
2011-05-31, 04:39 AM
Hinjo isn't evil.

Now that you mention it... he does look somewhat evil... not sure why is that.

Roberto
2011-05-31, 04:53 AM
What if MitD was actually evil.

faustin
2011-05-31, 05:25 AM
What´s if Nale had never kidnapped Julia and gaving a motive to TOoS to return Azure City before the Goblin Invasion? Maybe Hinjo had been killed (without anyone to convince him to fleet with his people), Miko would have survived and commanded the Resistance instead of Haley and Kubota would be leader ipso facto of the refugees in ships.

NegativeFifteen
2011-05-31, 05:45 AM
What if Xykon had killed O-chul in the throne room instead of paralyzing him?

Jay R
2011-05-31, 10:10 AM
What if Vaarsuvius had put on the Belt of Gender Changing?

Klear
2011-05-31, 11:41 AM
I doubt that would change anything.

The Pilgrim
2011-05-31, 02:10 PM
What if Xykon's dog had not died?

Howler Dagger
2011-05-31, 02:28 PM
What if Xykon was a wizard?

What if Roy was a Liche?

What if Durkon was a tree?

What if we knew V's gender?

What if Elan had 26 Intelligence?

What if Haley was allergic to Gold?

What if Belkar was actually Lawful Good?

BlackestOfMages
2011-06-01, 07:46 PM
What if Vaarsuvius had put on the Belt of Gender Changing?

absolutly nothing noticable would have occured.

What if Xykon joined the S-Men?

The world of the OoTS would be ruled by sorceror, who where becoming the dominant peoples rather than outcasts and forcing the non-sorceror out (in otherwords, House of S for marvel fans:smallbiggrin:)

What´s if Miko had tasted "treasure type 0" at time?

The order would have a palladin in their midsts, annoying the heck out of Haley and giving Belkar a challange, but I doubt very much the plot would have changed.

Red XIV
2011-06-02, 01:25 AM
What if Redcloak let Tsukiko join him in the throne room? (For starters, the Linear Guild and Miko may have not escaped.)

What if Tsukiko and... th-that other guy from Azure City prison hadn't turned traitor?
In both of these scenarios, since the cells aren't weakened by Tsukiko's fight with the elemental and Miko doesn't escape, Soon would've killed Redcloak and destroyed Xykon's body, then sooner or later the Order would've gotten to the throne room and the comic would be over.

Klear
2011-06-02, 02:42 AM
The world of the OoTS would be ruled by sorceror, who where becoming the dominant peoples rather than outcasts and forcing the non-sorceror out (in otherwords, House of S for marvel fans:smallbiggrin:)

House of X, actually...

ThePhantasm
2011-06-02, 02:49 AM
House of X, actually...

Pretty sure he knows that. House of S is a play on House of X, just like S-Men is a play on X-Men.

Klear
2011-06-02, 03:26 AM
Pretty sure he knows that. House of S is a play on House of X, just like S-Men is a play on X-Men.

It was actually House of M, as in House of Magnus (Magneto), so this would have to be House of Xykon. Though I admit that the X there makes it quite confusing.

Dvandemon
2011-06-04, 02:17 PM
What If everyone in the story was of a non-core class?

137beth
2011-06-04, 05:09 PM
Would if RC never had his epiphany?

Not seeing much point to this thread...

Flame of Anor
2011-06-04, 05:12 PM
We should change this to a Silly Message Board Game where everyone has to answer the previous poster's What If? before posting one.

ThePhantasm
2011-06-04, 08:02 PM
We should change this to a Silly Message Board Game where everyone has to answer the previous poster's What If? before posting one.

Or how about let's not. . . :smalltongue:

Detrinex
2011-06-04, 08:09 PM
But what if we did answer it?

Anyways, what if V chose to be with hir family again after saving them?

ThePhantasm
2011-06-04, 08:40 PM
But what if we did answer it?

Anyways, what if V chose to be with hir family again after saving them?

Actually I think everyone should be answering the what ifs instead of just asking the questions. I was joking about it turning into a Silly Message Board game.

Delcor
2011-06-04, 10:12 PM
Actually I think everyone should be answering the what ifs instead of just asking the questions. I was joking about it turning into a Silly Message Board game.

I guess I'll start then, whos got the answer to:

What if miko never killed sojo?

What if Tsukiko animated miko and made her into that totally boss death knight she was talking about?

What if Tarquin never divorced Elan's mom?

Flame of Anor
2011-06-04, 10:45 PM
I guess I'll start then, whos got the answer to:

What if miko never killed sojo?

Well, Miko was really high level. If she hadn't been in prison and fallen, she could have done a lot against the hobgoblins; Shojo being alive would have helped morale and he might have outfoxed some of the tricks. I'm not saying the battle would have definitely been won, but it's quite possible.

What if Tsukiko animated miko and made her into that totally boss death knight she was talking about?

She would have to be carried around, because she didn't have any legs. Other than that, it depends on whether she keeps her memories.

What if Tarquin never divorced Elan's mom?

Elan and Nale would both be less cool and well-adjusted.

GSFB
2011-06-05, 12:33 AM
What if V hadn't lost 1/3 of the soul splice before fighting Xykon?

What if V had waited for Roy's resurrection to finish before fighting Xykon?

t209
2011-06-05, 01:18 AM
What if Shojo was never killed by Miko? (They (hinjo and miko) already found out by that point)
What if Shojo was never killed by Miko? (They (hinjo and miko) never found out)
What if Azure City have access to muskets and cannons?

Mutant Sheep
2011-06-05, 01:48 AM
What if Azure City have access to muskets and cannons?

Magic> gunpowder :smalltongue:. Titanium > gun.

ben-zayb
2011-06-05, 02:21 AM
What if...O-Chul never survived? :smalleek:

Flame of Anor
2011-06-05, 05:15 AM

You're saying these words, but it's not making a legitimate sentence...

faustin
2011-06-05, 07:49 AM
You're saying these words, but it's not making a legitimate sentence...

Sorry, but despite his epic endurance, both O-Chul and V were on a tiny MID Ex Machina distance from getting their pouches filled with warm goo.

ThePhantasm
2011-06-05, 08:08 AM

My mind has been broken by the paradox.

fibonacciseries
2011-06-05, 01:19 PM
What If everyone in the story was of a non-core class?

Roy would be a Warblade, and much better optimized.

What if Roy had hung onto the spare sword that was found for him in the Dungeon of Dorukon until his ancestral sword was fixed? Would having a sword--rather than a greatclub--have allowed him to beat Miko the first (or second) time round?

What if Roy had listened to the deva who was trying to tell him about V's dramatic turn toward evil?

KoboldRevenge
2011-06-05, 01:56 PM
What if Roy had hung onto the spare sword that was found for him in the Dungeon of Dorukon
It depends on if it would have given him enough of a bonus to help him.

What if Roy had listened to the deva who was trying to tell him about V's dramatic turn toward evil?
He might have had the same failure at persuading post revalation Varrsuvius.

What if Xykon was sent back in time and met his younger alive self. But the younger Xykon didn't recognize him so they fought to the death?

What if Elan persuaded his Father to go to war against Gobbotopia with the full might of all his Kingdoms?

Kish
2011-06-05, 02:13 PM
Roy would be a Warblade, and much better optimized.

His family would probably have a Samurai tradition instead.

What if Roy had hung onto the spare sword that was found for him in the Dungeon of Dorukon until his ancestral sword was fixed? Would having a sword--rather than a greatclub--have allowed him to beat Miko the first (or second) time round?
It didn't look like it was a greatsword, so his Weapon Focus and Weapon Specialization and any other weapon-specific feats would still not have worked. Using a one-handed weapon, and doing nothing with his off-hand, Roy would quite possibly have done even worse than he actually did.

zyborg
2011-06-05, 02:16 PM
What if Roy decided to read the Tome of Battle?

t209
2011-06-05, 02:36 PM
Magic> gunpowder :smalltongue:. Titanium > gun.

Unless gunpowder's carbon (Carbon Grenade) mixed with titanium and brittle enough for somebody to smash it.
P.S- what if Shojo wasn't murdered? Will it boost azurites morale?

rewinn
2011-06-05, 09:29 PM
Unless gunpowder's carbon (Carbon Grenade) mixed with titanium and brittle enough for somebody to smash it.
P.S- what if Shojo wasn't murdered? Will it boost azurites morale?
Alive, Shojo would have persuaded (by fair means or foul...) many of the Great Houses that fled to stand and fight. This would NOT have kept Xykon out of the Throne room (...not much could have...) but it would have halted Redcloak's attack at the breach. Unless Redcloak had a few more tricks up his sleeve, Xykon would've faced the Ghost-Martyrs alone, and been defeated.

The subsequent conversation between Ghost Soon and Shojo would have been priceless (...assuming Shojo had enough protective magic devices to resist the SymBall of Insanity...). Also, with no dead Shojo, Miko remains a Paladin and perhaps personally kills Redcloak with ... followed perhaps with an attack on the Sexy Shoeless God Of War.
---

What if Hilga had decided not to tell Durkon about her husband? Would she had joined the Order and fought Miko?

Niknokitueu
2011-06-06, 07:59 AM
Nah. The lovable bard would be called Nale and the evil twin would be called Elan. Remember: the evil goatee denotes evilness. Always. So it has to be the evil brother that has the evil goatee...

Have Fun!
Niknokitueu

Souhiro
2011-06-06, 09:02 AM
What if Roy has a Chainsaw instead of a GreatSword?

What if Belkar has TWO Chainsaws instead of his two daggers, and they were light weapons?

What if Haley could fly? (All her archnemesis are Flying Girls, as she said.

What if everybody evolve to Pathfinder Classess?

What if Roy has blonde hair, a fake moustache and did wear a tie?

Raistlin82
2011-06-06, 09:49 AM
Yes, we should. This thread would actually make sense, then.
I also think people should post only one question per post (and one question per answer given), or else there would still be a huge lot of unanswered questions, compared to the answers.
Ok, I'll start wrapping this up.

What if the MitD were half-way competent, and had prevented Miko escaping from Xykon's forcecage?

What if MitD did get his great reveal in the dungeon of Dorukan?

What if MitD was actually evil.

The OotS would have died in Dorukan's Dungeon, Xykon would have control over the portal, and both him and Redcloak would have tried to fulfill their respective plans. (x3)

What if Therkla had survived and joined the OotS?

MoonCat
2011-06-06, 09:52 AM
All of these (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WMG/OrderOfTheStickJossed) are some pretty good What If's.

Squark
2011-06-06, 10:21 AM
What if Roy had brought Durkon's recruits for the order along with the ones we know and love?
(The answer; This would have been a really short comic)

GSFB
2011-06-07, 12:00 AM
What if liches could taste?

OoTLink
2011-06-07, 02:44 AM
What if they hadn't gotten the teleporting azure city wizard all sad and drunk so that he killed himself? What if they had gotten back to Azure city?

I liked that guy!

BlackestOfMages
2011-06-07, 04:43 AM
What if they hadn't gotten the teleporting azure city wizard all sad and drunk so that he killed himself? What if they had gotten back to Azure city?

I liked that guy!

he didn't kill himself, he was eaten by a giant bird, which got so drunk off him it killed tiself:smallbiggrin:

though I liked him too

OoTLink
2011-06-07, 05:00 AM
The lack of sleep would encompass similar shortages of cognition but be far less entertaining.

What if Elan successfully converted Thog to their side?

Metahuman1
2011-06-07, 08:29 AM
Then Thog would be a new member of the order, and a useful one, though he would need a sort of mixture of the guidance/short lease they use too keep Elan himself and Belkar pointed at the bad guys, at least at first I'm sure.

Eventually he might get too a point that he could stay a good, or at least neutral character on his own.

And I kinda Like Thog, so I hope that actually happens. =)

What if Nales plan is/was too use tomes and some wish spells cast by other extra planer creatures in order too add a substantial inherit bonus too the Empresses Wis and Int scores so she'll turn on his father?

rewinn
2011-06-07, 06:02 PM
What if Nales plan is/was too use tomes and some wish spells cast by other extra planer creatures in order too add a substantial inherit bonus too the Empresses Wis and Int scores so she'll turn on his father?
:nale: This time, I cannot fail!
:roy: Except that once the Queen is wise enough to notice that T is the power behind the throne, she's also smart enough to try to join his team. As long as she gets a couple dozen cattle a day, she doesn't want much more. T won't have to bother staging a coup if the Red Queen is compliant enough.

===

What if V (now separated and soon to be divorced) starts dating again?

The Succubus
2011-06-07, 06:24 PM
:roy: Except that once the Queen is wise enough to notice that T is the power behind the throne, she's also smart enough to try to join his team. As long as she gets a couple dozen cattle a day, she doesn't want much more. T won't have to bother staging a coup if the Red Queen is compliant enough.

===

V becomes a playa....*shrick*
:belkar: "How many times do I have to warn you people about that word?!"

t209
2011-06-08, 06:27 PM
What if Uncle Ruckus-esque Orc Barbarian is in place of Belkar? Imagine that.

KoboldRevenge
2011-06-08, 09:04 PM
I love the Boondocks!

Dvandemon
2011-06-09, 11:33 PM
What if liches could taste?

Xykon would have to be cleaned regularly* because his robes and lower half would have coffee stains and he'd smell like stale coffee to everyone. I'd imagine he'd drink a lot since he can.*Tsukiko would be the one to lick him clean.
What if one could spend more than 8 hours crafting magical items?

lord pringle
2011-06-10, 12:42 AM
What if Haley was allergic to Gold?
Then she'd either be on damn good allergy medicine or have everything in platinum.
What if V was Blackwing's familiar?

t209
2011-06-10, 11:51 PM
What if Miko Miyazaki did not become a fanatic paladin, but become a Monk General of Lord shojo(like Charuka from Nausicaa)?

Crisis21
2011-06-11, 12:03 AM
As my avatar suggests: What if Eric Greenhilt lived?

Personally, I imagine a Roy who has more overall patience with people like Elan in the beginning but still is the sarcastic LG fighter we all know and love. I also imagine a Julia Greenhilt who ended up NG rather than TN on the alignment scale due to being less spoiled.

Strangely, Eugene isn't much different in this world. He still looks down on non-spellcasters and even ostracized Eric because he picked the bard class rather than wizard.

Eric isn't a member of the Order in this world, he is part of a different adventuring party.

Klear
2011-06-11, 05:23 AM
As my avatar suggests: What if Eric Greenhilt lived?

Personally, I imagine a Roy who has more overall patience with people like Elan in the beginning but still is the sarcastic LG fighter we all know and love. I also imagine a Julia Greenhilt who ended up NG rather than TN on the alignment scale due to being less spoiled.

Strangely, Eugene isn't much different in this world. He still looks down on non-spellcasters and even ostracized Eric because he picked the bard class rather than wizard.

Eric isn't a member of the Order in this world, he is part of a different adventuring party.

The real difference wiould be that Nele would kidnap him, not Julia. I can see the story diverging in some interesting way from there, but sadly I don't remember that passage much, so I can't elaborate on that =)

Crisis21
2011-06-11, 01:54 PM
The real difference wiould be that Nele would kidnap him, not Julia. I can see the story diverging in some interesting way from there, but sadly I don't remember that passage much, so I can't elaborate on that =)

Why? Eric wouldn't have gone to Warthog's, which is where Nale spotted Julia in the first place. If anything, Roy would have contacted Eric for backup and both parties would have curbstomped the Linear Guild. :smalltongue:

Klear
2011-06-11, 02:08 PM
That's just how what if's work. I'm presuming Roy and Eric would share a strong bond, so kidnapping Eric would be a better choice to create more dramatic tension. Details such as where and how Nale would found out about him don't matter when confronted with the rule of drama, ans can be freely handwaved away using the butterfly effect.

Crisis21
2011-06-11, 02:51 PM
Except that the kidnapping plot was Julia's one-off screen time. Without her being a part of it, there is no reason to have her in the story. Eric, being an adventurer, could potentially run into the OotS at any time. That, and Julia is still the youngest and lowest level of the three Greenhilts, which makes her prime kidnapping material according to the rules of drama.

Laeranu
2011-06-11, 03:24 PM
Xykon would have to be cleaned regularly* because his robes and lower half would have coffee stains and he'd smell like stale coffee to everyone. I'd imagine he'd drink a lot since he can

Also, I think that Xykon would still be partially sane and redcloak would still be in control, since it was when Xykon realised he couldn't drink coffee that he went totally mad, and before that, Redcloak was in control of Xykon rather than being his minion.

Kish
2011-06-11, 03:37 PM
Bearing in mind that
the only goblins in Redcloak's original group to survive long enough for Xykon to realize he didn't have his sense of taste were Redcloak himself and his brother, and only the few newly-liched Xykon tested his new killing touch out on survived long enough to see him become a lich even,I'd have to say this is some strange new definition of "control" with which I was not previously familiar.

Laeranu
2011-06-11, 03:46 PM
hes a loonitic, there's only so much control you can have :smallbiggrin:

DnDgeek13
2011-06-11, 03:53 PM
what if elan had learned "neutralize poison" earlier?

t209
2011-06-12, 12:29 AM
What if Miko became Shinji Ikari? We could have a whinny emo paladin who moans alot and have depression.

Metahuman1
2011-06-12, 01:00 PM
If Elan had learned Neutralize Poison earlier, the Half Orc Ninja girl would have lived, Elan would have not had a nasty round of depression over her death, and right now she'd either be a new add too the order, or working for Hinjo, or serving a prison sentence from Hinjo depending on if Elan and maybe Durkon where able to talk him into showing leniency and how much they talked him into showing. Kabuto Might have escaped, but an argument could be made that Elan could still have prevented that even with out the "Oh, PLEASE give me an excuse too kill you for what you just did." boost he got right after she died.

Here's a better one for Miko.

What if Miko's build was Paladin of Liberty and instead of monk levels she had unarmed Barbarian or martial adept (Pick any of the three classes.) levels, and she was simply working for Shojo becuase she felt that he was doing a good job of keeping the law working for good, as opposed too the inverse or the other alternative of the law working for either evil or just for it's own sake, all of which would have been undesirable/acceptable too a CG Paladin.

Metahuman1
2011-06-12, 03:14 PM

===

Redqueen: "Thank you for making me competent enough to follow what was going on."

Nale: "Of course, of course. Now, as too the matter of our conquest,"

Redqueen: "About that, I talked too your father,"

Nale: "WHAT! WH..."

Redqueen: "And he made me a better offer, and now I'm smart enough too both see that, and take it, again, thanks too you, so now, your just a loose end that needs to be tied up." *Breath weapons LG, not killing them but defiantly letting them know it's a fight!*

Sabine: "I TOLD YOU THIS WAS A BAD IDEA!"

Nale: "Now is not the time for...."

Thog: "Thog said no deal with Dragon. Thog said it not go well. Thog said books and Int and Wis were Bad! Thog was right!" *Not sure if he's happy or not, tone is vague.*

Nale: "Oh come on! You too!"

Elan: "Huh, that actually kinda worked for us."

V: "Do not most of his plans eventually turn out too benefit us, if in a round about fashion?"

Roy, or Hayley, or Durkon, or maybe Belkar: "Yeah, but this is just gonna make dealing with his dad that much harder when we get too that point."

LG: *Fighting for there lives against the Redqueen.*

GSFB
2011-06-13, 12:23 AM
what if G - O - D spelled "mortal"?

le Suisse
2011-06-13, 05:45 AM
Wath if the IFCC wants Elan as a pawn more than Nale?

t209
2011-06-13, 07:17 PM
Wath if the IFCC wants Elan as a pawn more than Nale?

You would have Darth Elan! (They would use his love of Haley for their own purpose)

FatJose
2011-06-14, 01:50 PM
What if Uncle Ruckus-esque Orc Barbarian is in place of Belkar? Imagine that.

I figure Roy woould have killed the man way back in book 1.

t209
2011-06-14, 05:47 PM
I figure Roy woould have killed the man way back in book 1.

Well, Roy hates orcs (but the uncle ruckus Orc hates orc and he thinks that he is a human cursed with green skin spell).

veti
2011-06-14, 08:23 PM
If Elan had learned Neutralize Poison earlier, the Half Orc Ninja girl would have lived, Elan would have not had a nasty round of depression over her death, and right now she'd either be a new add too the order, or working for Hinjo, or serving a prison sentence from Hinjo depending on if Elan and maybe Durkon where able to talk him into showing leniency and how much they talked him into showing.

Meh... Elan didn't show any real signs of depression at that episode. Sorrow, yes - but not mood swings, apathy, lethargy, sleep disorder or heightened anxiety, to name but a few common symptoms. He seemed to emerge from it, if anything, better adjusted.

A more interesting question is, how would Therkla have reacted in that scenario? Would she devote herself slavishly to Elan, or volunteer to submit to Hinjo's justice just to get away from him? would she remain loyal to Kubota despite his treachery? would she have been present when V killed him, and how would she have reacted then?

Kish
2011-06-14, 10:57 PM
Well, Roy hates orcs
Does he really?

t209
2011-06-15, 01:35 AM
Does he really?

I am sorry that I didn't know that Roy is not a racist (or in D&D terms, Speciesist) since he does not slaughter the metalhead orcs.
What i mean is will my "if" Orc version of Uncle Ruckus be killed because that orc hates his own race and thinks he's a human cursed with green skin and fangs?

Jay R
2011-06-16, 09:44 AM
What if there were no hypothetical suppositions?

Well, in that case, there would be ... ummm ... well .... oh. Oops. <poof>

Metahuman1
2011-06-16, 04:50 PM
Meh... Elan didn't show any real signs of depression at that episode. Sorrow, yes - but not mood swings, apathy, lethargy, sleep disorder or heightened anxiety, to name but a few common symptoms. He seemed to emerge from it, if anything, better adjusted.

A more interesting question is, how would Therkla have reacted in that scenario? Would she devote herself slavishly to Elan, or volunteer to submit to Hinjo's justice just to get away from him? would she remain loyal to Kubota despite his treachery? would she have been present when V killed him, and how would she have reacted then?

Well, I don't think she'd have been around for the rest of Kabuto's run, since her Con would have still been significantly damaged. Remember, NP only stops additional damage. Thus remaining loyal too him wouldn't be much of an option (Though still an option.). This also means she wouldn't have been around when V wiped him off the face of the earth. (Evil or not, I still think V was valid in that particular slaying, even though I know the actual reasoning V employed was all kinds of messed up. After all, He was even threatening the whole "I shall return", bit even as Elan was going to hand him off to Hinjo.)

And there's a third option. Submit to Hinjo's Justice, becuase Elan wants her to clean her slate, and Hinjo's cut Elan and Durkon a deal in light of them making a heartfelt intervention on her behalf and form the position of "The guys who have saved your life more then once now and have taken care of your Kabuto problem for you." Thus, she gets a lighter sentece. And Might even have reappeared in the comic before the run ends.

Procyonpi
2011-06-16, 05:36 PM

I thought they're supposed to be reasonably plausible.

mago
2011-06-16, 07:55 PM
What if Roy could access spiral energy?

calar
2011-06-16, 11:25 PM
What if Elan HAD multi-classed to wizard?

t209
2011-06-17, 12:33 PM
What if Elan HAD multi-classed to wizard?

He would have
-tip the scale the battle for azure city
-rescue Haley
-save the first ship during the troll attack
-save Therkla

Kish
2011-06-17, 12:41 PM
I'd say it's more "he would be weaker now than he is for having taken a bard level then, since he couldn't cast any spells as a wizard."

Metahuman1
2011-06-17, 12:50 PM
What if Elan got the Dragonfire inspiration feat? (I think that's what its called but I could be wrong since I don't have my book handy and I've never actually gotten too use that feat. It's from Dragon Magic, and it trades the + too damage from Inspire courage too +d6, (+1 = +1d6, +2 = +2d6, ext.), of either Fire, Cold, Sonic, Lighting, or Acid damage. )

What if Elan Got the following.

Deck of Many things: Drew one card, +2 inherent bonus too a stat of his choice.

+5 Tome of Cha.

Use of a Wish spell too get another +5 too Cha.

rewinn
2011-06-17, 04:26 PM
What if Elan got the Dragonfire inspiration feat? (I think that's what its called but I could be wrong since I don't have my book handy and I've never actually gotten too use that feat. It's from Dragon Magic, and it trades the + too damage from Inspire courage too +d6, (+1 = +1d6, +2 = +2d6, ext.), of either Fire, Cold, Sonic, Lighting, or Acid damage. )

What if Elan Got the following.

Deck of Many things: Drew one card, +2 inherent bonus too a stat of his choice.

+5 Tome of Cha.

Use of a Wish spell too get another +5 too Cha.
:elan: Cool! I get one more draw!
:durkon: Nay laddie!
:roy: Uh wait, Elan ...
:haley: Honey, stop! Don't risk it!
:belkar: Aw c'mon, what's the worst than can happen?
:elan: (pulls and gets ..... [sad trombone]) (http://www.sadtrombone.com/)

===

What if one of Haley's Bags of Holding connected to Bagworld?

twinkletoes
2011-06-17, 06:27 PM
What if
(SoD Spoiler)
Redcloak hadn't disintegrated Right eye

Kish
2011-06-17, 07:03 PM
The goblin we know as Redcloak would be dead, Redcloak would never have lived, and Xykon would be attempting a different, likely much less dangerous to the world, plot to conquer the world. Perhaps Roy's quest to stop Xykon would be aided by two goblins whose resurrection was arranged by their daughter/niece...

Katuko
2011-06-17, 07:17 PM
What if Roy had smoked Xykon with a lucky critical when fighting for Azure City?

What if O-Chul had actually managed to break the phylactery?

What if Elan hadn't set off the self-destruct of the first gate? (Thereby avoiding Miko being sent to find them at all.)

Kish
2011-06-17, 07:30 PM
What if Roy had smoked Xykon with a lucky critical when fighting for Azure City?

Undead immune to critical hits.

What if O-Chul had actually managed to break the phylactery?

Little would actually have changed, as far as what we've seen so far. There would be no search of the sewers; Wrong-Eye, Xykon, and Tsukiko would have left Gobbotopia, probably before Redcloak could declare it Gobbotopia.

What if Elan hadn't set off the self-destruct of the first gate? (Thereby avoiding Miko being sent to find them at all.)
Xykon and Redcloak would have returned to claim Dorukan's Gate, unimpeded by the Order of the Stick. Some hapless fool would have been tricked or coerced into touching the Gate. The Plan would be complete.

martianmister
2011-06-18, 06:50 AM
Some hapless fool would have been tricked or coerced into touching the Gate. The Plan would be complete.

We don't really know about Xykon's theory's being right or wrong.

jidasfire
2011-06-18, 04:20 PM
What if Roy could access spiral energy?

Xykon could throw every Meteor Swarm and Energy Drain in his repertoire at Roy and he'd still lose. Then Roy would conquer Gobbotopia, defeat the IFCC, and have an epic battle with the Snarl, which he'd win by simply asking, "Who the hell do you think I am?!"

In other words, the comic would be much shorter.

t209
2011-06-18, 10:30 PM
What if Hinjo decided to give a chance to "Redeem" Fallen Paladin miko? BY SENDING HER ON A SUICIDE CHARGE AT XYKON FORCES!

Roupe
2011-06-19, 05:25 AM
What if falling on Flumphs didnt cushion landings.

rewinn
2011-06-19, 11:19 AM
What if Hinjo decided to give a chance to "Redeem" Fallen Paladin miko? BY SENDING HER ON A SUICIDE CHARGE AT XYKON FORCES!

Miko and Belkar have a goblin-killing contest. Hilarity ensues!

:belkar:I am a sexy shoeless God of War!
:miko:I shall slay you after I finish with the next thousand goblins!
:roach:Who's the deadliest? Place yer bets!
:xykon:10 GP on crazy ninja chick!
:redcloak: *sigh* Well, at least the bodies are piling up against the wall so we can climb over them into the city.

============

What if Haley hadn't figured out Xykon's plan to sneak into the castle?

Procyonpi
2011-06-19, 03:37 PM
Miko and Belkar have a goblin-killing contest. Hilarity ensues!

:belkar:I am a sexy shoeless God of War!
:miko:I shall slay you after I finish with the next thousand goblins!
:roach:Who's the deadliest? Place yer bets!
:xykon:10 GP on crazy ninja chick!
:redcloak: *sigh* Well, at least the bodies are piling up against the wall so we can climb over them into the city.

Nah, Miko would be two crazy to accept the offer. Either that, or she'd take it as an opportunity to get out of jail and attack the evil order of the stick. CLEARLY, killing goblins who are invading Azure City was just part of their diabolical scheme to destroy it.

Metahuman1
2011-06-19, 08:00 PM
Honestly, I think if she was given a direct order, buy her lawful lord, whom was put into power by her actions, Ironically enough, she'd obey it.

Remember, she didn't kill Shojo until she took it into her head he was corrupted. Hinjo still had fully functional paladin levels and class features, thus could NOT be accused of such. Although I agree she wouldn't like it. And I'm sure as soon as she though it was safe she'd have gone after Belkar and Roy, and the rest of the order except MAYBE Durkon.

Now here's one for you, What if Miko had had enough experience with how things work with the rest of the world outside Monks, Paladins, maybe some Samurai, and a small, small circle of Nobles too recognize after there initial encounter that while Hayley, Roy, Elan and V might have been Irritatingly unlawful/Inept/both/ Respectively, they were still the good guys? Would she still have driven herself insane and killed Lord Shojo, falling in the process? Or Might she have remained a force of good, perhaps helping to tip the scales in Azure City's Favor?

Katuko
2011-06-21, 05:04 PM
Undead immune to critical hits.
Darn, forgot about that. :P

[Regarding Phylactery] Little would actually have changed, as far as what we've seen so far. There would be no search of the sewers; Wrong-Eye, Xykon, and Tsukiko would have left Gobbotopia, probably before Redcloak could declare it Gobbotopia.
I was thinking that if the phylactery had been smashed there and then, Xykon would not be so talkative as he was. In the original sequence, V had turned invisible and O-Chul was down. V returned to heal O-Chul with potions while Xykon kept talking. After that, Xykon was distracted by O-Chul grabbing the phylactery and went after Blackwing when he was carrying it. If O-Chul had managed to destroy the phylactery, however, Xykon would most likely have killed him on the spot, as he was certainly capable of. That would mean that V would either have no reason to return to the battle (thus being stuck in a hobgoblin-infested city) or V would return to save O-Chul and then get killed by Xykon as well.

Also: The MitD reacted when he realized Xykon was about to kill O-Chul. He didn't do anything while O-Chul was being hit by Disintegrate or any of the earlier Meteor Swarms. If Xykon had gone all out and just killed him, the MitD may not have had time to (subconsciously) realize it was time to warp them. If O-Chul dead = sad/enraged MitD, then that's bad news for everyone, I'm sure.

Xykon and Redcloak would have returned to claim Dorukan's Gate, unimpeded by the Order of the Stick. Some hapless fool would have been tricked or coerced into touching the Gate. The Plan would be complete.
When Xykon touched the gate (or was it the energy behind it?) he exploded. I don't see how exploding fulfills the plan. :D

What if falling on Flumphs didnt cushion landings.
It depends on actual fall damage, but we would most likely have several dead characters.

Kish
2011-06-21, 05:23 PM
When Xykon touched the gate (or was it the energy behind it?)
Neither, it was the anti-evil rune in front of it, the one he wanted someone in the Order to touch the gate in order to bypass.

And that would seem to invalidate the rest of your sentence and the next one.

Metahuman1
2011-06-21, 06:09 PM
What if the Order got access too all the assorted splat books that got posted for 3.5?

Veya
2011-06-21, 07:24 PM
What if Tsukiko was good? (well, just the hell creepy, with the whole undead thing and stuff...)

What if Xykon was defeated by Vaarsuvius?

What if the MitD had enough brains to know what is right and turned into Xykon?

What if Miko had survived the explosion? (aparently she would have, if wasn't for that piece of the throne...)

What if Own's Wisdom's effect was permanent?

What if the Oracle's prediction about Belkar's death was fake and he was only trying to make Roy go away faster? (ouch, I gone a bit too far here...)

t209
2011-06-21, 09:25 PM
What if Tsukiko was good? (well, just the hell creepy, with the whole undead thing and stuff...)

What if Xykon was defeated by Vaarsuvius?

What if the MitD had enough brains to know what is right and turned into Xykon?

What if Miko had survived the explosion? (aparently she would have, if wasn't for that piece of the throne...)

What if Own's Wisdom's effect was permanent?

What if the Oracle's prediction about Belkar's death was fake and he was only trying to make Roy go away faster? (ouch, I gone a bit too far here...)

Then, there will be no more story about Azurites turning into Gears of war 2 ending after Jacinto Sank and people escape on ship (Gears of War2).

rewinn
2011-06-22, 12:51 AM
What if Miko had had enough experience with how things work with the rest of the world outside Monks, Paladins, maybe some Samurai, and a small, small circle of Nobles too recognize after there initial encounter that while Hayley, Roy, Elan and V might have been Irritatingly unlawful/Inept/both/ Respectively, they were still the good guys? Would she still have driven herself insane and killed Lord Shojo, falling in the process? Or Might she have remained a force of good, perhaps helping to tip the scales in Azure City's Favor?

Interesting question. Imagine that Miko was more like Hinjo ... in fact, imagine that Shojo sent Hinjo and a party of followers to get the Order. Roy would easily persuade them that they're good guys (...except Belkar...) and that there was no reason to drag them back to the City for trial. Shojo would have had to come up with some other subterfugue for getting the Order (or someone) to check on the other Gates.

It makes me wonder ... did Shojo encourage Miko's unreasonableness? It made her a pretty easy tool for him to manipulate.

What if the paladins HAD figured out that Shojo was neither bonkers nor Lawful? Would they still obey him, or over throw him, or ... ?

Metahuman1
2011-06-22, 09:46 AM
I'm of two minds on this one. On the one hand, Hinjo and Miko did not take kindly to that revelation, but on the other hand, if there willing to put up with a senile lord becuase he's technically in charge as per the law, they might have been willing to put up with one who, as near as I can figure form what we saw of him, Neutral good. (He cared more about doing the greater good then about the petty details or coloring inside the procedural lines. ) Particularly since he can point out that his actions have prevented the local lords form twisting the local law into a force for sincere self serving evil. And that he never actually CLAIMED to be a paladin. They just made an assumption.

I think he was expecting anyone other then Miko to be reasonable once they started talking to Roy, which was why he sent Miko. I also think that he was kinda encouraging it since she did get results for him as long as he was careful to keep her pointed in the right direction.

hamishspence
2011-06-22, 09:55 AM
Belkar seems to believe Shojo's gone to the Chaotic Good afterlife.

And in Don't Split the Party, there's some references to the "chaotic philosophy"- when discussing illusion Shojo's advice to Belkar.

King of Nowhere
2011-06-22, 11:41 AM
Honestly, I think if she was given a direct order, buy her lawful lord, whom was put into power by her actions, Ironically enough, she'd obey it.

Remember, she didn't kill Shojo until she took it into her head he was corrupted. Hinjo still had fully functional paladin levels and class features, thus could NOT be accused of such. Although I agree she wouldn't like it. And I'm sure as soon as she though it was safe she'd have gone after Belkar and Roy, and the rest of the order except MAYBE Durkon.

Now here's one for you, What if Miko had had enough experience with how things work with the rest of the world outside Monks, Paladins, maybe some Samurai, and a small, small circle of Nobles too recognize after there initial encounter that while Hayley, Roy, Elan and V might have been Irritatingly unlawful/Inept/both/ Respectively, they were still the good guys? Would she still have driven herself insane and killed Lord Shojo, falling in the process? Or Might she have remained a force of good, perhaps helping to tip the scales in Azure City's Favor?
She would have been in the throne room during the battle. She would have probably died anyway, in the most likely scenario.
There is, however, the chance that her ghost martyr would have been strong enough to resist redcloak turning, and tip the battle there. Who knows?

Originally Posted by raxies94 View Post
Redcloak would be dead, jirix would wear the red cloak. Or maybe some other goblin/hobgoblin.

Metahuman1
2011-06-22, 05:03 PM
He might have been Chaotic, but for a Chaotic personality he seemed really good at making the system work in ways it was not intended too for the purpose of serving the greater good. Which doesn't hit me as that Chaotic since it's still staying inside the rules by and large.

Hence why I went with Neutral.

But of course, this is an opinion and I could be dead wrong.

And she might have been in the throne Room, or she might have been assigned too the wall with the Order and Hinjo. Or too the Court Yard with the clerics, in witch case she might have been with Roy when Xykon reveled his location, or at the breach when the death knight attacked and got past V's buffed troops that had been holding the gap, or she might have managed to kill Redcloak before he got into the Throne Room, which might in and of itself stopped Xykon Right there. (Remember, he would have lost to the Ghost Martyrs if Redcloak had not interfered. ), or at the very least Shojo might have killed them both since she wouldn't have come in and blown up the gate right before he finished them.

Prowl
2011-06-23, 10:53 PM
What if Rich won the lottery and is sipping tequila through a straw on some Caribbean island as we speak?

martianmister
2011-06-24, 01:57 PM
What if Rich won the lottery and is sipping tequila through a straw on some Caribbean island as we speak?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAWkfO7Of1g&feature=related

GSFB
2011-07-19, 11:51 PM
what if the cleric of Freya had been a little more open minded about Banjo joining the Asgardian Pantheon?

Mutant Sheep
2011-07-20, 02:13 PM
what if the cleric of Freya had been a little more open minded about Banjo joining the Asgardian Pantheon?
Elan would be roommates with Loki as sheriff Thor tries to catch them? I smell a bad sitcom!

Jay R
2011-07-21, 06:15 AM

If Banjo were a god, then Ollie would still be the scary monster in the arena (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0746.html).

BaronOfHell
2011-09-20, 11:07 AM
This is ignoring the power of plot.

I noticed that the two assassins are afraid of paladins:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0535.html

However there was also a paladin at the inn, the very first time we saw them. Miko.

So my first what if is... What if Roy had put Miko on part of the "going after the assassins crew"?

In stead, he put her on the "help civilians out safely crew": http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0237.html.

My guess is that the assassins would have fled when they saw Miko, assuming they'd identify her as a paladin. In that case, I find it unlikely the inn would have been blown (since the assassins wouldn't even have put the explosives in such a threatning position).

Now from this I assume Haley would have kept her voice.

So what if Haley had kept her voice? I imagine that this scene:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0361.html would have been different. Now this is going on to the more unlikely part, still ignoring the power of plot altogether, but I'll assume that the earlier warning by Haley (given Haley would still spot Nale), would mean Nale would not make the switch with Elan.

So what if Nale did not make the switch with Elan?
Well now it gets hard to tell, because a lot of stuff have complicated events that will happen, now the linear guild could potentialy strike again at any odd time. Anyhow, ignoring this, I believe at least it means Nale would not learn about the gates, and I believe this means the IFCC would not learn about the gate. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0380.html.

This however means that the IFCC would maybe never respond to V's cry for help, though not sufficient familiar with V to know what hir would do about that, I believe at least the result could be:
1) Xykon still in azure city (and kills boredom)
2) The IFCC would not be after the gates
3) Oots, maybe except V, would be somewhere in the desert.

All this, just because Roy didn't assign Miko to help him against the assassins. Had Roy told the truth, I'm quite convinced Miko would find it her duty to go after the assassins (i.e. I believe she'd find herself obligated to protect the king of nowhere, even from potential threats despite the king not being present, since Azure city seems to be familiar with this person).

Then again, this is assuming a lot and even then the likelyness of all this is only on the fathomable low scale, yet it's not utterly only next to impossible.

No for that comes the next part.
What if Roy being honest with Miko in the Inn would somehow have changed her view about the oots? Yes this is really not very likely at all, especially considering this is Miko, but let's just assume it's the case.

Then I believe that:
1) Miko would not kill Shojo http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0406.html. This in itself may not be very likely, but at least it's possible that Miko would not conclude that Shojo were aware of Xykon advancing with his army, meaning Miko might have decided that Azure city were the priority and as such Shojo were of lower priority at the time. Sadly she connected those two events and I believe it was partly because of her dislike of oots and especially Roy.
2) Had Miko not killed Shojo, I find it plausible that she'd not have got to destroy the gate, since she'd probably have fallen in battle against Xykon before that. Then again, this is not something certain, Xykon seemed confident that he could even tell the paladins about destroying the gate, without it being a risk, but Miko was special, at least for a paladin.

Now that was the next to impossible what if...

Now to something completely different. I noticed Elan have more than once experienced the effect of poisoning:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0038.html
Heck he actually experienced the worst part of it himself:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0234.html

Yet first when he lost someone, he took a more serious attitude and prepared himself for this sort of thing, despite plenty of warning, if you ask me.

So what if Elan actually had looked more seriously on the effects of poisoning? My guess is that Therkla would be alive, but much more than that is hard to say.

So those were my "what if"'s :)

Manga Maniac
2011-09-23, 04:01 PM
What if one of the Order of the Scribble had never died and they never fell out?

faustin
2011-09-26, 02:57 PM
What if Belkar becomes a sort of amnesic undead Solomon Grundy style, one times helping his once companions, and another times fighting against them?

Ulysses WkAmil
2011-09-26, 04:46 PM
What if the MitD told Xykon that O'Chul was writing something down when O'Chul was captured, who wrote down Xykon's spell list, partial list of feats, ect., wrote down all of the *wrong* information, then during the next confrontation with the OOTS, Xykon fakes out the adventurers with different feats spells, kills, ect., therefore extening the plot (if the players escape) or ending the comic (crappily)?

Kish
2011-09-26, 05:25 PM
What if the MitD told Xykon that O'Chul was writing something down when O'Chul was captured, who wrote down Xykon's spell list, partial list of feats, ect., wrote down all of the *wrong* information, then during the next confrontation with the OOTS, Xykon fakes out the adventurers with different feats spells, kills, ect., therefore extening the plot (if the players escape) or ending the comic (crappily)?
How would Xykon fake having spells he didn't have? Or not having spells O'Chul saw him cast on O'Chul, for that matter?

Antonok
2011-09-26, 05:34 PM
How would Xykon fake having spells he didn't have? Or not having spells O'Chul saw him cast on O'Chul, for that matter?

Theres a feat, iirc, that lets you make a spellcraft check to try and make one spell look like another by using different somatic, verbal, etc components to throw off someone trying to counterspell you. As long as O'Chul didn't know what the specific spells looked like it could be possible.

Note: Its been a while since I've seen it, so I'm not too sure if it was a feat or what, but I DO remember seeing something like this.