PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon Map

valismedsen
2011-05-30, 03:52 PM
Hello, I'm new to the forum, and this is my very first message (but a long time fan of OOtS). I hope this is posted on the right section. :smallbiggrin:

My question is: I'm looking for a map or even dungeon ideas for a flooded or underwater dungeon crawl. Is there any that you people now?

dsmiles
2011-05-30, 04:00 PM
You can try this (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/mapper/launcher.htm) one. It only gives the option of crypt or sewer, but there's no reason a crypt can't be underwater. Drowned zombies, aquatic ghouls, there's all kinds of underwater undead. Alternatively, kuo-toa, or the home of a kraken, whatever...

Combat Reflexes
2011-05-31, 06:21 AM
EDIT: I was referencing the same link :smallbiggrin:
great map designer, that one. Really helps with the crunchy part of DMing.

UserClone
2011-05-31, 11:00 AM
Alertnatively... (http://rpgcharacters.wordpress.com/maps/)

dsmiles
2011-05-31, 11:07 AM
Bookmarked. :smallbiggrin:

jmelesky
2011-05-31, 12:01 PM
The random dungeon generator (http://donjon.bin.sh/d20/dungeon/) at donjon has "aquatic" as one of the dungeon motifs. That might work well for you.

I'd want to tinker with any randomly generated dungeon before running it, myself, but YMMV.

valismedsen
2011-05-31, 08:04 PM
Thanks everyone for the tips, and especially UserClone for the link. Loved the blog.

UserClone
2011-05-31, 10:27 PM
Thanks everyone for the tips, and especially UserClone for the link. Loved the blog.
You're welcome. It's awesome that people share their talents like that online. It's a great blog.

valismedsen
2011-06-01, 04:46 PM
Still, I'm sad that there's no ready aquatic/submerged/underwater dungeon in the mode of famous Dungeon Crawls like Tomb of Horrors... that's what I was looking for!

EccentricCircle
2011-06-01, 05:09 PM
take a look at a book called Stormwrack, its the D&D 3.5 source book on all things wet. A lot of the book deals with ships and sailing but the last chapter contains several adventure locations including a fair few underwater ones. i've not played any of the dungeons in there, so can't vouch for how good they are, but the book itself is really good for tips on aquatic adventure design etc.

also fun fact. the rules for drowning can be found on the final page of the dungeon masters guide.

i've just been running a game this evening where the party had to swim through the submerged entrance to a sea cave and reach the lair of some piratical undead. most of the dungeon is above water as they don't have access to magical water breathing stuff.

I've done a few games in the past in completely submerged dungeons and they can be fun, the inability of a character who is holding their breath to speak comes into play. (wizards will be out of spells). also fire and light can be very different in the deeps. I recomend having at least a few dry chambers within your dungeon so that they can rest and recuperate.
also theres a monster called the kelp angler, which I think is in fiend folio (if you use D&D) its basic modus operandi is grappling its opponants and trying to pin them under the water, this can lead to a very tense battle as they try to free their grappled friend from its grasp before their time runs out. fighting underwater is all about dragging things out so that the lenght of time the player characters can hold their breath (2 rounds per point of con) for expires. this is actually a really long time compared to the typical D&D combat so i'd start things with them already having had their breaths held for a few rounds before initiative is rolled.

one final point to note is that spell books, scrolls, parchments, treasure maps, letters from their employers etc don't do very well when submerged. the players can dry out their clothes easily enough, but they won't be able to take all of their gear with them into the depths. heavily armoured characters will also have to ditch their full plate which might put them at a bit of a disadvantage so be prepared for the party to be sub par even taking into account the unfamilier environment.

the next game I write is going to be set in the ruins of Atlantis. so i've been doing a fair bit of thinking about all of this!

dsmiles
2011-06-01, 05:28 PM
take a look at a book called Stormwrack, its the D&D 3.5 source book on all things wet.
I've always like the "environment" sourcebooks.

Stormwrack: It's Wet Outside!
Sandstorm: It's Hot Outside!
Frostburn: It's Cold Outside!
Cityscape: It's Urban Outside!
Dungeonscape: It's Not Outside!

valismedsen
2011-06-02, 09:31 PM
Many many many thanks, EccentricCircle!!!
I'll hunt Stormwrack down and take a look at it.
And thanks also for the tips, they are very well-thought!
:smallsmile:

EccentricCircle
2011-06-04, 06:06 AM
you are quite welcome. glad to be of assistance.