PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]The Scallywag (peach?)

Cipher Stars
2011-05-30, 04:43 PM
http://iphonewallpaperonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Pirate-Ship-Captain.jpg

The Scallywag
"I. Hate. You."
~Long John Knuckles, Pirate
"I know, Isn't it wonderful?"
~Marrian "Scarlet", Scallywag.

The Scallywag.
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+0|
Dodge, improbable maneuver, Booty Call

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+0|
Luck

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+1|
Skill

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+1|
Stature

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+1|
Strike 1d10, Parry

6th|
+4|
+2|
+5|
+2|
Dodge

7th|
+5|
+2|
+5|
+2|
Luck

8th|
+6/1|
+2|
+6|
+2|
Skill

9th|
+6/1|
+3|
+6|
+3|
Stature

10th|
+7/2|
+3|
+7|
+3|
Strike 2d10, Improbable Maneuver

11th|
+8/3|
+3|
+7|
+3|
Dodge

12th|
+9/4|
+4|
+8|
+4|
Luck

13th|
+9/4|
+4|
+8|
+4|
Skill

14th|
+10/5|
+4|
+9|
+4|
Stature

15th|
+11/6/1|
+5|
+9|
+5|
Strike 3d10, Parry

16th|
+12/7/2|
+5|
+10|
+5|
Dodge

17th|
+13/8/3|
+5|
+10|
+5|
Luck

18th|
+13/8/3|
+6|
+11|
+6|
Skill

19th|
+14/9/4|
+6|
+11|
+6|
Stature

20th|
+15/10/5|
+6|
+12|
+6|
Strike 4d10, Improbable Maneuver, Booty Call[/table]
Hit Die:
d8

Skills:
6+int mod (x4 first level)

Class Skills:
Appraise, Balance, Bluff, Climb, Decipher Script, Disable Device, Disguise, Escape Artist, Forgery, Gather Information, Hide, Jump, Knowledge (Local), Listen, Move Silently, Open Lock, Perform, Profession, Sense Motive, Slight of Hand, Spot, Swim, Tumble, Use Rope.

Alignment:
Scallywags are typically Chaotic Neutral or Chaotic Good, or Neutral evil.

Class Features:

Weapons and Armor:
Scallywags are proficient with Light armor, small shields, Simple and Martial weapons.

Scallywags Dodge:
"Hold Still dammit!" Scallywags are annoyingly hard to hit. They gain a Dodge bonus to AC against attacks they are aware of at the following modifiers and bonus features:

1: +1 Evasion (ex) a Scallywag can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If she makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the rogue is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless rogue does not gain the benefit of evasion.
6: +2, Uncanny Dodge (ex) a scallywag can react to danger before her senses would normally allow her to do so. She retains her Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if she is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, she still loses her Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.
11: +4 Improved Evasion (ex) This ability works like evasion, except that while the Scallywag still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks henceforth she takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless scallywag does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.
16: +8 Improved Uncanny Dodge (ex) a Scallywag can no longer be flanked. This defense denies a rogue the ability to sneak attack the barbarian by flanking him, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target has scallywag levels. If a character already has uncanny dodge from a second class, the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead, and the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum level a rogue must be to flank the character.

Scallywags Luck:
"Bull$%@&"! Scallywags seem to hog all the luck, the bastards. A number of times a day equal to the luck bonus, they may reroll a failed roll, though they must take the second result even if the result is much worse. Luck bonus roll only effects Once per roll (you cannot spend them all at once)
They gain a special Luck based features at the following levels:

2: 2 Luck bonus.Lucky action gain +4 initiative
7: 4 Luck bonus. Lucky timing In melee, every time you miss because of concealment, you can reroll your miss chance percentile roll one time to see if you actually hit. An invisible attacker gets no advantages related to hitting you in melee. That is, you don’t lose your Dexterity bonus to Armor Class, and the attacker doesn’t get the usual +2 bonus for being invisible. The invisible attacker’s bonuses do still apply for ranged attacks, however. You take only half the usual penalty to speed for being unable to see. Darkness and poor visibility in general reduces your speed to three-quarters normal, instead of one-half.
12: 5 Luck bonus. Superior lucky action +4 more initiative.
17: 7 Luck bonus. Lucky reflexes +2 to reflexes

Scallywags Skill:
"So, the scallywag isn't all a fluke..." Scallywags are skilled, they gain the following bonuses to add where they choose as long as its a class skill. They may add each bonuses to four skills. Listed bonuses are not the same, but are different bonuses that can be added.

3: +4 Skill Mastery: You choose two class skills, you can now always take 10 on them.
8: +8 Stealthy: +2 hide and move silently. In the middle of combat you can make a hide check, if you succeed you are considered to be flanking the target for your attack.
13 : +10 Skill Mastery: Chose two more class skills, you can now always take 10 on them
18: +20 Persuasive:+2 bluff and intimidate. You can make a bluff check in the middle of combat, if you succeed you get to make an immediate attack of opportunity to which they are considered flat footed.

Scallywags Stature:
"Damn, I'd tap that." Scallywags fine tune their bodies to perform the things they do. It also tends to help cool those who are mad they lost a game of cards. They gain bonus HP at each stature level listed bonuses are not total, they are in addition to previous. Also, if you use it. They also gain +1 Appearance stat at each Stature level.

4: +4 hp, Combat Reflexes: You may make a number of additional attacks of opportunity equal to your Dexterity bonus. With this feat, you may also make attacks of opportunity while flat-footed.
9: +9 hp, Endurance You gain a +4 bonus on the following checks and saves: Swim checks made to resist nonlethal damage, Constitution checks made to continue running, Constitution checks made to avoid nonlethal damage from a forced march, Constitution checks made to hold your breath, Constitution checks made to avoid nonlethal damage from starvation or thirst, Fortitude saves made to avoid nonlethal damage from hot or cold environments, and Fortitude saves made to resist damage from suffocation. Also, you may sleep in light or medium armor without becoming fatigued.
14: +14 hp, Run When running, you move five times your normal speed (if wearing medium, light, or no armor and carrying no more than a medium load) or four times your speed (if wearing heavy armor or carrying a heavy load). If you make a jump after a running start (see the Jump skill description), you gain a +4 bonus on your Jump check. While running, you retain your Dexterity bonus to AC.
19: +19 hp, Die Hard When reduced to between -1 and -9 hit points, you automatically become stable. You don’t have to roll d% to see if you lose 1 hit point each round. When reduced to negative hit points, you may choose to act as if you were disabled, rather than dying. You must make this decision as soon as you are reduced to negative hit points (even if it isn’t your turn). If you do not choose to act as if you were disabled, you immediately fall unconscious. When using this feat, you can take either a single move or standard action each turn, but not both, and you cannot take a full round action. You can take a move action without further injuring yourself, but if you perform any standard action (or any other action deemed as strenuous, including some free actions, swift actions, or immediate actions, such as casting a quickened spell) you take 1 point of damage after completing the act. If you reach -10 hit points, you immediately die.

Scallywags strike:
"Why would you..." Scallywags like to take advantage of foes, they don't care if they hurt themselves in the process. They deal a number of extra damage as they do unexpected stunts to hit'em where it hurts. They deal 1d4 damage to themselves for each extra die in the attack roll from Strike in addition to bonus damage from the weapon, such as a flaming weapons fire damage. Strike's damage however, is multiplied on a critical as if part of base damage die. Scallywag's strike can be used when grappled or in similar circumstance.

5: 2d10 (1d4 self) Power Attack: On your action, before making attack rolls for a round, you may choose to subtract a number from all melee attack rolls and add the same number to all melee damage rolls. This number may not exceed your base attack bonus. The penalty on attacks and bonus on damage apply until your next turn.
10: 4d10 (2d4 self) Cleave: if you deal a creature enough damage to make it drop (typically by dropping it to below 0 hit points or killing it), you get an immediate, extra melee attack against another creature within reach. You cannot take a 5-foot step before making this extra attack. The extra attack is with the same weapon and at the same bonus as the attack that dropped the previous creature. You can use this ability once per round.
15: 6d10 (3d4 self) Improved Sunder: When you strike at an object held or carried by an opponent (such as a weapon or shield), you do not provoke an attack of opportunity. You also gain a +4 bonus on any attack roll made to attack an object held or carried by another character.
20: 8d10 (4d4 self) Great cleave: This feat works like Cleave, except that there is no limit to the number of times you can use it per round.

Parry:
The Scallywag makes an attack roll against an attack as an immediate interrupt after the attack roll is made, if she out does it, the attack is negated. Must be armed though. Suffers a -5 against ranged attacks.
Lv 15: Scallywag can Parry magical attacks making an attack roll against their save DC +5(to the DC) or their attack roll (for touch attacks and rays, ect) Must be using a magic weapon though. No effect on Area spells.
Using Parry uses one of your attacks. Thus if you parry with only a +5 mod, you cannot attack when your turn comes around, nor can you parry further attacks.

Improbable Maneuver:
The Scallywag pulls off almost magical stunts.
At level 1, she can use Blink a number of times per day equal to her charisma score.
At level 10, she can use Displacement a number of times per day equal to her Charisma score. Blink becomes at will.
At level 20, she can also use Teleport at a range equal to her speed +charisma modifier (1point Cha mod =+5ft) a number of times per day equal to her charisma score.
Displacement becomes at will.

Booty Call:
The Scallywag knows the location of all non magical valuables within Cha mod x20 ft.
at level twenty, she knows the location of all valuables, even magical, within Cha mod x100 ft and can call non magical items to her as a standard action, doesn't effect held items. Called Items gather in a location you desire, or as close as possible. They move towards desired location with a hovering speed of 100 ft a round.

Cipher Stars
2011-05-30, 06:04 PM
You know, I'd really like feedback on how to improve the class... I may be turning out quite a few classes within a small time, But I assure you They are all serious.

LOTRfan
2011-05-30, 06:14 PM
... Its only been two hours since you've posted. :smallconfused:

Anyway, what tier are you aiming for? What class should we be comparing this to?

Cipher Stars
2011-05-30, 06:25 PM
... Its only been two hours since you've posted. :smallconfused:

Anyway, what tier are you aiming for? What class should we be comparing this to?

Really? I feels like six...

I can never really answer those questions. I just make things. I don't think to compare them or build them against something.

Maybe... Swashbucker?
No, The Swashbucker class is retarded. This fix is awesome though: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155012
but its rude to compare homebrews against homebrews, and I intend for this to be something LIKE a swashbucker, but not.

Maybe Rogue or Ninja.

Elfstone
2011-05-30, 06:28 PM
I feel like scallywag strike makes them look clumsy, and as if they hurt themselves while trying to hurt you. Like the iconic Barbarian does. (well, not really, but you get my point)

Also, Your formatting is a bit weird. And rather hard to follow in some places. Especially Scallywat stature, I mean, really, why do you have toughness listed at every level? Bewilders me.

Cipher Stars
2011-05-30, 06:40 PM
I feel like scallywag strike makes them look clumsy, and as if they hurt themselves while trying to hurt you. Like the iconic Barbarian does. (well, not really, but you get my point)

More like the BBEG has the Scallywag grappled from behind and the Scallywag stabs herself to run him through.

Also, Your formatting is a bit weird. And rather hard to follow in some places. Especially Scallywat stature, I mean, really, why do you have toughness listed at every level? Bewilders me.

Formatting weird?

Toughness is listed at every level because thats the bonus, just +3 hp. I guess I could just say +3 hp... Ya I'll do that.
anyway, they gain the toughness benefits at each Stature level in replacement of the benefits that the others have, such as Bonus points for Luck or something.

Elfstone
2011-05-30, 07:29 PM
Might wanna clarify parry. When is this attack roll made, what type of action does it take, and does it take an attack from his/her interative attacks?

Cipher Stars
2011-05-30, 08:01 PM
fix 'd

Elfstone
2011-05-30, 08:14 PM
I don't really see any reason the scallywag shouldn't be full BAB. It only has one good save, and uses d8s... No class ability is powerful enough warrenting it being brought down, and if you want it to be able to parry often, I would suggest raising its BAB. Any particular reason you didn't make it full?

Anyone else want to chime in?

Cipher Stars
2011-05-30, 08:23 PM
I don't really see any reason the scallywag shouldn't be full BAB. It only has one good save, and uses d8s... No class ability is powerful enough warrenting it being brought down, and if you want it to be able to parry often, I would suggest raising its BAB. Any particular reason you didn't make it full?

Lot of features?

Raising BAB now. I've thought about it several times.

Zaydos
2011-05-30, 09:13 PM

Possibly the +7 luck bonus to all attack rolls and Reflex saves, and nebulous Luck based effects. That shouldn't be coupled with a good BAB (probably should be reduced with a good Reflex too).

Also everything is arguably luck based so what is intended by luck based should be better defined.

Cipher Stars
2011-05-30, 09:49 PM
Possibly the +7 luck bonus to all attack rolls and Reflex saves, and nebulous Luck based effects. That shouldn't be coupled with a good BAB (probably should be reduced with a good Reflex too).

Also everything is arguably luck based so what is intended by luck based should be better defined.

Luck based events" Was referring to things like "Do you find anything in the chest?" or "Do you get the girl?"
or untrained skills or skills less ranks then the luck bonus. (but they don't count as "ranks" for purposes relating to that.)
With your negative, vs the positive. the position on BAB is at 0. If someone else says full BAB is bad then its back down a notch.

Elfstone
2011-05-30, 09:53 PM
Right, but once again this is only slightly above the rouge, as those luck events balance out the lack of bonus damage (Im counting the damage to ones self as a balance to even the scales on that ability, removing it from the equation)

Zaydos
2011-05-30, 09:57 PM
Luck based events" Was referring to things like "Do you find anything in the chest?" or "Do you get the girl?"
or untrained skills or skills less ranks then the luck bonus. (but they don't count as "ranks" for purposes relating to that.)
With your negative, vs the positive. the position on BAB is at 0. If someone else says full BAB is bad then its back down a notch.

I would advice instead of granting a luck bonus to attack rolls upping BAB to full, and giving them some other ability that is based on luck which isn't directly bigger numbers.

Bigger numbers are very bad for balance, it's better to think of unique and interesting abilities which are also useful for combat and give more options.

For example possibly an ability to re-roll attack rolls/reflex saves X times per day instead of a luck bonus to all rolls.

If you intend it to work on untrained skills you need to clear up the wording a good bit, and as for other luck based effects seeing as how there are no rules for them it's a little hard to judge it. Personally I'd reduce the bonus on that a lot (mine tend to be roll a d20 no mods; with +7 making bad into meh, meh into good, and good into OMG game break).

Also note as written this class actually heavily favors big two-handed weapons over traditional pirate weapons.

Right, but once again this is only slightly above the rouge, as those luck events balance out the lack of bonus damage (Im counting the damage to ones self as a balance to even the scales on that ability, removing it from the equation)

No where near a balance to even because 1) you have the choice to use it only when you want to; 2) it gives a lot more damage than it loses. Also +12 better to hit, and an extra attack each round, makes a big difference (24 damage with 2-handed power attack; or +7d6, non-precision damage).

Also note they have 8 hp shy of d12 HD thanks to the stature ability.

Oh and +8 to their AC compared to rogues. In combat they laugh at rogues and take their stuff. Rogues have 1 combat advantage Use Magic Device as a class skill.

Elfstone
2011-05-30, 10:07 PM
If you read the ruling on the attack for extra damage, if you miss, you still take the damage. Id say that enough to equal it out.

However, I agree that MOAR NUMBERS =/= More fun. Adding something more fluff-ful might be better, or lowering the luck bonuses.

However in no way is the class overpowered. I draw the line there.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-05-31, 12:08 AM
Initial fluff is kind of uninspiring.

*table, HD, skills, saves*

Skill looks very broad for a good BAB class, although the d8 also sticks out, being a bit low. Two extra skill points are definitely worth more than an the 1 HP lost from going down to a d8 from a d10.

Alignment should really only be mentioned if it is a requirement.

Weapons and Armor:
Scallywags are proficient with Light armor, small shields, Simple and Martial weapons.

Appropriate for something like a Swashbuckler.

Scallywags Dodge:
"Hold Still dammit!" Scallywags are annoyingly hard to hit. They gain a Dodge bonus against attacks they are aware of at the following modifiers and bonus features:

1: +1 Evasion
6: +2, Uncanny Dodge
11: +4 Improved Evasion
16: +8 Improved Uncanny Dodge

What do these bonuses go to? What do they do? These aren't listed. It's like saying you have +2 to banana: it doesn't exist and means nothing. Evasion at first level is fine, if unstandard. The rest of the class feature listed here are whatever and in a nonstandard manner. Consider simply listing things separately and at each level appropriate and just throw that in a new class feature tab. You should also say that the class features are as X or simply copypasta them. For example, mettle isn't always the same. For some classes it only works against spells, others work against all save-effects.

Scallywags Luck:
"Bull$%@&"! Scallywags seem to hog all the luck, the bastards. They gain a special Luck based features at the following levels:

2: +2 Luck bonus. A number of times a day equal to the luck bonus, they may reroll a failed roll, though they must take the second result even if the result is much worse. Luck bonus roll only effects Once per roll (you cannot spend them all at once)
7: +4 Luck bonus. Blind Fight
12: +5 Luck bonus. Diligent
17: +7 Luck bonus. Iron Will

As on the dodge class feature, say what these feats are or that they even are feats. Also, the luck bonus doesn't do anything other than give rerolls for... something? You should mention what the rolls go to. As is, this is poor, vague design.

Scallywags Skill:
"So, the scallywag isn't all a fluke..." Scallywags are skilled, they gain the following bonuses to add where they choose as long as its a class feature. They may add the bonuses to four skills. Listed bonuses are not the same, but are different bonuses that can be added.

3: +2 Skill Mastery (any two)
8: +4 Stealthy
13 : +5 Self Sufficient
18: +7 Persuasive

Again, what does this mean? This means nothing. As it is right now, it sounds like you just add more numbers to luck rerolls, because, really, those are super strong, and getting an extra 7 of those is incredibly strong, especially when they go to everything? The skills listed are, well, bad.

Again, be more in depth in writing the class, don't leave these sort of holes present.

Scallywags Stature:
"Damn, I'd tap that." Scallywags fine tune their bodies to perform the things they do. It also tends to help cool those who are mad they lost a game of cards. They gain bonus HP at each stature level listed bonuses are not total, they are in addition to previous. Also, if you use it. They also gain +1 Appearance stat at each Stature level.

4: +4 hp, Attractive, Run
9: +9 hp, Combat Reflexes
14: +14 hp, Great Fortitude
19: +19 hp, Endurance

Appearance is not a stat, at least, in core. The bonus HP are cute, but don't really do anything. You may as well just give them a higher HD, since that's what it basically boils down to. Also, again, these feats are (with the exception of Combat Reflexes) terrible.

Scallywags strike:
"Why would you..." Scallywags like to take advantage of foes, they don't care if they hurt themselves in the process. They deal a number of extra damage as they do unexpected stunts to hit'em where it hurts. They deal 1d4 damage to themselves for each extra die in the attack roll from Strike in addition to bonus damage from the weapon, such as a flaming weapons fire damage. Strike's damage however, is multiplied on a critical.

5: 1d10 (1d4 self) Power Attack
10: 2d10 (2d4 self) Cleave
15: 3d10 (3d4 self) Great cleave
20: 4d10 (4d4 self) Improved Bull Rush

This style of listing is annoying. The feats are, well, basically locked in bonus fighter feats, but a lot of them. The multiplication on crits is odd, too. Not a solid "against the rules" odd, just nonstandard again. The text makes it sound like you add bonus dice based on weapon type, rather than the flat d10s present in the list. Consider revising.

Parry:
The Scallywag makes an attack roll against an attack as an immediate interrupt after the attack roll is made, if she out does it, the attack is negated. Must be armed though. Suffers a -5 against ranged attacks.
Lv 15: Scallywag can Parry magical attacks making an attack roll against their save DC +5(to the DC) or their attack roll (for touch attacks and rays, ect) Must be using a magic weapon though. No effect on Area spells.
Using Parry uses one of your attacks. Thus if you parry with only a +5 mod, you cannot attack when your turn comes around, nor can you parry further attacks.

Interrupt isn't a thing: the word you're looking for is "action." The scaling on it is interesting, but odd. The language could use a bit of work, though, as it is rather staggered. There is also an issue in that attack rolls can scale rather high compared to most everything else, so consider an alternative to using that against a save. Having it eat up an actual attack is nonsensical and annoying.

Improbable Maneuver:
The Scallywag pulls off almost magical stunts. at level 10, she can use Blink a number of times per day equal to her Charisma score.
At level 20, she can also use Teleport at a range equal to her speed +charisma modifier (1point Cha mod =5ft)

How are these spells done? As SLAs? As spells? Psionic powers? What? How long do they last? What is the caster level? This is really open ended, and it shouldn't be. Assuming as SLAs with CL equal to character level, at 20th, this is kind of underwhelming.

Booty Call:
The Scallywag knows the location of all non magical valuables within Cha mod x20 ft.
at level twenty, she knows the location of all valuables, even magical, within Cha mod x100 ft and can call non magical items to her as a standard action, doesn't effect held items. Called Items gather in a location you desire, or as close as possible. They move towards desired location with a hovering speed of 100 ft a round.

You should describe valuable for this. Even so, I find it odd how even a first level Scallywag will know basically everything of worth when he or she enters a bar. The 20th level bump to it is odd and similarly bizarre. Consider revising.

Cipher Stars
2011-05-31, 12:23 AM
A lot of what you said is stuff thats already explained, even in the quote...

"Dodge bonus" I'm pretty sure theres only one such thing, Dodge in your AC.

Skill, it says right there the bonuses go to skills.

Stature: I said "If you use it".

Parry: I'll think of something in alternative when going against Save based spells. Or not have it against save based spells at all.

Improbable: Yea, that looks like laziness on my part. Fixing.

But there are several points I should clarify as well, the feats. I should probably link'em or something.

Booty Call: Its not a "bump" exactly, its a twenty level progression.
Parry and improbable are 10 level progressions.
the others are five level progressions.

NeoSeraphi
2011-05-31, 12:27 AM
I suggest adding Trapfinding to the class features...The Disable Device skill is seriously weakened by the "only non-magical traps" clause, and Searching for traps becomes pretty impossible as if the DC is higher than 20 you automatically fail if you don't have Trapfinding (And all the traps you want to disable have a Search DC higher than 20)

I'm pretty sure every class that actually has Disable Device as a class skill (Minus Factotum and other classes that have all skills as class skills) have trapfinding as a class feature because of how that rule works. (Rogue, Beguiler, Scout, Ninja, Spellthief, etc)

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-05-31, 12:31 AM
"Dodge bonus" I'm pretty sure theres only one such thing, Dodge in your AC.

Then simply say it is such. "You gain a dodge bonus to your AC. The bonus is whatever at level X, whatever+ at level Y... etc."

Skill, it says right there the bonuses go to skills.

Then what does "Scallywags are skilled, they gain the following bonuses to add where they choose as long as its a class feature." mean? You're now saying those bonuses are to 4 skills of the player's choose, but that is something very different. Be more precise in your language, because, right now, it is rather staggered and unprofessional.

Booty Call: Its not a "bump" exactly, its a twenty level progression.
Parry and improbable are 10 level progressions.
the others are five level progressions.

Booty Call exists as a 1st and 20th level ability. I called it a "bump," because the base ability is "bumped" up at level 20. The rest of the progressions are obvious if uninspiring and just sort of there.

EDIT: Honestly, this is a hodgepodge of random abilities and feats with no real focus or design. It gains a skirmish like ability, but gains locked in feats. It has parry, about the only thing unique to the class itself, but something easily replicated via a number of different maneuvers. When I look at this class, I honestly feel it would simply be easier to roll up a Swashbuckler instead for that sort of character archetype simply because it lacks, well, anything that sticks out as a defining feature.

Cipher Stars
2011-05-31, 12:36 AM
Nah. Not quite the direction I'm going with it. Trapfinding is best left with the Rogues and Ninjas. Disable Device is more for things like Sabotage, not traps.

Cipher Stars
2011-05-31, 12:44 AM
Then simply say it is such. "You gain a dodge bonus to your AC. The bonus is whatever at level X, whatever+ at level Y... etc."

as if "against attacks you are aware of" wasn't hint enough.

Then what does "Scallywags are skilled, they gain the following bonuses to add where they choose as long as its a class feature." mean? You're now saying those bonuses are to 4 skills of the player's choose, but that is something very different. Be more precise in your language, because, right now, it is rather staggered and unprofessional.

Simple typo between the words features and skills.

Dryad
2011-05-31, 04:50 AM
as if "against attacks you are aware of" wasn't hint enough.
No. It isn't. Because a 'bonus to AC against attacks you are aware of' stacks with otherwise procured dodge bonusses.

I agree with the Thrice Dead Cat on his issue with your phrasing; it really does need some work. You're not explaining many of the abilities you gave this class; just mentioning that they're there, and it's up to us to figure out what it means.

I also think a lot of this class' abilities are... Weird and unwarranted, while a lot of things I would associate with a scallywag are not there. However, this is due to personal feel and preference, so it's not much of a point.

Provided the luck bonus adds to attack rolls, I would personally lower the BaB to 3/4 in order to prevent turning your effective class attack bonus into 27/20.

Cipher Stars
2011-06-06, 12:51 AM
Scallywag has been fixed.

You say a lot you would associate with a scallywag is not here, so do share.

Zaydos
2011-06-06, 12:56 AM
Well personally I'd say a preference for light weapons, rapiers, and scimitars. As written they get Power Attack as a bonus feat, an ability to make power attacking easier (+7 Luck bonus) and no reason to wield light/one-handed weapons instead of two-handed great-axes.

Also as a note Dodge bonuses stack with other Dodge bonuses, they're a specific exemption to the normal stacking rules.

Cipher Stars
2011-06-06, 01:23 AM
Well personally I'd say a preference for light weapons, rapiers, and scimitars. As written they get Power Attack as a bonus feat, an ability to make power attacking easier (+7 Luck bonus) and no reason to wield light/one-handed weapons instead of two-handed great-axes.

Also as a note Dodge bonuses stack with other Dodge bonuses, they're a specific exemption to the normal stacking rules.

Preference for light weapons rapiers and scimitars?
remove simple and martial weapon proficiency with Simple and light weapon proficiency?

Scallywags aren't necessarily Light weapon users in any case.
They are often seen with axes or generally any weapon they get their hands on that they like.

Dryad
2011-06-06, 08:12 AM
Things I would associate with a scallywag that aren't there:
Some kind of social skill trickery with diplomacy/bluff, a sneak attack progression (weaker than the rogue's, but still), some special attacks that require an acrobatics check, some sea-faring bonusses like profession: Sailor, Use Rope etcetera, and maybe some extra special attacks that make use of these skills.

To me, a scallywag is basically a kind of endearing, rogue-ish tongue-in-cheek pirate. That's what I meant with 'personal preference.'

Gideon Falcon
2011-06-06, 02:25 PM
What exactly is this 'appearance' stat?

Cipher Stars
2011-06-06, 03:45 PM
What exactly is this 'appearance' stat?

Book of Erotic Fantasy >_>

Dryad, Scallywags have Scallywag's strike. Scallywags aren't sneaky, they're showy and do anything to get a job done whether it be stabbing through their own gut to get an an opponents heart or bedding that stubborn noble.

I'll add more skill based maneuvers/tricks though.
And clarify that scallywags can use scallywag strike when grappled.

Cipher Stars
2011-06-06, 11:13 PM
So. I'm to assume this, (as well as all my other classes no one is commenting on)
is/are complete?

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-06-06, 11:24 PM
So. I'm to assume this, (as well as all my other classes no one is commenting on)
is/are complete?

If it's homebrew, it's not "complete" till it gets published.:smalltongue: That said, it's done whenever you think it is done, really.

That being said, looking at it, it still lacks focus and has a ton of options littered around for free. The luck bonuses to everything encourage going more attacks/round, but this gives power attack for free... and it is just a mess with one set of class features developing into something completely different ~10 levels later because of something we're not seeing.

"Paths" are an idea you could use. You could try to make a "lucky" scallywag, a "rough and tough" scallywag, or a more traditional "rogue" scallywag. As is, right now, they are just a collection of bonuses, feats and feat-like abilities thrown together with little cause.

A note of the feats: when giving feats that are commonly available (that is to say, core or SRD-based) you may as well just say "A scallywag gains Power Attack as a bonus feat at level X." If it is a feat from a noncore source, cite where it can be found. For an ability that looks like a feat, you should mention such or make your explanations more precise in form. A few of the luck things looked like luck feats for a second, but then I realize no such abilities existed previously.

And really, that last line there is all about homebrewing.

Cipher Stars
2011-06-06, 11:37 PM
If it's homebrew, it's not "complete" till it gets published.:smalltongue: That said, it's done whenever you think it is done, really.

That being said, looking at it, it still lacks focus and has a ton of options littered around for free. The luck bonuses to everything encourage going more attacks/round, but this gives power attack for free... and it is just a mess with one set of class features developing into something completely different ~10 levels later because of something we're not seeing.

"Paths" are an idea you could use. You could try to make a "lucky" scallywag, a "rough and tough" scallywag, or a more traditional "rogue" scallywag. As is, right now, they are just a collection of bonuses, feats and feat-like abilities thrown together with little cause.

A note of the feats: when giving feats that are commonly available (that is to say, core or SRD-based) you may as well just say "A scallywag gains Power Attack as a bonus feat at level X." If it is a feat from a noncore source, cite where it can be found. For an ability that looks like a feat, you should mention such or make your explanations more precise in form. A few of the luck things looked like luck feats for a second, but then I realize no such abilities existed previously.

And really, that last line there is all about homebrewing.

What about the luck bonuses? Those are just numbers stating how many times a day you can re roll an unwanted die.

Zaydos
2011-06-06, 11:43 PM
If they're just daily uses then why do they list +X?

Normally +# means you're adding it to something, if it's just uses per day just list 2 luck re-rolls per day or some such without the + and it would be much clearer.

Also it might be a memory of when they were bonuses to attack rolls, AC, reflex, and "luck rolls".

Cipher Stars
2011-06-07, 12:32 AM
If they're just daily uses then why do they list +X?

Normally +# means you're adding it to something, if it's just uses per day just list 2 luck re-rolls per day or some such without the + and it would be much clearer.

Fixed .

Debihuman
2011-06-07, 10:40 AM
You know, I'd really like feedback on how to improve the class... I may be turning out quite a few classes within a small time, But I assure you They are all serious.

Well for one thing you could write out the abilities more fully so you don't have to refer to the paragraph above for reference. It is indicates a certain amount of laziness on a writer's part to take such shortcuts. Also, putting text in small font makes it harder to read. Do the Dodge bonuses stack or increase at each level?

This is an example of how to fix your writing: I was lazy and just referenced as a rogue but you could spell out the special ability fully.

At 1st level, a scallywag gains a +1 Dodge bonus to AC and gains Evasion as a rogue. A scallywag can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If she makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the scallywag is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless scallywag does not gain the benefit of evasion.

At 6th level, the Scallywag's Dodge bonus to AC increases to +2 and she gains Uncanny Dodge...

At 11th level, the Scallywag's Dodge bonus increases to +4 and she gains Improved Evasion...

At 16th level, the Scallywag's Dodge bonus increases to +8 and she gains Improved Uncanny Dodge...

If you give out a bonus to AC or to a save or whatever and a special ability, the special ability should still be listed separately in the chart.

Debby