PDA

View Full Version : Room Awkwardness

CynicalAvocado
2011-05-30, 07:53 PM
does anyone else get a really awkward feeling when you go into a room that you haven't been in for a while? for example, my visiting older brother went back to colorado today and he was staying in my room so i had to sleep upstairs with my younger brother. now that i'm back in my room i cant help but notice that something feels a bit off.... like, i know it's my room, but it doesn't feel like my room anymore.

any of you guys/gals get that feeling?

rayne_dragon
2011-05-30, 08:14 PM
I totally get this feeling. Especially whenever I visit a room that used to be mine, but isn't really currently mine. Visiting my mum's place is always a little strange since my old room never feels like its mine anymore.

AsteriskAmp
2011-05-30, 08:16 PM
Not really, but I never associate rooms with people or myself, I just sort them into two categories banned space and accessible.

CynicalAvocado
2011-05-30, 08:16 PM
yeah, i keep expecting him to walk in and say he's staying for another week....:smallfrown:

and he left the bed unmade which doesn't comply with the whole leaving for another few years thing

Stadge
2011-05-31, 06:38 PM
A little bit, I get it when going home in the breaks after having my uni room. Last year was alright as my in-College room was tiny, but this year with my huge room it's been really weird heading back home. Not having the room to pace, or having a fridge and coffee machine makes it very strange.

In uni I had a similiar thing at the start of this term, as my girlfriend and my friend switched rooms, which made it feel really odd when I was stopping over as it kind of felt like, 'Wait! Why am I in Mick's room? Oh, right, they switched..'

GrlumpTheElder
2011-05-31, 07:25 PM
When coming home from uni, my room seems weird. I'm usually at home just long enough so it feels normal again, then I head back up to uni and my room there feels like a shoebox...

Haruki-kun
2011-05-31, 10:32 PM
When I get home from Uni. Although... even more noticeably, when I move from one room to another. After I'm done packing, the empty room looks almost like I haven't been living in it for the past 6 months. :smalleek:

Salbazier
2011-05-31, 10:47 PM
I've only come home once since I went to univ, so I can't really tell. I a way I suppose it does, since my mom change the arrangement of stuffs beside books regularly. On the other hand, as long the books stay, its still feel quite comfy and homey to me.

Lady Moreta
2011-06-01, 02:09 AM
I get like that when I go home to my parents place. I haven't really lived at home in roughly 10 years (going home for summer while at uni doesn't really count as 'living at home'). Especially now that I live in another country, it feels really weird going back home. The rest of the house is fine, feels the way it always did. But my old room? Feels really odd. And it's even still full of most of my crap!

In my case though, I think it's because I'm married now, so, as in the last time we went home, my husband and I had to shove the two single beds in my old room together so we could y'know, sleep together. Having someone else in the room with me felt really bizarre.

grimbold
2011-06-01, 11:58 AM
I totally get this feeling. Especially whenever I visit a room that used to be mine, but isn't really currently mine. Visiting my mum's place is always a little strange since my old room never feels like its mine anymore.

i definitely get this
this is why i do not visit my childhood home

jumpywinghim
2011-06-02, 10:58 AM
Hmm...I get this feeling if I haven't labelled the room as 'mine'. If a room has been declared mine, then I'm fully comfortable in it at all times, even if I've been gone for a while and return to it.
Whenever I give up a room to someone else, though, it's their room and not mine, so I then feel a little weird being there. When I officially get it back, I do an internal "YES it's all mine!" and its like the other person was never there.

It gets a little weird with family hotel rooms, cause I then somehow consider the ENTIRE thing to in some way belong to me as well as the rest of the family, so I can always feel at ease in it (as well as in any of the beds, funnily enough).

CynicalAvocado
2011-06-03, 09:09 PM
hell, i feel more at home in my room at my grandpa's house than i do at my house

Dvandemon
2011-06-04, 02:56 PM
Does feeling like everyone hates you when entering a new classroom count?

DraPrime
2011-06-04, 03:20 PM
I kind of had this, but for slightly more elaborate reasons. At the end of my junior year in high school I moved out of my mom's house into my dad's house, taking all my stuff with me, thus leaving my old room very empty. I didn't live there for the rest of high school, and the last year has been spent living in a seminary. When I came back to stay with my mom for the beginning of my summer vacation it just felt weird. The whole room looked empty without my familiar stuff, and I hadn't slept in it regularly in almost two years.

Uiriamu
2011-06-05, 06:01 PM
Not sure.. :smallconfused:

Dvandemon
2011-06-05, 07:59 PM
Uh...who are you talking to?

Amiel
2011-06-05, 08:32 PM
Your room will be forever inedibly imprinted with the presence of your older brother :p

I've yet to experience that feeling (for which I am thankful); a cousin only occassioned my room, so the feeling of non-belongingness had yet to ensue.

CynicalAvocado
2011-06-06, 04:52 AM
Your room will be forever inedibly imprinted with the presence of your older brother :p

I've yet to experience that feeling (for which I am thankful); a cousin only occassioned my room, so the feeling of non-belongingness had yet to ensue.

yeah, he wore his boots to bed one day and scuffed my wall