PDA

View Full Version : Char Op Help! [Star Wars / PF3.5]

WeeFreeMen
2011-05-30, 08:18 PM
Hello all! I once again seek the wisdom of the boards here. I am creating my first "Star Wars D20" character and I have no Idea whats out there as far as Content.

My current Character is a "Wookie" "Jedi Guardian" with the following stats
Str: 20
Con: 16
Dex 12
Wis 15
Int 12
Cha 18

I wish for this character to use the Force in an Intimidating manner, he will prolly LEAN towards the dark side. He will be focused on Intimidate skill wise and will be the Tank/Bruiser of the party.
Currently, I need help on feat selection, I have some PF3.5 ones in mind, they are Rage/Intimidate oriented.

tl;dr: Help me find feats for a Tank/Brusier, Wookie Jedi Guardian. :]
dont worry about specific level of PC, just throw me some ideas

WeeFreeMen
2011-05-31, 11:20 AM
Really? O.o Not a single reply?! Has the Forums of GITP finally failed me? :<

Vendevor
2011-05-31, 11:22 AM
lol well i didnt know about a star wars dnd game

Mutazoia
2011-05-31, 11:37 AM
Well which version are you playing? the Standard D20 version or the Saga edition?

Velaryon
2011-05-31, 02:09 PM
We need to know which edition you are playing before we can give proper advice. Whether you are using the original Star Wars d20 rules, Revised rules, or Saga makes a great deal of difference to the advice we can offer.

If you don't know the edition:
Does the Core book look like this (http://www.jediacademy.info/images/StarWarsRPG.jpg) or like this (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51SGqZqDXlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg)?

WeeFreeMen
2011-05-31, 04:48 PM
He gave me almost 20 books that are "Star Wars D20" related. However, there is 1 in there that has the cover of the 1st HTML link you linked.

Sorry for the late responses guys, I am out of town and on a wacky schedule.
Any help is appreciated. :smallsmile:

AFS
2011-05-31, 08:46 PM
The first link would be the revised core rules. Once I opened my Saga books I never looked back on rcr. Invest in Saga. If the rcr rules are all you have you are going to find it hard to find help.

I can dig them out for you if that is all you have.

60 point buy? Should be fun. The dice were lucky for you.

EDIT
Ok I was bored and started remembering how much a pain rcr was. I made a level 1 guardian with the stats you provided and was able to get a +15 on intimidation. Skill emphasis is a great feat for boosting a skill.

Velaryon
2011-05-31, 10:51 PM
He gave me almost 20 books that are "Star Wars D20" related. However, there is 1 in there that has the cover of the 1st HTML link you linked.

Sorry for the late responses guys, I am out of town and on a wacky schedule.
Any help is appreciated. :smallsmile:

Another way to identify Saga edition is that all the books are square. It's really impossible to mistake them because of it.

But since you said the first link looked like the books you're using, and the way you mentioned Jedi Guardian sounds like it's a class (rather than a talent tree under the Jedi class like in Saga), it sounds like you're playing with the Revised Core Rules (RCR for short).

I'm not familiar with PF, so if you're mixing those books in I am unable to provide advice about them.

A few things about this system that you should know:

1. The rules for deflecting blasters with a lightsaber simply do not work. It costs you an action to try and do it, and all you get is an insignificant boost to Defense, and the ability to try and redirect bolts that would have missed you anyway. It really can't help you with shots that actually threaten you, and chances are you'll find that average thugs won't come close enough to your Defense for you to actually be able to redirect their shots anyway. You're better off simply ignoring that ability because it's almost completely useless.

2. Since this system uses Vitality/Wounds, combat is extremely deadly, doubly so when lightsabers are involved because of how Jedi get bonus damage dice with them. If you get critted with a lightsaber, you are probably dead. I highly recommend the Dissipate Energy feat at your earliest opportunity, to give you a better chance to survive.

3. If you have access to the Hero's Guide, somewhere in there are a list of Force techniques, such as Extend Force, Maximize Force, Split Force, and things like that. They are essentially the equivalent of metamagic feats for Force users, except that you don't need to spend a feat or anything to do them. You use them by adding multipliers to the vitality cost of your Force powers. Obviously you want to be careful not to go overboard with these, but they can be extremely useful when you want to target multiple enemies, or hit someone beyond the normal range of your powers.

You said in the OP that you want to lean towards the Dark Side. Are you planning to go full dark, or try to straddle the line as a "grey Jedi?"

Either way, being tainted (let alone completely dark) pretty much takes away the ability to use most of the Light Side Force feats and skills in the Power of the Jedi sourcebook. I suppose you could invest in them, but Force-users are stretched pretty thin on skills in this system, and investing in something to which you're going to have a sizable penalty is probably not worth it.

The majority of your toys will therefore come from the Core book and the Dark Side sourcebook.

No matter which way you go, you might look into the Lightsaber Defense feat tree (assuming you're going to use a lightsaber). Each one gives you a stacking +2 to Defense while you have an ignited lightsaber, which could come in handy if you want to be a tank.

You could grab Combat Expertise to increase your Defense, but just like in D&D it caps at +5 for no good reason. You can see if you can get your GM to rule that it caps at your base attack like Power Attack does; if not then I think there's a Superior Expertise feat in the Hero's Guide. Also, there's the problem that you can't use it while you're in Wookiee rage, so maybe it's not worth it.

As for skills, you should invest in Enhance Ability as much as you can. Remember that you can Enhance Ability twice - once each for Strength and Dexterity. And Battlemind isn't bad either, since it will help compensate for the attack penalties you would take for Combat Expertise or Power Attack. Between the two, you definitely want Enhance Ability more, though.

If you go full dark, you should consider grabbing the Sith Sorcery feat so that you can start putting ranks in the Alchemy skill. You can make yourself into a pretty sweet tank with that, giving yourself natural weapons, bumping up your size, getting a natural armor bonus, or adjust your ability scores. If you're trying to straddle the line, this may not be for you since you'll probably gain too many Dark Side points by augmenting yourself with alchemy.

I hope some of that helps.

WeeFreeMen
2011-06-02, 02:53 AM
Velaryon - Thank you very much, alot of useful info in there regarding the system. Allow me to update you on what is going to be used out of PF (PathFinder: Essentially a -cleaner- 3.5)

Wound/Vitality points are being dismissed for the Normal HP pool route, however, something was mentioned about Grevious wounds and some kind of Dismembering thing that can happen with Lightsabers. He wasn't very specific.

Also, as for the character, he wont be going Full Dark Side, Id like to keep him in the Grey Area. Ill give some insight as to why in a spoiler, as it involves some back-story.

Wookies, as you may or may not know, aren't very adept and skilled with the Force. The Dark side however, captured a few of my characters family and did experiments with "Forcibly Infusing the Force" into us. I ofcouse, was the only survivor and thus it is going to cause my character to seek vengeance and slowly drift into the Darker side of the Light side.. He will be in the Shade so to speak.

As for those feats, could you tell me more about these Tank feats? I think with Wookie Rage that is the way to go for me, since we have 2 Force Rangers and 1 Consultant? (The "Mage" force user, I apologize, Im away from my books. They are in Florida, Im still away on business)

Is it possible to have a Self Enhancing (as you mentioned), Intimidating, Battle-Tank? I had a 3.5 tank use Fear/Intimidate as a CC method for things outside his Reach. It should also be noted, I wanted him to use the Light-Saber staff that Darth Maul did, but if that rules out the Tank build, Ill negotiate. :smalltongue: Thank you for your insight.