PDA

View Full Version : Car trouble.

Admiral Squish
2011-05-30, 10:18 PM
Again, I come to the playground with a problem, hoping that you wonderful people have some kind of answer for me. I went to a movie, and when I came out, I tried to start my car. All seemed well, it started right up, the lights went on, the radio kicked in. But when I tried to back out of the parking space, I found that my car's shifter is stuck in park. Not sure why, not sure how, but it simply won't shift into reverse, and by extension, any other gear. My car is an automatic. The shifter will move, but it's like it's hitting some kind of immovable obstruction just before it reaches the 'reverse' position. I tried turning the wheel back and forth, turning the car on and off again, trying to make sure the shifter was in park properly in the first place, everything myself and everyone I called (those who would pick up the phone at 10:30 at night, at least) could think of. Anyways, right now, the car is sitting in a parking garage with a note under the windshield that says 'please don't tow my car, it won't shift, I'll be back in the morning to move it.' I'm visiting my brother, so I'm pretty far away from any of my usual mechanics, so the playground's advice would be appreciated. I'm going to go to sleep so I can try to get out there before 6:00, since that's the time is says 'no parking'. In the meantime, please leave suggestions/advice here, and I'll get them all come morning.

factotum
2011-05-31, 01:42 AM
Automatics usually have an interlock that prevents you putting them in gear without jumping through a few hoops--usually that means pressing a button on the gear lever, and sometimes also requires you to have your foot on the brake (at least, that's the case in Europe). Assuming you did everything that you normally would to change out of park (and believe me, I've made the mistake of forgetting something critical late at night and thinking the car is broken!) then that suggests the interlock mechanism is faulty. Not much you can do about that yourself, you'd need to get a qualified mechanic to look at it.

Poison_Fish
2011-05-31, 02:46 AM
Automatics usually have an interlock that prevents you putting them in gear without jumping through a few hoops--usually that means pressing a button on the gear lever, and sometimes also requires you to have your foot on the brake (at least, that's the case in Europe). Assuming you did everything that you normally would to change out of park (and believe me, I've made the mistake of forgetting something critical late at night and thinking the car is broken!) then that suggests the interlock mechanism is faulty. Not much you can do about that yourself, you'd need to get a qualified mechanic to look at it.

Basically confirming this. I drive a small car that when started, won't shift until I have my foot on the break.

Telonius
2011-05-31, 09:54 AM
I've had this sort of thing happen to me on an automatic once in a very great while. Using the brake usually solves it, though sometimes you really have to spike it (especially if your brakes are running a little soft to begin with).

Admiral Squish
2011-05-31, 09:58 AM
It appears the Transmission Safety Switch is broken. Apparently it was just hanging there. they might just have to replace that little part, but it might also be something in the wire harness. It's at the shop now. The guy said there's about a 30% chance of him getting to it today.