PDA

View Full Version : Item Familiars!

JKTrickster
2011-05-30, 10:40 PM
What's a good candidate to make an Item Familiar out of? It will be a PvP campaign so I have to be careful that it isn't something that will be destroyed.

And can someone explain the Spell Use function of the Item Familiar? Does it cast any spell that I can cast? Or does it only cast the invested spell (the one highest level spell that is always invested in it).

JKTrickster
2011-05-31, 10:09 PM
Wow this got passed over pretty quickly...wondered why this is being ignored?

blazingshadow
2011-05-31, 10:29 PM
lodestone curse seems like a good idea for an item familiar.

The-Mage-King
2011-05-31, 10:32 PM
Because you are a terrible person who drops out of campaigns with no notice and doesn't check his PMs? [/annoyed]

As for the original question... A sword.

And it only can cast the specific spell that's invested in it, I believe.

Glimbur
2011-05-31, 11:03 PM
Rings are generally pretty easy to hide. Gloves, gauntlets, etc. That does mean you can't shoot lightning bolts out of it (if they need line of effect) but it keeps it a bit safer.

Tvtyrant
2011-05-31, 11:52 PM
I like Rods where possible; they are tough and their abilities are usable everyday. Ultimate Item Familiar would be The Shadowstaff of course.

TheGeckoKing
2011-06-01, 08:01 AM
Small stuff like Magic Rings, maybe a Anklet of Translocation, heck, you could even make a slotless item and fluff it as a tattoo.
If your REALLY desperate and aren't reliant on weaponry, you could use this nasty bugger (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Minus_2_Sword) and use the curse to your advantage.

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-06-01, 10:31 AM
I like Rods where possible; they are tough and their abilities are usable everyday. Ultimate Item Familiar would be The Shadowstaff of course.

Can Wondrous Items/Artifact be turned into familiars? It would be a cool idea.

Small stuff like Magic Rings, maybe a Anklet of Translocation, heck, you could even make a slotless item and fluff it as a tattoo.
If your REALLY desperate and aren't reliant on weaponry, you could use this nasty bugger (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Minus_2_Sword) and use the curse to your advantage.

I love to tattoo idea. Just gives me the mental image of those villains with the moving tattoos.

I don't see why, if you're not dependent on weaponry, you'd shell out the 1500gp for a useless weapon though.

Zale
2011-06-01, 10:36 AM
Because you can't loose the cursed item?

Tvtyrant
2011-06-01, 10:38 AM
Yup, rods are explicitly pointed out as a type you can use. A rod of Lordly Might would be pretty sweet on a Warmage...

kestrel404
2011-06-01, 10:44 AM
I don't see why, if you're not dependent on weaponry, you'd shell out the 1500gp for a useless weapon though.

It cannot be lost, stolen or destroyed without the use of the three named spells (limited wish, miracle or wish).

mabriss lethe
2011-06-01, 03:15 PM
a standard -2 cursed sword can't be used as an item familiar. the item used must cost at least 2000 gp.

Tvtyrant
2011-06-01, 03:16 PM
a standard -2 cursed sword can't be used as an item familiar. the item used must cost at least 2000 gp.

Add other effects to it. Now it is :P

NNescio
2011-06-01, 03:18 PM
...Make it adamantine, and then....