PDA

View Full Version : Aquatic Campaign Classes

Orsen
2011-05-30, 11:15 PM
My DM told us he had one word for a campaign he's going to run "Pirates". He then went on to explain that we can be pirate hunters or something of that sort if we want to be good.
I'm here to ask for any suggestions people have for good aquatic class idea's. I always love playing an elf, but it's not necessary.
I've glanced through Stormwrack and like some of the options but have no past experience with any of it.
Any suggestions or experiences to share?
Thanks!

Vortling
2011-05-30, 11:19 PM
You couldn't go wrong with a dragonfire adept with the aquatic adaptation invocation or a plain old druid. Though if you want something more "swashbuckler" a swordsage or warblade could go well.

Thurbane
2011-05-31, 02:23 AM
Binder might be good for something a bit "off the wall". Focalor and Shax are handy vestiges for a seafaring adventure.

MerlinTheWizard
2011-05-31, 02:49 AM
If you played an aquatic elf then you could play as just about any class, but in terms of seafarers I always liked the concept of an ocean based ranger. A druid would work equally well, because both of these classes are good at handling wild terrain such as the ocean.

Lord.Sorasen
2011-05-31, 02:55 AM
Refluffing the dragonfire adept to base his power off something like a leviathan might be a neat and yet somehow different idea. I also like the idea of a cleric focused on weather type spells or something of the sort.

Swashbuckler seems made for this, if you like the more traditional feel, though I hear it's pretty weak. If you're going to be really low level, monks aren't any good either but there's an ACF that lets you run on water and no way around it that's really cool.

Optimator
2011-05-31, 04:20 AM
Do a Snowflake Wardance-based Bard. There are some fun and useful spells in Stormwrack for bards. Combine competent swasbluckler with a dash of magic to buff and keep safe in the ocean, mad skills and acrobatic class skills to boot, and then you have a very fun character for an aquatic campaign.

Killer Angel
2011-05-31, 04:53 AM
I'm here to ask for any suggestions people have for good aquatic class idea's. I always love playing an elf, but it's not necessary.

Do you wanna stay with terran races?
Anyway, for "hostile" natural enviroment, druid is always a solid class.

TroubleBrewing
2011-05-31, 07:03 AM
Druids win at aquatic campaigns.

Control Weather.

My personal choice is Warp Wood. Say goodbye to breathing, enemy ship.

Tvtyrant
2011-05-31, 07:06 AM
I think the standard Totemist and Binder would work well here, since they have a tremendous amount of options available.

Deadtissue
2011-05-31, 01:26 PM
I ran a campaign similar to that and the group of players were:

An Aventi archivist what this ships doctor and navigator;
The Marine Sgt was a Darfallan Barbarian/Fighter.
A Bugbear Rogue/Fighter was the Bosun's Mate.
A human Sorcerer/Blood Magus was the ships mage.
Wild Dwarf Barbarian/Druid was the ships cook and quartermaster
Captain was an Air Genasi Swashbuckler that nobody trusted "because what kind of captain has all their body parts?"

Each character was in charge of an aspect of the ships function so the Marine had a small contingent of NPC warriors, the Bosun Mate kept the sailors in line and controlled the watches, the quartermaster kept the cargo manifest and supplies, etc

Was alot of fun.

Orsen
2011-06-01, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the help everyone! I really liked all the idea's, but here's the ability scores I have to work with S:15 D:13 C:12 I:15 W:16 C: 14. The order is non-negotiable so I'm gonna go Druid.